Subwoofer Placement Comparison and what to do next?

tpoddar

Hey all,
I'm experimenting with subwoofer placement in my home theatre. And have tried two different locations:
1. Subs in front two corners
Front Two Corner.png
2. Front Right and Rear Left Corner Sub Placement
Front Right and Rear Left.png

As you will note from the dirac measurements taken here (UMIK-1 used hence should be pretty accurate), there's a major dip at 60hz when both subs are placed along the front wall. When I run dirac it is able to flatten the curve out completely using delay etc etc. but I believe in garbage in, garbage out and would like to place my subs to avoid nulls.

In the measurement where subs are placed in front right and rear left corner, the rear left corner does not show the same null as the earlier model but sacrifices low end extension. Again when running dirac bass control, the curve is completely flattened out. This is the setup I'm currently running.

I'm wondering if moving both subs to the back wall would be more beneficial as it would take care of the 60hz null while sacrificing low end extension? I only have these three options for sub placement and cannot place them anywhere else. Also, I assume there will be an SPL gain by placing the sub in the rear left corner as the rear left corner is 5-6ft closer in proximity compared to the front. I'm using small subs (SVS SB 1000 Pros) hence it might make a difference.

What do you think is the optimal setup? What other changes can I make to my room to improve bass performance? I have the option to place bass traps in the front two corners but that's about it.

Hey all,
I'm experimenting with subwoofer placement in my home theatre. And have tried two different locations:
1. Subs in front two corners
View attachment 86014
2. Front Right and Rear Left Corner Sub Placement
View attachment 86015

As you will note from the dirac measurements taken here (UMIK-1 used hence should be pretty accurate), there's a major dip at 60hz when both subs are placed along the front wall. When I run dirac it is able to flatten the curve out completely using delay etc etc. but I believe in garbage in, garbage out and would like to place my subs to avoid nulls.

In the measurement where subs are placed in front right and rear left corner, the rear left corner does not show the same null as the earlier model but sacrifices low end extension. Again when running dirac bass control, the curve is completely flattened out. This is the setup I'm currently running.

I'm wondering if moving both subs to the back wall would be more beneficial as it would take care of the 60hz null while sacrificing low end extension? I only have these three options for sub placement and cannot place them anywhere else. Also, I assume there will be an SPL gain by placing the sub in the rear left corner as the rear left corner is 5-6ft closer in proximity compared to the front. I'm using small subs (SVS SB 1000 Pros) hence it might make a difference.

What do you think is the optimal setup? What other changes can I make to my room to improve bass performance? I have the option to place bass traps in the front two corners but that's about it.
with proper delays you can get better response.

option two with one sub in the front right and another in the rear left gave me a much better result in terms of evenness in the bass region. Now I’m looking to add another 2 SVS SB 1000 Pros in the other corners for even more bass!

Do you evaluate by listening to music or do you only look at the measurement for deciding on the positioning of the subwoofers? Did you also measure your front left/right speakers?

option two with one sub in the front right and another in the rear left gave me a much better result in terms of evenness in the bass region. Now I’m looking to add another 2 SVS SB 1000 Pros in the other corners for even more bass!
you can get smooth response even with 2 subs for a single seating position. you just have to calibrate it correctly.

Not possible to place beside the front main speaker? Could be inner or outer, beside each speaker.

Subs are not great when put in a corner. You bring in "boom" more than anything else. Bringing them forward almost takes out all "boom" though you'll need to crank them to over 60% on the sub woofer gain. Thats okay though cause you're not maxing them out anyway and there is a level of control even from the pre amp or av receiver. You'll need to re run Audyssey or whatever other automated room correction software you use.

Not possible to place beside the front main speaker? Could be inner or outer, beside each speaker.

Subs are not great when put in a corner. You bring in "boom" more than anything else. Bringing them forward almost takes out all "boom" though you'll need to crank them to over 60% on the sub woofer gain. Thats okay though cause you're not maxing them out anyway and there is a level of control even from the pre amp or av receiver. You'll need to re run Audyssey or whatever other automated room correction software you use.
Did not work for me. Followed the harman sub placement guide and videos by anthony grimani which gave the best results.
please change it to 5 decibel intervals in vertical axis and change the tab to all spl. it looks like it is flat without any house curve.
house curve is applied, (20hz is +7db with gradual roll off +0db at 200hz). I did not take measurements for the entire 20hz to 20khz frequency range with this setup.
Screenshot 2024-08-30 at 7.45.39 PM.png

Did not work for me. Followed the harman sub placement guide and videos by anthony grimani which gave the best results.

house curve is applied, (20hz is +7db with gradual roll off +0db at 200hz). I did not take measurements for the entire 20hz to 20khz frequency range with this setup.
View attachment 86335
sub response does not look good. you are missing out lot of output below 60hz and you should not use any smoothening to check your sub response. without smoothening you can see even more problems. and it does not look like it has an house curve, 20hz output is 3 db lower than 80hz

With my sub in a stereo setup what I found works best is the subwoofer against the wall behind the flowerstandinf speakers . That gave me the best bass response.

a3f4d1d7-9048-4f62-9231-b9d6baeb0868.jpeg

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back