Bedroom stereo setup upgrade

amitanubha

Hello everyone
This is my second post and I really enjoy reading highly helping and knowledgeable community
I recently bought a pair of bno a5 actives and using them in stereo pair, and it rekindled my love of music
They are very decent and I love them for size and price
Now itch for so called upgrade to proper setup started (I will move them to living room )
I have been trying to understand my needs and budget, and figured that reasonable wide but soundstage with depth is what I m looking and I have no option but to stick close to back wall
I listened few places and here are my short listed spkr/amp and streamer search ongoing
SF lumina, MA silver, B&W 600 series
Amp wise integrated Rotel / Audiolab or parasound / Rotel power amp
Big confusion is bookshelves vs floorstanders , don’t want integrate sub due to space but bookshelf would be ideal
Budget 5L , stretch only if worthy beyond this
2 queries I have
1. Will passives be a real upgrade from current setup
2. Will floorstanders be ideal for separation and itch of next level details or bookshelves can create same magic
Need to listen low to moderate volume and very sensitive to harsh treble but love it for airiness if done right

Source is exclusive Apple Music and YouTube music (I know but it has great recommendations and I don’t have to change songs something works) both paid version so supposedly high quality

Attachments

• IMG_2599.jpeg
    IMG_2599.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 94
Yes, it will be a huge upgrade from your current setup. and your budget is also really good. From your shortlisted speaker list, any day Sonus Faber looks also very premium, but b&w gives more base response. You can consider the B&W 700 series too. You also audition tannoy, dynaudio, and Buchard.

If you have a big room, tower speakers are good, and they also give you more frequency range without a subwoofer. But if you are looking for the perfect stereo, then a bookshelf is ideal; they have perfect vocal imagining.(But in the end, it's up to your usage.) You can add a dual Rel T series subwoofer in combination with the bookshelf; it doesn't take a lot of space, but it will be a crazy setup. amp/preamp/streamers other FM's can give you an idea.

Hello everyone
This is my second post and I really enjoy reading highly helping and knowledgeable community
I recently bought a pair of bno a5 actives and using them in stereo pair, and it rekindled my love of music
They are very decent and I love them for size and price
Now itch for so called upgrade to proper setup started (I will move them to living room )
I have been trying to understand my needs and budget, and figured that reasonable wide but soundstage with depth is what I m looking and I have no option but to stick close to back wall
I listened few places and here are my short listed spkr/amp and streamer search ongoing
SF lumina, MA silver, B&W 600 series
Amp wise integrated Rotel / Audiolab or parasound / Rotel power amp
Big confusion is bookshelves vs floorstanders , don’t want integrate sub due to space but bookshelf would be ideal
Budget 5L , stretch only if worthy beyond this
2 queries I have
1. Will passives be a real upgrade from current setup
2. Will floorstanders be ideal for separation and itch of next level details or bookshelves can create same magic
Need to listen low to moderate volume and very sensitive to harsh treble but love it for airiness if done right

Source is exclusive Apple Music and YouTube music (I know but it has great recommendations and I don’t have to change songs something works) both paid version so supposedly high quality
5L is a very very healthy budget to get great sound. Since I see a TV in the pic, I would suggest going for an all-in-one streamer / dac / preamp with hdmi in/outs to integrate TV viewing into the 2 channel system. You might consider selling the sound bar to add to the kitty.

For the All-in-one, the Fiio R9 seems to be a good option, as it has hdmi in/outs and reviews seem to be very positive. I think this will be in the 1.3 to 1.4 L ball park, which leaves another 3.6 L for speakers + amp. If you want to avoid clutter, you can consider active bookshelf speakers like the Elac Navis ARB-51 which are supposed to be superb. And just connect them to the Fiio R9 via Xlr cables. This will make for a very tidy but great sounding system.

The other option is passive speakers + power amp. But if you have to place them very close to back wall, then too much or bloaty bass might become an issue with floor standers. If the room is medium size, and if your listening distance is less than 10 feet, then bookshelves will do wonderfully. All the best :)

Yes, it will be a huge upgrade from your current setup. and your budget is also really good. From your shortlisted speaker list, any day Sonus Faber looks also very premium, but b&w gives more base response. You can consider the B&W 700 series too. You also audition tannoy, dynaudio, and Buchard.

If you have a big room, tower speakers are good, and they also give you more frequency range without a subwoofer. But if you are looking for the perfect stereo, then a bookshelf is ideal; they have perfect vocal imagining.(But in the end, it's up to your usage.) You can add a dual Rel T series subwoofer in combination with the bookshelf; it doesn't take a lot of space, but it will be a crazy setup. amp/preamp/streamers other FM's can give you an idea.
Where can I audition dynaudio in Bangalore and if bookshelf speakers will lumina 2 or b&w 706 s3 keeping within overall budget

Same space as current ones basically replace them
Floorstanders look unlikely to fit unless placed infront of the side table. Bookshelves will be better suited but again there will be compromises in sound due to the placement on the side tables which you should keep in mind before putting the money in. Manohar's suggestion sits well for you. All in one like nad m10v2 or rotel s14 are choices worth looking to keep things looking neat.

