Which Integrated amplifier should I buy?

jayit

Hello Members,

I am quite new to the world of HiFi Music and till date it was limited to Mobile and Ipod !:)

Surprisingly I got a Linear Dynamics LD-340 speaker (old, imported from USA) for free from one of my friends who was not using it and thought I should give it a try.

I want it to connect to my existing Sony Bravia EX650 since it has very weak speakers.

It has one digital audio output and one hybrid audio/headphone out.

I understand that I need to buy a integrated amplifier, but I am confused which one will work. Need suggestion. Will Sonodyne sis 320 work (well within budget)?

Below is the speaker specification:

Min PWR required: 12 Watts
Max PWR capability 110 watts, RMS
eff: 91dB 1W, 1MTR
Nominal impedance 4-6 Ohms
Freq Resp: 38-23Khz +- 9dB
Crossover freq: 900Hz, 4000Hz

My room is 10X25 ft but the sofa is at a distance of 10ft from the TV.

My budget is around 20K for the amp at this moment.

I want to connect a DVD player (will buy, any sugestion welcome, budget 10K, should play from USB). Nice to have - connectivity to my mobile/ipod.

Need suggestion.

Maranz PM6004

XL_PM6004_N_SG_34.jpg

Hi,

The speakers will work easily on a decent powered integrated amplifier.

You could look at Cambridge Audio or Marantz which are available on HiFi Mart....

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 Amplifier

Marantz PM5004 Stereo Integrated Amplifier

These would fit into your stated budget, if you can stretch then go in for the next model series...both these amps are good in built quality and performance for music etc....

Instead of purchasing a DVD player, would suggest you go in for a Blu Ray player... Pioneer BDP 160k which has 2 USB ports....can read almost all formats of music / movies through pen drives and 1 tb external hard disks....The firmware of this player can be updated. Been using the same brand for over a year and the experience is awesome...

End of the day it all boils to what appeals to you in appearance, performance and of course budget...all the best...

If you are open to pre owned systems, checkout Hifi Ads or for Sale by Owner section where you might just get lucky and get a very good amp.

Since you are looking to connect the speakers to your TV I presume music is not your first preference. Music not being the preference you could look to get an AVR instead of an amplifier. With the AVR you have the versatility to add the DVD player/Blu Ray player, your STB and other devices to enjoy good quality sound and enjoy HDrips or DVDs/Bluray movies on the Sony TV. This I think is a better solution rather than going for an amplifier, purely because there is the TV involved here.
Entry level AVRs from Yamaha/Pioneer will come in the region of 22-23K and is a good investment in my opinion given your usage, and you can connect your phone/iPod to those as well.

Hello @ Maxprocrj , efernand1 - I like marantz PM5004 (in by Budget) and also PM6004(a little stretched budget :) ). But both of them does not have a Digital audio in. So how do i connect it with my TV? Please check my TV specifications.

And secondly both the amplifiers have a rated power of 35W and 45W (at 8ohm) respectively. So would they be able to drive a speaker with 110W max power rating?

Hi shibashis, I gave a thought to AV receivers and liked the idea. But I am a bit confused and would like to clarify if the AV receivers (for eg Yahama RX V377) would be able to support the tower speakers since they have a rating of Max power 110Watts whereas the receivers have 70Watts per channel. I would only use two tower speakers as of now.

Hi shibashis, I gave a thought to AV receivers and liked the idea. But I am a bit confused and would like to clarify if the AV receivers (for eg Yahama RX V377) would be able to support the tower speakers since they have a rating of Max power 110Watts whereas the receivers have 70Watts per channel. I would only use two tower speakers as of now.

The key here is 'Max power', the speakers then will handle a maximum power of 110 Watts. Ideally you should go for an AVR which can provide about 75-80 Watts to drive towers without stretching the AVR's capacity. You will have to spend more for such good clean power without performance compromise, the same applies for an amplifier as well.
I feel you should go with the AVR, and in this case an entry level AVR should sufficiently drive your speakers, if you can stretch your budget to 30K then of course you get a little higher models with more power at their disposal.

AVR is your solution, as the ones now a days will all offer you optical input as well, so you can connect your TV directly you wish to. Although if you have a HD STB then you will be connecting that with your AVR with HDMI, so no need for the TV optical out (a non HD STB will also connect to the AVR with analog audio and video RCA ports), even with a Bluray/DVD player it can be the same connection, but if you still need optical input then the AVRs will have more than one (likely one coaxial and another toslink).

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back