What AVR, Subwoofer/Separates to buy from US?

buxx

Hi everyone !

My folks are currently in the US and will come back next month.

I wish to upgrade my HT setup (currently a Denon 1610+ Mission M34i Floorstanders with Mission Centre and Surrounds, No subwoofer)

I am planning on these options:

1a. AV Receiver: Yamaha RX-V775(450$), Aventage RX-A830 (500$), Aventage RX-A1030 (700$)

OR

1b. a Preamp+ Multi Channel Amp combo: Outlaw Audio 975 Processor+5000 5channel Amp (1000$)

2. Subwoofer: Either the VTF-1 MK2 or the SVS PB-1000 (Movies usage mostly, 500$) or I can get one locally in India- what would be my options?

Lugging all of this will be a big challenge from US and they might have to pay for Extra Baggage, I am not sure...

My ideal budget to spend is about 1000-1200$. (INR 75K)

What do you guys feel would be the best way to achieve the most bang for my buck?

My primary requirement is for Movies and that too HD-rips. (720P)

Also, another factor very important to me is the reliability of the equipment-something that can last years if not decades.

Thank you all for your time and efforts !

Consider few things before buying an AVR.

1. Do not heats up immediately. It should expose the heat only after 2 hours of usage.
2. Should sound in detail even with audio songs.
3. Should have better video quality and video conversion.
4. HDMI version 2.0 or more
5. Good connectivity like WIFI, bluetooth and airplay if you want
6. Importantly it should have service here
7. Should support min 6 ohms of impedance

After deciding your avr which has all these capabilities, then go for the speakers which have 8 ohms.

Try for a demo and then buy speakers..

SVS sub's are available in India. I had pc 12 plus from audire Coimbatore at lesser price then. Now they are available in all metros. Service also good as I have received defective amp which they replaced immediately.

Since your are looking for an upgrade, would suggest get a high end denon avr which are relatively cheaper in the US. You may look at 4000 series with 220v models. Rest of the speakers and sub can be purchased in India since they are bulky

Since your are looking for an upgrade, would suggest get a high end denon avr which are relatively cheaper in the US. You may look at 4000 series with 220v models. Rest of the speakers and sub can be purchased in India since they are bulky

Do you get 220V models in US? I always thought that AVRs from US will be 120V and avoided them :-(

/Ajay

Do you get 220V models in US? I always thought that AVRs from US will be 120V and avoided them :-(

/Ajay

Yes there are some sites like 220 Volt Receivers & Amplifiers | Home Audio and one more called 220electronics or some other names which sell the dual voltage or India specific voltage electronics in US. I have not brought anything from them but some FMs have brought it in the forum.

Where are getting Yamaha RX A 1030 for 700$? Amazon ? That is a very good price... You may also consider Pioneer LX series...

As other FM have suggested, getting a dual voltage AVR is a good idea, but if they are expensive, getting a 110V version with a step down transfer is also good idea....

If you room is reasonably good enough, consider picking 2 subs than 1 expensive one.. (In India)

Buy something with a 220 switch.

And buy used. You anyway dont get warranty. There are people who use things fo r2-3 years and essentially sell it for 1/10 the $$$ of new. Craigslist is your friend.

If you told me what city you are, I'll find it on your local Craigslist and tell you.
Cool.
Srinath.

Thank you everyone !!!

I am planning to go with the 220V versions of the Yamaha A1030 (900$) & PB1000 Sub (500$)

Any final thoughts?

^^ Actually no.. Just inform them beforehand and they will ship the 220V version for you. In fact, they also told me that if you have a 110V version and want a 220V version- just remove the Amp from the Sub, ship it to them, they will make the necessary changes for $35.

That's one hell of a consumer-friendly company !!!

Emotiva just started a 10% flat discount on their entire range ( No E-club membership needed)

I am confused again !

Congrats!!!!
Would you please let me know how did you manage to get 220V AVR... Did you got it through some store or online?
I have been thinking to upgrade to higher model AVR (from US) but the voltage has always stopped me (My current AVR is 110v :) )

Bumping this up..

I am still in the market for a good (read first) Subwoofer and budget is flexible from 30-45K , Single or Dual Subs configuration. No size constraint , big Sub is better. 99% usage - Movies and that too HD rips.

Right now toying with :

1. BIC F12 (INR 30000) , doesn't break the bank now and gives me the flexibility of adding another F12 later

2. SVS PB-1000 (INR 45000) : this will be single ever

3. Dual X Pioneer 8W-MK2 (INR 13000 each)

My main Q is : will the Dual F12 be better than an ever single SVS PB-1000 ?

Dual (or more) subs are used to even the bass through he listening area and also to tame dead spots.

I am no trying to discourage you but,
Please note, configuring the whole thing with multiple subs can be a complicated thing unless you get lucky and it may end up with worse bass than a single sub can provide.

I tried with 2 then 3 subs and not sure where I got as of date [emoji51]

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back