Upgrade Wharfedale speakers

Shafiqak

Hello everyone,,

I am planning to upgrade my Wharfedale D220 speakers with a bit more mid&high frequency outs. Looking for bookshelf ones under 30k.

Amplifier is Norge 1000.

Any suggestions appreciated 😊😊

Hello everyone,,

I am planning to upgrade my Wharfedale D220 speakers with a bit more mid&high frequency outs. Looking for bookshelf ones under 30k.

Amplifier is Norge 1000.

check indiq audio and klipsch 40m

I had same feel, so better buy a new amplifier, source is chromecast audio and Bluetooth as of now.. Any amplifier suggestions below 35k for music only?
Marantz pm6007. I also have it and it is very good for music. Prior to it, i used to play with yamaha as-500.

Marantz pm6007. I also have it and it is very good for music. Prior to it, i used to play with yamaha as-500.
What speakers do you have? Mine are 100W, will it be sufficient as pm6007 says 45w per channel.. I won't use it it high volume though

Hello everyone,,

Amplifier is Norge 1000.

Hi Shafiq,
I will not suggest you any speaker brand rather I will give you my opinion on the use of Norge Amp (concerto Gold 1000 with Wharfedale speakers). I am using this same amp with Wharfedale evo 4.1 bookshelf speakers mounted on sound foundation speaker stands (nemesis). The cables I use is of DAC brand OFC 12 awg (terminated at both ends with banana plugs of MX brand-Indian) To be very honest I find the mid and treble response more then adequate. The speakers are definitely much higher then the one you have but the amp is same and with the same tonal quality. I must say the amp is very good in it's mid tones presentation, please do not go by suggestions to change the amplifier as there is nothing wrong with it and nothing wrong with the combination of norge and wharfedale. Only the regular and long time user of this amp can say how good the amplifier is. As there is no room treatment done at my place I tweak the treble and bass to get the desired output and the distance of the speakers from the back and side walls (minimum 1 ft on all sides) .

As u have not written anything about how you have placed your set up and what type and gauge of speaker cables u are using and what is the input source. Please look at some crucial points as my suggestions are based on tweaking things rather then changing set up.

1. If you have no room treatment then tweak the bass and treble to get the desired result. You can keep bass and treble little high even at low to moderate volumes (say 20% above the neutral position). The neutral bass and treble is desirable when the room is in ideal condition, studio type set up/testing rooms.
2. Try to keep your speakers on proper sturdy speaker stands (with spikes) with proper distance like 1ft on all sides. I believe your speakers are back ported so you have to be careful of back wall distance. even if your speakers are on wooden cabinet shelf then also distance rule applies. Try to isolate your speakers from the surface with some adequate isolation material (rubber or spike based)
3. Analyze the quality of cables and use at least mid quality level cables. U can even buy good Indian cables or DIY.

Just do some experimentation, tweaking and I am sure you will have a properly synched system. This is all that is coming to my mind right now. Do attach some pics of your set up or write about it then someone can definitely guide u on the right thing to do.

Hi Shafiq,
I will not suggest you any speaker brand rather I will give you my opinion on the use of Norge Amp (concerto Gold 1000 with Wharfedale speakers). I am using this same amp with Wharfedale evo 4.1 bookshelf speakers mounted on sound foundation speaker stands (nemesis). The cables I use is of DAC brand OFC 12 awg (terminated at both ends with banana plugs of MX brand-Indian) To be very honest I find the mid and treble response more then adequate. The speakers are definitely much higher then the one you have but the amp is same and with the same tonal quality. I must say the amp is very good in it's mid tones presentation, please do not go by suggestions to change the amplifier as there is nothing wrong with it and nothing wrong with the combination of norge and wharfedale. Only the regular and long time user of this amp can say how good the amplifier is. As there is no room treatment done at my place I tweak the treble and bass to get the desired output and the distance of the speakers from the back and side walls (minimum 1 ft on all sides) .

As u have not written anything about how you have placed your set up and what type and gauge of speaker cables u are using and what is the input source. Please look at some crucial points as my suggestions are based on tweaking things rather then changing set up.

1. If you have no room treatment then tweak the bass and treble to get the desired result. You can keep bass and treble little high even at low to moderate volumes (say 20% above the neutral position). The neutral bass and treble is desirable when the room is in ideal condition, studio type set up/testing rooms.
2. Try to keep your speakers on proper sturdy speaker stands (with spikes) with proper distance like 1ft on all sides. I believe your speakers are back ported so you have to be careful of back wall distance. even if your speakers are on wooden cabinet shelf then also distance rule applies. Try to isolate your speakers from the surface with some adequate isolation material (rubber or spike based)
3. Analyze the quality of cables and use at least mid quality level cables. U can even buy good Indian cables or DIY.

