Adding a Power Amplifier to a Network Stereo Receiver

atozguy

I have Yamaha R-N800A Network Stereo Receiver. Its rated Output Power is 100 W per channel @ 8 ohms. I need to keep the volume to nearly 80% enough to drive the paired Wharfedale diamond 9.5 floorstanders (power rating: 150 Watts) to get it to normal audible level. I feel the sound stage gets widened only at this volume level.The Room size is 12 feet X 10 feet. Source: YouTube Videos, Mobile MP3 songs connected via Bluetooth.

I want to know whether the extreme volume level is normal with the setup. Also, I want to explore adding a Stereo Power Amplifier, keeping the Yamaha R-N800A as a Pre-amplifier.

I have a preference for these two Power Amplifiers - i.e. O&B's Dual Monoblock Power Amplifier DMB2180 and EMOTIVA XPA-2 Gen3 2 Channel Power Amplifier.

I have a few questions in this regard:

1. Is the extreme volume requirement is because of connecting the source through BT? For info, I keep my mobile volume also to 70-80%
2. Will there be an volume improvement if I connect my NR directly through ethernet cable with my router?
3. If adding a Power Amplifier will be a worthy upgrade, which one (from the above) will you suggest? I am looking for VFM., durability and also trouble-free operation. Any other suggestions also welcome.

Thank you for your insights in advance.

You can keep the phone level full. And I doubt the problem is somewhere else. Is the room correction taking a toll on volume?

You can keep the phone level full. And I doubt the problem is somewhere else. Is the room correction taking a toll on volume?
I did YPAO calibration for the room. The stereo system is placed in our living room which has 5.5 feet open access to Dining, bedrooms, Kitchen and two balconies. Need to test the system with new calibration in an unused bedroom with doors closed. Thank you for the suggestive question.

I did YPAO calibration for the room. The stereo system is placed in our living room which has 5.5 feet open access to Dining, bedrooms, Kitchen and two balconies. Need to test the system with new calibration in an unused bedroom with doors closed. Thank you for the suggestive question.
If there's an option to temporarily turn off the room correction, try it out in your current space.

I have Yamaha R-N800A Network Stereo Receiver. Its rated Output Power is 100 W per channel @ 8 ohms. I need to keep the volume to nearly 80% enough to drive the paired Wharfedale diamond 9.5 floorstanders (power rating: 150 Watts) to get it to normal audible level. I feel the sound stage gets widened only at this volume level.The Room size is 12 feet X 10 feet. Source: YouTube Videos, Mobile MP3 songs connected via Bluetooth.

I want to know whether the extreme volume level is normal with the setup. Also, I want to explore adding a Stereo Power Amplifier, keeping the Yamaha R-N800A as a Pre-amplifier.

I have a preference for these two Power Amplifiers - i.e. O&B's Dual Monoblock Power Amplifier DMB2180 and EMOTIVA XPA-2 Gen3 2 Channel Power Amplifier.

I have a few questions in this regard:

1. Is the extreme volume requirement is because of connecting the source through BT? For info, I keep my mobile volume also to 70-80%
2. Will there be an volume improvement if I connect my NR directly through ethernet cable with my router?
3. If adding a Power Amplifier will be a worthy upgrade, which one (from the above) will you suggest? I am looking for VFM., durability and also trouble-free operation. Any other suggestions also welcome.

Thank you for your insights in advance.
Anything more than 30-50% means you could be in distortion zone.
Irrespective of specifications, Wharfedales are not really sensitive, and sound really opens up with more power.

Last edited:
Try it out with a different source. Bluetooth is not a reliable source in my view.

For example :
- connect your TV using optical cable and play Youtube videos
- try playing via Spotify Connect

@atozguy
1. You can start by switching OFF YPAO.
2. Use the musiccast app for playback instead of bluetooth.
3. Use the Pure direct mode and see if that helps with getting better sound.
4. Using an ethernat cable is always better but its has nothing to do with increase or decrease in volume.

Try it out with a different source. Bluetooth is not a reliable source in my view.

For example :
- connect your TV using optical cable and play Youtube videos
- try playing via Spotify Connect
Thank you for your suggestion. I will share an update later.

@atozguy
1. You can start by switching OFF YPAO.
2. Use the musiccast app for playback instead of bluetooth.
3. Use the Pure direct mode and see if that helps with getting better sound.
4. Using an ethernat cable is always better but its has nothing to do with increase or decrease in volume.
Thank you for your suggestion and insights. I will update the outcome later.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back