velodyne spl 1200 utra unboxing first impressions

karthi1000

hi folks i have been in the search for powerful sub woofer for the past 5 months , during my hunt i have learnt about sub woofers and also people! I narrowed my list to svs ultra 13, hsu mk4, rhytmik and velodyne spl1200 .most fellow members and reviews showed hand towards svs and hsu , both are internet direct companies , while svs has indian distributor hsu has none .since hsu wants their sub to repaired only by them in US whatever the repair is they will not ship the parts hence no indian distrubutor as of now . i try to buy rhytmik from SG since both volume and mass are on higher side i dropped the idea. ordered velodyne spl 1200 ultra from indian dealer since i expect 1000watt rms, local warranty, five star rating home delivery :)
here are the pics

intial listening exp
test system denon 4310, panasonic bdt 310, epson 8100, b&w 683 ,qed sub cable, partially treated room 25*18feet
Test ; bluray : transformers dark of moon , dvd: open range , dts demo dvd
few tamil songs in bluray
HT
sub out from avr connected to LFE of the sub ,room correction done by sub, after placing the sub in the place by crawl for your sub method:eek:hyeah:
SUBvolume 30/80( default) then audessey room correction done by avr . Sub volume calibrated using auddesey .After that test tone to see the levels I felt sub level is low to my taste hence I increased it to 40/80. First i played open range movie dts chapter 7 storm scene (this particular scene i love to hear in every system) i can feel :licklips:and hear the thunder following that the fall of wooden log. Again i can feel the thud that too coming from center spkr only . Chapter 14 : gun fight scene literally put a bullet into my stomach :clapping: this scene is spl because it starts from a wind passing through the grass to sudden gun explosion . I think all those who are on sub hunt should have this movie in hand for test
Dts demo disc
i played the eagles newyork city . Again the bass notes are clear and distinctive with a feel. Without any sign of distortion or fatigue even the bass guitar feels good .No localization of sub
transformers bluray for dts hd ma several scenes even better bass and thuds lots of air movement

Stereo set up nad pre 162 power 275,marantz cd8003 .Connected both extra pre out to sub freq set to 120 hz
in stereo listening song from paiya ACD ( tamil ), kadal soll neram ... bass is tight, no rumbling ,no interference in mid range ,no sub localization direstrait brother in arms same result
disclaimer
i am not a pro, i am not here to judge this sub by technical measurements not endorsing velodyne but what i didn't expect is this, sub of this size to give a visceral thud and also come clean in stereo in my room and setup . Anyway i am happy and waiting for the sub to run in . I will post again after 100 hrs of runin Any fellow member in search of powerful sub should give a audition to this
pros for me
superb packing good customer service by indian dealer,local warrenty
powerful amp ,sealed subwoofer no port noise
superb finish, remote
equalizer inbuilt with auto one touch room correction ,mic with stand
speaker level & rca input
small foot print ,Looks innocent
cons
nothing as of now for me!

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase.. Sometime back I was on the look out for Velodyne SPL 1200R but backed out due to budget constraint.I am happy U got this one.I liked the tight musical bass in the previous version.I am sure the 1200 Ultra will be too good:licklips:

Now I have settled done with the SYSTEM AUDIO SE 200 Subwoofer.:)

few points to add
IMHO sub should face the listener to feel the thud , if i keep the sub facing the driver towards me i can feel the air movement better. but for stereo listening u can keep the sub anywhere in the sweet spot facing the driver is not that imp. any thoughts?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back