Upgrading to an AVR + HiFi from a Soundbar.

dannyarcher

Hello all,
I'm upgrading my meagre audio (Sony 5.1 soundbar) to an AVR Hi-Fi setup.
Living room of 11x20ft -- with TV on the 11ft end. I've a budget of 80K.
Use-case: Movies (streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime), Gaming (PS4 Pro) and occasional music.

After some research, I've finalised on the following options. Request your feedback on these.
AVR Options.png
I'm okay to sacrifice on the surround effect in the short-term, but crystal clear audio is most important.
Hopefully, I get a demo for the speaker options, once the lockdown ends.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Use-case: Movies (streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime), Gaming (PS4 Pro) and occasional music.

After some research, I've finalised on the following options. Request your feedback on these.
View attachment 45670
I'm okay to sacrifice on the surround effect in the short-term, but crystal clear audio is most important.

Thank you.

The Pioneer models have been measured by audiosciencereview and others too, and they perform quite well for their cost, while the other options here are wild cards with only subjective user opinions. Definitely stick with the same brand and same family within that brand when it comes to the center. You want a cohesive soundstage.

Try to audition the aforementioned models and few more and get something to your liking. Who knows, you may like something which measures bad but sounds good to you ;) As long as your ears like it, you're good to go.

Try to audition the aforementioned models and few more and get something to your liking. Who knows, you may like something which measures bad but sounds good to you ;) As long as your ears like it, you're good to go.

Yes, my hope is to get a demo once the lockdown ends :)

Hello all,

View attachment 45670

Thank you.
20k on a new sub may not be sufficient. If you can't invest more on sub now, plan to add one or two in the future and invest as much on better sounding fronts and other speakers.

If you are okay to look at used market, you may get nice products at bargain prices that at optimal levels, provide adequate bass in the room that measures 11x20ft. Brands like BIC America are VFM products and highly recommended.

I have the pioneer fs52 , c22 and bs22 5.1

The subwoofer is not much effective so definitely skip it. But the speakers are just amazing for starter like you/me. Would suggest to go for the 5.0

Which reciever are you looking at?

20k on a new sub may not be sufficient. If you can't invest more on sub now, plan to add one or two in the future and invest as much on better sounding fronts and other speakers.

If you are okay to look at used market, you may get nice products at bargain prices that at optimal levels, provide adequate bass in the room that measures 11x20ft. Brands like BIC America are VFM products and highly recommended.
Thank you for the reply. I'll skip the Sub for now. And, I'm open to look at the used market. Any places that I should look for reg. the used products, in addition to these forums? Please let me know.

I have the pioneer fs52 , c22 and bs22 5.1

The subwoofer is not much effective so definitely skip it. But the speakers are just amazing for starter like you/me. Would suggest to go for the 5.0

Which reciever are you looking at?
Great. Thanks for your reply. Are you using the BS22 as surround speakers?
Reg. the AVR -- I'm looking at the Pioneer VSX-834.

Thanks for the advice @Marakk. I'll try to stick to the same brand for AVR + center.
Front speakers and centre should be of same brand & series. I suggest floor standing for front as your's is a big room. With book shelf you will have to spend on speaker stand also & it will take same space with stand as fs.

Avr can be of different brand, you can also look at yamaha,marantz,denon,pioneer which ever you get good deal on.

I'll skip the Sub for now.
Yes, you can always add sub later.

Any places that I should look for reg. the used products, in addition to these forums?
You may look at olx to find preowned products at your locality.
Wherever you find, try to thoroughly check the product before working out on the deal.

Hi all,

I have one last question -- Should I buy a 5.1 AVR or a 7.1 AVR?
For the next 2-3 years -- I will only be using 5.1 setup and might consider adding 2 height speakers at a later point of time for Atmos.
So, should I buy a 5 channel AVR now and upgrade the receiver when the time is right?
Or, buy a receiver that is capable of 5.1.2 and not worry about upgrading the receiver?
(The price difference is 8k between the 5.1 and 7.1 receivers.)

Please let me know.

Last edited:
@All After going throw a list of many speakers, their prices and their reviews, I find that the setups of Pioneer - Andrew Jones and Q Acoustics (Q3020i for front, Q3090Ci for center, Q3010i for rear) are coming in the same price bracket.

While the Pioneers have floor-standers in them, the Q Acoustics doesn't.
Given my use-case of gaming + movies primarily and the inability to get a sub-woofer at the moment -- I'm wondering if Q Acoustics will be a bad choice?

Request your advice, please.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back