AVR Suggestion - Chennai

Kevin16

Hi FM's

One of my close friend is highly influenced after seeing my basic HT setup and our forum and he is looking for AVR suggestion for his new HT build.

His budget is around 50k for AV alone.

Below AVR are under his budget.

Pioneer vsx-933 - 2 year warranty - From Dealer
Marantz NR1609 - 1 year warranty - From Dealer
Denon X1500 - 1 year warranty - From Dealer

Pioneer comes with a 2 year warranty (Checked with audioholic Chennai)

But, He is leaning towards grey purchase, Because the price is tempting, But again without warranty.

I have suggested him to stick with pioneer, Again Pioneer doesn't have the individual crossover options to tweak the speakers, Is it still good feature?

Please advice your valuable suggestions to finalise the best AVR, Should we stick to the dealer or grey?

I have suggested him to stick with pioneer, Again Pioneer doesn't have the individual crossover options to tweak the speakers, Is it still good feature?

It is still good choice with global crossover.. Would work fine.. If that is a concern, you may choose Onkyo too..

But, He is leaning towards grey purchase, Because the price is tempting, But again without warranty.Please advice your valuable suggestions to finalise the best AVR, Should we stick to the dealer or grey?

It is up-to his risk taking ability.. Onkyo TX-RZ 730 is also a good choice, close to his budget..

It is still good choice with global crossover.. Would work fine.. If that is a concern, you may choose Onkyo too..

It is up-to his risk taking ability.. Onkyo TX-RZ 730 is also a good choice, close to his budget..

Sure elango, WIll check Onkyo TX-RZ 730 aswell this week

You are not allowed to talk about grey market deals etc on the forum. If u wish to do so, take it offline :)

And go the preowned route. I think Elango has his avr for sale which is way better than the three u mentioned.

+1

Individual crossover is over rated. After trying different crossover points on my speakers over 4 years. I've realized that one global crossover point of 80hz works best for me. So if everything else is fine, then I don't think that should be limiting point at the purchasing decision. If pioneer provide a global crossover, there must be a reason why. And I learnt it the hard way :D

+1

Individual crossover is over rated. After trying different crossover points on my speakers over 4 years. I've realized that one global crossover point of 80hz works best for me. So if everything else is fine, then I don't think that should be limiting point at the purchasing decision. If pioneer provide a global crossover, there must be a reason why. And I learnt it the hard way :D

Fully agree with you newlash. After experimenting for over a year ,even I have settled at 90hz crossover for all speakers. Offcourse mine are identical small wall mounted Oberon 1's for fronts & surrounds & not floorstanders so I guess a global crossover makes sense in my case.

Fully agree with you newlash. After experimenting for over a year ,even I have settled at 90hz crossover for all speakers. Offcourse mine are identical small wall mounted Oberon 1's for fronts & surrounds & not floorstanders so I guess a global crossover makes sense in my case.

Hi nitin...thanks for getting back..I think a global crossover works everywhere. My floor stander do go down to 46hz at - 3 db..
So I was foolishly trying to strain the amp to drive it to 60hz. Which I now know was foolishness :D

Hi nitin...thanks for getting back..I think a global crossover works everywhere. My floor stander do go down to 46hz at - 3 db..
So I was foolishly trying to strain the amp to drive it to 60hz. Which I now know was foolishness :D

Most welcome Newlash, good to hear from you:). I think 80hz works well in most cases.

+1

Well I would have to disagree here. In my set up I have had the fronts to 90 or80, surrrounds to 100 and my atmos speakers for 110. And this gives the best performance to my speakers and room. So definitely individual crossovers are not over rated. I have also tested all speakers with same crossovers and it did not sound good in my room. So definitely it’s worth buying an avr that has individual crossovers. I avoided 503 just for this reason and went with the Denon 4500. Some cases all speakers 80hz will work just fine and some cases definitely not. So best just get an avr that will have individual crossovers

Last edited:
Ok.. because you used a satellite speaker, you were using a higher crossover..

If someone had an in-ceiling speaker / or any small booksehlf speakers, 80 / 90 Hz speakers is still fine..
Yeah like I said some cases global crossover works and in some cases it won’t. Now I use elevations and kept them at 100. Keeping all speakers at same 80 doesn’t sound good in my room. So best always go for an avr tat has individual crossover’s

Well I would have to disagree here. In my set up I have had the fronts to 90 or80, surrrounds to 100 and my atmos speakers for 110. And this gives the best performance to my speakers and room. So definitely individual crossovers are not over rated. I have also tested all speakers with same crossovers and it did not sound good in my room. So definitely it’s worth buying an avr that has individual crossovers. I avoided 503 just for this reason and went with the Denon 4500. Some cases all speakers 80hz will work just fine and some cases definitely not. So best just get an avr that will have individual crossovers

Love4sound, in your case it may work since you have different speakers & of different sizes & make.

Love4sound, in your case it may work since you have different speakers & of different sizes & make.
My main speakers are all dalis. Only the atmos is svs elevations. For a 5.1 or basic HT set up I guess a global crossover with all speakers set to 80 or 90 should work just fine. But definitely in an atmos set up and using tower speakers etc, definitely having an individual crossover helps.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back