Which chinese 2.1 amp for Edifier C3

also, bear in mind that at 12V, the amp can push out around 15W per channel (which is twice the rated power for the sattelites, but not enough for the sub which can take upto 30)
at 19V, you get a much healthier 40W. In both scenarios, remember that this amp is a lot more powerful than the speakers, so be careful while turning the volume up, especially on the satellites, which may get damaged if you run them at high volumes too long

also please check if you have connected the plus and minus of the speakers correctly - its very important for proper sound quality
So I went ahead and ordered a 19V laptop adapter on eBay however there is no change in the loudness at all. It's exactly the same as the Airtel STB adapter 12V adapter iv been using all this while. Could the 19V eBay adapter be a fake and not actually be 19V?

The only difference I've noticed is that the amp doesn't come on with the Airtel adapter if the volume is set to high, the green light keeps coming on and off unless I decrease the volume and then switch it on. Once on, I can increase the volume. With both adapters though, there is a pop while switching on and off. I hope that's nothing to be concerned about?

Should I return the laptop adapter since there's no difference in sound levels at all? I reconfirmed this with an android spl app as well.

94aeb5a7ca3329116b7185b33f716e9d.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Most likely the voltage will be alright (19 - 19.5V) but the current may not be as advertised.

19V x 4.7A is ~90 Watts, which is more than sufficient to power your amp.

One unscientific measure : any laptop adapter rated for 4.7A will be much heavier than something rated for 3.6A. If you have another laptop charger at hand just weigh them in your hand. A true 4.7A must feel hefty in the hands.

If i understand correctly, you are saying that the loudness is the same with both adapters at the same volumes, then this is expected. At low volumes settings, both adapters will give the same output

The difference will come when you turn it up (especially with bass heavy tracks), and the subwoofer output starts to approach 15w, at which point the sub will start distorting and finally may start cutting in and out.
Also the high volume scenario, i understand that if you turn the volume too high, the board doesn't turn on with the 12v adapter, but turns on with the 19v. This may be because of some protection on the board ( alternately some parasitic oscillation?) This is again expected.
You say that if you start at low volume and turn the volume up, there is no issue, but have you tried listening to some bass heavy stuff?

If your expectation is that the new power supply will let you play louder at the same volume setting, it will not happen. The only impact is that it will let your subwoofer handle more bass

If i understand correctly, you are saying that the loudness is the same with both adapters at the same volumes, then this is expected. At low volumes settings, both adapters will give the same output

The difference will come when you turn it up (especially with bass heavy tracks), and the subwoofer output starts to approach 15w, at which point the sub will start distorting and finally may start cutting in and out.
Also the high volume scenario, i understand that if you turn the volume too high, the board doesn't turn on with the 12v adapter, but turns on with the 19v. This may be because of some protection on the board ( alternately some parasitic oscillation?) This is again expected.
You say that if you start at low volume and turn the volume up, there is no issue, but have you tried listening to some bass heavy stuff?

If your expectation is that the new power supply will let you play louder at the same volume setting, it will not happen. The only impact is that it will let your subwoofer handle more bass
Yes, I expected it to play louder without having to turn the volume dial to about 3 o'clock or more for it to be really loud which was the case with the 12V 2A adapter. I thought that since it would now be about 40 watts per channel as against 15 watts previously, it would be much louder at the same volume setting depending on which adapter I used but I see no difference at all (even when turned up all the way).

I've not tried turning up the bass too much and have been using it at around 10 o'clock - 12 o'clock on the volume dial as I felt that was sufficient bass to sound good without overpowering the satellites. Will try turning up the bass to see if it makes any difference there.

The other reason it doesn't go much louder could probably be a limitation of the speakers themselves perhaps? Since the sats are only rated to 8 watts per channel and they were being driven at 15 watts with the 12v adapter anyway? Having said that, Im pretty sure the original edifier amp was quite a bit louder still. That had volume levels from 0-60 with about 30-35 being the level I'd usually listen to and 45/60 being very loud. Id very rarely go above 45-50 at the most. The original amp also had tone controls and I felt it went louder still when I increased the bass and treble using the tone controls. The max volume on this tpa3116 amp is somewhere around the 50 level mark on the edifier amp so the edifier would probably be about 20 percent louder . I'm not sure why this is the case though since this amp is technically way more powerful.

Will do a comparison with some bass heavy tracks tomorrow and update.

P.S. I was thinking of picking up some proper bookshelves once I audition them - Mission Lx2 maybe. Would I be able to run them off this amp along with the sub for the time being until I get a Q5 Pro or D802c? Or maybe just use this amp for a while and then pick up a Pm6006?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back