Weight of transformers & capacitors = Amplifier capability? High instantaneous current capacity is the No.1 metric to look for, NOT RMS Watts

More reddit:
A speaker can come alive with a different amp, although higher wattage is not always the determining factor. Wattage is one characteristic/attribute of an amp (and an important one) but certainly not the only factor in how one particular amp will drive a particular speaker. Also, there are lots of other variables like placement, the room, etc.
I've built a few sets of speakers and owned lots more. But I've built quite a few amps and owned a lot of amp. I have a thing for amps.
Amps make more difference than some people think. To illustrate, years ago I built an amp from a kit that used a pretty sturdy power supply and used four (two in each channel) 6V6GT tubes (push-pull) for the output stage. A speaker building buddy of mine brought over his tower speakers he recently built to show them to me, and so I showed him the amp I just finished. We agreed it would be a good idea to drive his speakers with the amp.
He could not believe how much bass his speakers were producing. He accused me of running a sub in the room somewhere. I assured him there was no sub. It was simply the amp driving his speakers like he had not heard them driven before.
All that said, no amp can get something out of your speakers that isn't there--a crappy loudspeaker cannot turn into something magnificent with a great amp. But I think a lot of speakers are underserved by amps that do not bring out their full potential.
If you can, try your speakers with as many different kinds of amp as you can.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back