What is the best speaker that you have ever heard ?????

MrAcoustat

In more than 40 plus years this his the best that i have heard.

D.I.Y Acoustat Spectra 8800 - - - 41x102x10 inches 800 pounds of pure bliss.

Acoustat_Spectra_8800_05.jpg

Looks like a speaker!

How much money and time did you spend on it? What drivers? How many? Enclosure? Xover?

Hi ranjeetrain, #1 just about 12k - #2 always upgrading - #3 no drivers these are electrostatic speakers they use 9x46 inch panels this model as 8 panels - this model as 2 enclosures one with 6 panels and one with 2 - #4 these speakers have no xovers BUT they do have interfaces.

PS: The smaller model is my own modified 1+1s these are 14x94x3 inches 200 pounds they have only 2 - 9x46 inch panels stacked.

PS: More photos on my Flickr galery - - -
Flickr: mracoustat's Photostream

This looks like a 'modified' [double stacked] Sound Labs;
Probably this is a 'custom' Electrostatic Speaker - Amps used ?
The Wolcott Audio "Presence" Monoblock Tube Amplifier ??
Some details would be appreciated;

Looks like a speaker!

How much money and time did you spend on it? What drivers? How many? Enclosure? Xover?

Hi ranjeetrain, #1 Just about 12k - #2 Always upgrading it never ends :) - #3 There are no drivers these are electrostatic speakers they use 9x46 inch panels this model as 8 panels per side and i will post my model the 1+1 that uses only 2 - #4 The big model as 2 enclosures 1 with 6 panels and 1 with 2 panels the smaller model as only 2 panels in 1 enclosure - #5 There are no xovers but there are interfaces pictures included.

More pictures in my Flickr galery
- - - Flickr: mracoustat's Photostream

MrAcoustat modified 1+1 ( 1984 ) speaker.
Acoustat_Steel_Frame_25.jpg

Acoustat 1+1 interface
Interface_760x570_01.jpg

This looks like a 'modified' [double stacked] Sound Labs;
Probably this is a 'custom' Electrostatic Speaker - Amps used ?
The Wolcott Audio "Presence" Monoblock Tube Amplifier ??
Some details would be appreciated;

Like it say's on the post, this is a DIY Acoustat Spectra 8800 electrostatic speaker with 8 double stacked 9x46 inch panels, the amplifier is a highly modified Plinius SA-250MK1V - the preamps are Promitheus signature double c core - the cd player is a highly modified Ayon CD-1 with Burson amps and 6H30 tubes - there are also 2 JL Audio F-112 subwoofers in a very large room.

Like it say's on the post, this is a DIY Acoustat Spectra 8800 electrostatic speaker with 8 double stacked 9x46 inch panels, the amplifier is a highly modified Plinius SA-250MK1V - the preamps are Promitheus signature double c core - the cd player is a highly modified Ayon CD-1 with Burson amps and 6H30 tubes - there are also 2 JL Audio F-112 subwoofers in a very large room.

Dynaudio Consequence Speaker | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is one of my all time favourite speakers.
Did you like them ?
Nice pics on your link.
I also like the way in which you make them - good strong frame etc.
Are these speakers commercially available ?
Configuration ?
Cost ?
Thanks..

I like continuums, they are bbc ls3/5a clones, very natural sound...

but they get soundly thrashed by alpair 7 at their own game, thats the best speakers i have ever heard.

Hi ranjeetrain, #1 Just about 12k - #2 Always upgrading it never ends :) - #3 There are no drivers these are electrostatic speakers they use 9x46 inch panels this model as 8 panels per side and i will post my model the 1+1 that uses only 2 - #4 The big model as 2 enclosures 1 with 6 panels and 1 with 2 panels the smaller model as only 2 panels in 1 enclosure - #5 There are no xovers but there are interfaces pictures included.

More pictures in my Flickr galery
- - - Flickr: mracoustat's Photostream

MrAcoustat modified 1+1 ( 1984 ) speaker.
Acoustat_Steel_Frame_25.jpg

Acoustat 1+1 interface
Interface_760x570_01.jpg

That's a lot of panels. I was hoping there would be some dynamic transducers there as well for low end slam. But I guess your getting everything done with electrostats.

Here is a basic question for you, if I may. Does this arrangement suffer from the same problems as a line array of dynamic transducers?

If you don't have a Xover how do you get certain panels to do certain frequencies? I don't think you trust them all to do all the frequencies.

PS: Do you own (owned) all the gear in your photostream? Btw, your kids are disciplined :) And your cat is cute!

Hi ..Amongst the Best Sounding Speakers that I have heard so far are the Magnepan 1.7 MG ... which i purchased just over 2 years ago..Unfortunately one of them has stopped working ... owing to heavy corrosion and delamination ... possibly caused by Humidity although I live on the 14 th floor and about 2 kms away from the sea as the crow flies.
I am in touch with the dealer abroad from whom I purchased them and hoping I will get a set of new speaker panels or at least the repair kit which I believe consists of the Film/Foil and some adhesive .Thereafter I hope to get this fixed by a High End Audio Repair Expert .
Anyone been through a similar experience ?
What precautions do I take if these get replaced or repaired ?
Warranty is only for 1 year .
Gunjan

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back