What do I need?

Trevor Penn

I have a 5.1 HT system built around a Denon X1300W AVR connected to my LG OLED TV.

My usage is 90% movies/streaming content.
10% Music from my library of lossless as well as hi-res mp3 files.

I currently have my Music on USB drives / external HD. I connect this to the Denon AVR for my Music time. I find this setup very cumbersome and often a killjoy, so much so that i give up after some time.

The AVR takes a long time to display music files stored in USB drive. It is not very convenient to use and browse for specific songs/artists. However, i prefer the sound produced by the AVR as compared to when the USB is connected to TV.

What is the ideal setup to improve my user experience for music? What should i add to my set up?

Edit: Is a media player a good choice? Any specific suggestions? Can a player organise the music into artists/albms/genres/songs etc... ? Do these players come with a display or do they have to connect to a TV?

Last edited:
What is the ideal setup to improve my user experience for music? What should i add to my set up?

Denon x 1300 has network capability.. Both hard wired(Ethernet) & Wi-Fi..

If you don't want to spend much, add a 64GB micro SD to your mobile, copy all your favourite albums and use your mobile as source to play thru network..

This way you don't need anything other than mobile...

Denon x 1300 has network capability.. Both hard wired(Ethernet) & Wi-Fi..

If you don't want to spend much, add a 64GB micro SD to your mobile, copy all your favourite albums and use your mobile as source to play thru network..

This way you don't need anything other than mobile...

Any recommended android mobile app for music streaming?

Thank you. What will be the display in this setup. The TV or Mobile?

No display needs to be directly connected to the Rpi. You can use Mobile, Tab or laptop/desktop for control and playback. All of the softwares suggested are web based. Remember, you would need some kind of local network either Wireless or Ethernet depending on the version of Rpi you get. With Rpi, possibilities are endless, but need to get your hands dirty with basic linux. No worries there, lot of help in this forum and online.

No display needs to be directly connected to the Rpi. You can use Mobile, Tab or laptop/desktop for control and playback. All of the softwares suggested are web based. Remember, you would need some kind of local network either Wireless or Ethernet depending on the version of Rpi you get. With Rpi, possibilities are endless, but need to get your hands dirty with basic linux. No worries there, lot of help in this forum and online.

How does the Rpi connect to the AVR. Will HDMI or Optical cable suffice?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back