World musicians mourn the loss of Mali's 'king of kora' Toumani Diabate

Analogous

Toumani Diabate and the London Symphony Orchestra, in November 2009.

I wasn't aware of the artist, just downloaded related albums and I'm enjoying it. Thanks @Analogous.

Superb musician.
If you liked his music, you may also like othe fantastic musicians from the great African continent

Fela Kuti
Ali Farka Toure
Miriam Makeba
Hugh Masekela
Salif Keita
Youssou N’Dour
Oliver Mtukudzi

Just to name a few among many fabulous musicians.

There are some lovely bands like Tinariwen, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Amadou &Mariam, Die Antwoord and many more. Try them I am sure you will find some to your liking.

I wasn't aware of the artist, just downloaded related albums and I'm enjoying it. Thanks @Analogous.

Superb musician.

A bit on the Music of Mali

Music from this North African nation is as rich as it is catchy. It usually comes as a surprise when when one is exposed to it for the first time. To me, it came across as more evolved than the African music I’d listened to before. Kind of the difference between semi-classical and folk back in India.

I got into Malian music through Ali Farka Toure’s works a couple of decades ago. Toure’ was a legend by the time he finished and played a big role in getting world acclaim and following for Mali music. Toure and Diabate’s works together will be cherished by generations of world music lovers. Try the Grammy winner ‘In The Heart of the Moon’. Or ‘Ali and Toumani’. Of course the album I dig a lot is Toure’s guitar fusion with Ry Cooder in ‘Talking Timbuktu’. These albums all have a transcendental quality - close your eyes and listen to them, they’d transport you to a place in your imagination that is relaxing and mesmerising at the same time.

The desert blues band Tinariwen are another strong recommendation. This nomadic Tuareg tribe band with their Berber ancestry makes music that’s in between the African and Arabian while facing difficulties in a region ridden with conflicts. Their music has a lot of energy.

There’s also the blind couple Amadou & Mariam whose music is wonderful to listen to.

I am not as much of a fan of Afro Pop, but another Malian musician, Salif Keita, from the royal family, is a big name in that genre.

Diabate, whose family played the Kora instrument for generations, was famous for his collaborations. Listen to ‘Kulanjan’ with Taj Mahal. But for purist experience of the Kora, listen to his solo album ‘The Mande Variations’.

It’s sad that we are losing artists whom we followed dearly, across genres. But that’s the bane of being in your 50’s and above. At least, we have their albums to cherish.

Rest in peace, Toumani.

Thank you @Analogous and @sachinchavan 15865 . I was resourceful enough to get the songs. I'm mesmerized by Ali Farka Toure. I have heard Miriam Mebaka before. I have yet to listen to rest of the artists mentioned by you both. The music from African subcontinent has opened up a totall new world. This is like some time back someone posted about Japanese Jazz, it was a new experience for me. I'm totally loving Ali Farka Toure. One thing I couldn't help notice is the beats repeat in intervals of 3 compared to 4 which I'm accustomed to.

1722007662727.png

I believe the rhythms must have originated in Africa along with Homo Sapiens.
There is a rich tradition of music from the continent with fascinating elements like counter beats and such.
I have seen some performances where mesmerising percussion turns the entire audiences hypnotised and moving as a mass to the rhythm.

I believe the rhythms must have originated in Africa along with Homo Sapiens.
Very true. The IVC was founded by migration of hunter gatherers from Africa and the agriculture innovatists from Iran. The record of the first drum comes from IVC. The amalgation of these two migrants formed what is now known as AASI (ancient ancestral south indians).
There is a rich tradition of music from the continent with fascinating elements like counter beats and such.
I have seen some performances where mesmerising percussion turns the entire audiences hypnotised and moving as a mass to the rhythm.
My earliest experience with music with this continent was through a group known as Osibisa. They also once came to India and had their version of "Raghu Pati Raghav Rajaram"

Very true. The IVC was founded by migration of hunter gatherers from Africa and the agriculture innovatists from Iran. The record of the first drum comes from IVC. The amalgation of these two migrants formed what is now known as AASI (ancient ancestral south indians).

My earliest experience with music with this continent was through a group known as Osibisa. They also once came to India and had their version of "Raghu Pati Raghav Rajaram"
Yes indeed there is no scientific dispute that the origins of all humans alive today, everywhere, are from Africa. Every single person. DNA studies prove this conclusively. https://humanorigins.si.edu/education/introduction-human-evolution
The evolution of music and language seem to have been closely related in all parts of the world.

As migration out of Africa happened they carried their culture, social practices and learning with them. Those who did not migrate due to wars, climate induced famines or enforced slavery evolved and innovated over time, some highly sophisticated rhythm and music .

With modern mechanical transportation and electronic communication there has been widespread cross pollination of styles, instruments over the past 4-5 centuries. The origins of the entire Blues, Reggae, Samba, R&R and Jazz generes can be traced back to enslaved Africans in the Americas. These form the basis of all pop music hits everywhere today - Hollywood, Bollywood, K pop, bill board, Top of the charts etc.
Listen to this song in full as an example:

And today we are still discovering amazing music from this continent.🙂

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back