Soundbar is. Bose 900 with surround setup and smaller sub so movies are covered and not planning to sell as I enjoy atmos shows and movies as well
Also not interested to replace current active with other actives as you have to visit my home to hear they are really great actually in stereo mode
I can’t avoid placing for now close to walls and either I chose good floor standers in basic range or bookshelves for next range of whichever company sound signature I prefer. Somehow leaning for floorstnders for separation and height and don’t think bookshelves would be upgrade from Bno ( I mean they have 5.25 woofer)
Listening distance is corner of bed back wall around 10ft

Floorstanders look unlikely to fit unless placed infront of the side table. Bookshelves will be better suited but again there will be compromises in sound due to the placement on the side tables which you should keep in mind before putting the money in. Manohar's suggestion sits well for you. All in one like nad m10v2 or rotel s14 are choices worth looking to keep things looking neat.
They will fit I have made measurements , table will be moved

If you can place it at least 2 feet away from the wall, you can go with a bookshelf. @Phew and @Yelamanchili manohar suggested that if you go with all-in-one components, it looks more neat.
Where can I audition dynaudio in Bangalore and if bookshelf speakers will lumina 2 or b&w 706 s3 keeping within overall budget
about auditions, sonus fabar, and dynaudio, I don't know the delaers in Bangalore. I think Av Store deals SF

Couldn't imagine how the left Floorstander would fit inside the cabinet in which the dyson sits, but since you say you have taken measurements then Floorstander it is.
I have heard the SF lumina V and rotel s14 combo at a friends house placed in the living room, sounds easy, laid back, bit bass heavy(read boomy) as the speakers are hardly 7-8inches from the wall behind because of which no depth to speak of but the soundstage is wide and well defined as sidewalls are a good 5odd feet away from either speakers.

Yes 15inch depth and 13 inch wide and eventually in one year I plan to remove whole wooden structure ( my second kid is abt to go to college next) . Will reclaim both space and life 😁
And yes I heard lumina v and instantly fell in love but now the more I think I prefer b&w esp s3 is not bright . S2 I could never buy but new ones are great. Now in terms of bass tami g maybe tone controls or dsp based streamer dac is ideal , but don’t know much about streamers . Nad and others are not having enough juice and not for loudness but for volume they drive easily full stage if enough juice so trending to Rotel 1592mk2

Yes 15inch depth and 13 inch wide and eventually in one year I plan to remove whole wooden structure ( my second kid is abt to go to college next) . Will reclaim both space and life 😁
And yes I heard lumina v and instantly fell in love but now the more I think I prefer b&w esp s3 is not bright . S2 I could never buy but new ones are great. Now in terms of bass tami g maybe tone controls or dsp based streamer dac is ideal , but don’t know much about streamers . Nad and others are not having enough juice and not for loudness but for volume they drive easily full stage if enough juice so trending to Rotel 1592mk2

Attachments

• IMG_2577.jpeg
    IMG_2577.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2578.jpeg
    IMG_2578.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 61
Had a home demo from Nad few weeks back didn’t like but pics can give some idea of space

Attachments

• IMG_2577.jpeg
    IMG_2577.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 79
Putting speakers so close to the wall with rear port is going to make any half decent speaker sound average. Speakers like the psb passif 50, klh model 5 or a sealed speaker will be better for such a placement.

Putting speakers so close to the wall with rear port is going to make any half decent speaker sound average. Speakers like the psb passif 50, klh model 5 or a sealed speaker will be better for such a placement.
Lumina have bottom firing port so those will also work I guess

Correct - you just can't place speakers in that manner and no even sealed or PR speakers won't sound good.

You will not get any stage or imaging or layering whatsoever.

Lumina have bottom firing port so those will also work I guess

Sealed > front/bottom ported > rear ported, in your case the direction to take if keeping the speakers are so close to the wall.
Pulling the the right and left speaker further in line with the pillar on the right will give better sound in terms of soundstage, Imaging, depth.

Yes tough choice due to bedroom layout. Later I might move them to living room where I will have space to position better.
Coming to amp suggestions then something with room correction will make a difference and if yes what options I have including sufficient power ? Yamaha rn1000 ?
Also how much difference does 100w bs 140 bs 200w amp will make . I was finally zeroing on Rotel Ras 5000 single box streaming amp with 140w hoping it is good enough to drive lumina v (rated 86db @4 ohms) pls suggest on amp / streamer side of solution

Yes tough choice due to bedroom layout. Later I might move them to living room where I will have space to position better.
Coming to amp suggestions then something with room correction will make a difference and if yes what options I have including sufficient power ? Yamaha rn1000 ?
Also how much difference does 100w bs 140 bs 200w amp will make . I was finally zeroing on Rotel Ras 5000 single box streaming amp with 140w hoping it is good enough to drive lumina v (rated 86db @4 ohms) pls suggest on amp / streamer side of solution

You can check with SF dealer for Sonetto III(non G2) version, its priced very well now that the series is discountinued recently, its gonna need a budget stretch by a little but a much better speaker can be had for slightly higher price than the lumina V.

The rotel will not have any issues driving either speakers to sensible loudness volumes.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back