Just do some experimentation, tweaking and I am sure you will have a properly synched system. This is all that is coming to my mind right now. Do attach some pics of your set up or write about it then someone can definitely guide u on the right thing to do.
Thank you so much for the suggestions, really appreciate..!!
will try the cables as well. Placements are kind of ok as you mentioned.. Have a custom made metal speaker stand. Speakers are down ported.. I saw a thread saying to increase tge gap between base and port. Have to see that as well..

Thank you so much for the suggestions, really appreciate..!!
will try the cables as well. Placements are kind of ok as you mentioned.. Have a custom made metal speaker stand. Speakers are down ported.. I saw a thread saying to increase tge gap between base and port. Have to see that as well..
It is entirely your choice to do this experiment with speaker as it is very inexpensive but I feel the factory configuration is the best as they test it under all possible usage conditions. Even I saw the video on you tube where the person has increased the distance between the base panel and the body of the speaker, I think the channel is "Utilitarian Tv" and he has done this experiment on wharfedale diamond 12.2. If you are already using 16awg or 14awg ofc cable then it is good enough as changing to 12awg cable will just give more bass enhancement and little bit on over all tonality. But I feel it is more phycological then in real as I have felt the same when changed from 16awg (ofc monster-standard) to 12awg (ofc DAC) few years back.

It is entirely your choice to do this experiment with speaker as it is very inexpensive but I feel the factory configuration is the best as they test it under all possible usage conditions. Even I saw the video on you tube where the person has increased the distance between the base panel and the body of the speaker, I think the channel is "Utilitarian Tv" and he has done this experiment on wharfedale diamond 12.2. If you are already using 16awg or 14awg ofc cable then it is good enough as changing to 12awg cable will just give more bass enhancement and little bit on over all tonality. But I feel it is more phycological then in real as I have felt the same when changed from 16awg (ofc monster-standard) to 12awg (ofc DAC) few years back.
I am using 14 gauge from amazon basics. Will consider changing that along with better rca cables before I think of buying new amp or speaker

I am using 14 gauge from amazon basics. Will consider changing that along with better rca cables before I think of buying new amp or speaker
Why you didn't write the problems younare facing with your speakers. Which frequency band is missing ?
Try using a Dedicated CD player or a Dedicated DAC initially. Belden speaker cables 8477/8473/8471 shall help boosting lost frequencies.
A simple tweak is to reduce cable length if possible preferably the RCA cables.
Bottlenecks can be Amplifier, Cables and most is Source. Try with a Turntable source.

Why you didn't write the problems younare facing with your speakers. Which frequency band is missing ?
Try using a Dedicated CD player or a Dedicated DAC initially. Belden speaker cables 8477/8473/8471 shall help boosting lost frequencies.
A simple tweak is to reduce cable length if possible preferably the RCA cables.
Bottlenecks can be Amplifier, Cables and most is Source. Try with a Turntable source.
Sure will try the cables first.. Not an expert to explain the issues ☺️, I feel it miss mid frequency and punch of high. Like a bit distorted when listening close..

You just mentioned your speaker, amplifier and speaker cable in multiple replies. Please elaborate your entire chain including source, DAC ( if any), interconnect, digital cable ( if any) and more over room size. Is it a living/bed room or a dedicated room?. These info will help members give you better suggestion. For your information amazon basic cable ( most of them) are not pure copper, they are copper coated aluminium cables. 2.5 sqmm electrical wires from polycom or similar standard brands will be a safer option here.

How far are your speakers from the front wall?

“Furthermore, the Diamond 220 exhibits a sense of weight and authority throughout the entire frequency range, which is closely related to its distance from the rear* wall – it is important to maintain an appropriate distance from the wall. If placed too far away, the sense of weight may be diluted, and the bass might become looser, losing its solidity.” - Hifireport

*: What the review calls rear wall is what we call front wall here

Try playing around with this distance and see if you get an improvement. .

You just mentioned your speaker, amplifier and speaker cable in multiple replies. Please elaborate your entire chain including source, DAC ( if any), interconnect, digital cable ( if any) and more over room size. Is it a living/bed room or a dedicated room?. These info will help members give you better suggestion. For your information amazon basic cable ( most of them) are not pure copper, they are copper coated aluminium cables. 2.5 sqmm electrical wires from polycom or similar standard brands will be a safer option here.

Chromecast audio/ Bluetooth tp link> Norge (with 3.5mm to rca cable, amazon basics). > polk audio psw10 inch> Wharfedale (both with amazon basics 14 Guage cable). Using high from amp to sub.

Mostly sub will be powered off for music.
I also have a rasppi with allo piano boss dac.

Attachments

• IMG-20240708-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240708-WA0004.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20240708-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240708-WA0002.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 26
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back