which speaker?

metalmickey

have an budget of 1.5 lakhs.open to both new and pre used suggestions. preferably front or down ported. room is 20*20 feet bedroom... music - vocal jazz,mostly female vocals.,acoustic and some 80's,early 90's hard rock/metal... midrange purity is what is important to me in a speaker...
amp is a musical fidelity a3.5 stereo integrated.
thanks in advance
regards
dr.sairam venkatesh

Audition the KEF R3. Reviews claim that it is a very well behaved speaker.
Don't get fooled by the size of the speaker. I've heard it out at the dealers.

I have the precursor to this model, the R300. It is very good for mids/vocals/highs.
Bass is also pretty good, but can misbehave with the room, if placed close to walls.

But then you have a big room; so there is enough placement/positioning possibilities.
Cheers,
Raghu

Audition the KEF R3. Reviews claim that it is a very well behaved speaker.
Don't get fooled by the size of the speaker. I've heard it out at the dealers.

I have the precursor to this model, the R300. It is very good for mids/vocals/highs.
Bass is also pretty good, but can misbehave with the room, if placed close to walls.

But then you have a big room; so there is enough placement/positioning possibilities.
Cheers,
Raghu
thanks for the suggestions Raghu was thinking of the kef q550 or 950?your take on that?

Hello, I had the Q500 for around 7 years till the drivers got damaged, still waiting for a replacement. I assume that the new version Q550 will sound similar. The mids and highs are exceptional, lows are not so. Being a sealed design, you can place it close to a wall boundary. There will be a slight impact on the soundstage depth if you place it right against the wall, but no boom from secondary reflections. Pairing is important, and you need good power, around 70W+ on 8Ohms IA which is warm sounding to make these perform at their best. Good luck!

thanks for the suggestions Raghu was thinking of the kef q550 or 950?your take on that?
The R series stand mount can beat the Q series towers in terms of sonic balance.
I have heard the older Q series. I felt the bass was muddied and this interfered with the mids/vocals.
Don't know about the newer avatar though.
Hear out the R series (old or new) and then form an opinion.

BTW, what are your current speakers?
Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
have an budget of 1.5 lakhs.open to both new and pre used suggestions. preferably front or down ported. room is 20*20 feet bedroom... music - vocal jazz,mostly female vocals.,acoustic and some 80's,early 90's hard rock/metal... midrange purity is what is important to me in a speaker...
amp is a musical fidelity a3.5 stereo integrated.
thanks in advance
regards
dr.sairam venkatesh

That's a good budget. Have you considered the kef ls50? It should be within your budget.

KEF LS 50

Or better still the LSX

LSX

MaSh

Hello, I had the Q500 for around 7 years till the drivers got damaged, still waiting for a replacement. I assume that the new version Q550 will sound similar. The mids and highs are exceptional, lows are not so. Being a sealed design, you can place it close to a wall boundary. There will be a slight impact on the soundstage depth if you place it right against the wall, but no boom from secondary reflections. Pairing is important, and you need good power, around 70W+ on 8Ohms IA which is warm sounding to make these perform at their best. Good luck!
thanks shortlisted q750 and 950 yet to audition. my amp is a bit neutral to warm...

r
The R series stand mount can beat the Q series towers in terms of sonic balance.
I have heard the older Q series. I felt the bass was muddied and this interfered with the mids/vocals.
Don't know about the newer avatar though.
Hear out the R series (old or new) and then form an opinion.

BTW, what are your current speakers?
Cheers,
Raghu
Raghu thanks again right nowi am stuck with a decade old b&w 602 s2. though old they've been my favorite for all this time.

Raghu thanks again right nowi am stuck with a decade old b&w 602 s2. though old they've been my favorite for all this time.
I came from B&W 300 series. KEF sound may appeal to you.

MaSh bro my buddy you started the kef fever...
Yeah. He's is a big KEF fanboy. He's heard my setup too.

Cheers,
Raghu

thanks shortlisted q750 and 950 yet to audition. my amp is a bit neutral to warm...

Skip the Q series and go for the R or the LS series.
MaSh bro my buddy you started the kef fever...
Well, very few speakers that can match the performance.

You could look at newer versions of B&W if you want to continue with the same signature. They do make great speakers. Since you say your amp is on the warm to neutral side, then you could also look at Klipshe and Polk speakers.

MaSh

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back