Best powered speakers under 35k?

Oeb

I'm wondering if I go the powered route, what would be best, competitively priced speakers in that price range available in India/Kolkata, and would it give as much bang for buck as passives with amp? Please suggest brands/models.

I'm wondering if I go the powered route, what would be best, competitively priced speakers in that price range available in India/Kolkata, and would it give as much bang for buck as passives with amp? Please suggest brands/models.

Audio Engine A5 is a very good powered speakers...No doubt.... Almost every review on the net have given them 4/5 stars.... But why spend on active speakers when you have good budget ?

Moreover they restrict your customization/upgrade path....

If you aren't stuck to active speakers, you can look @ good stereo amplifiers & BS combo within your budget...

Actually even Audioengine around 35k would outperform most separates in that price range. Getting similar performance within that budget will be difficult in my view within branded speakers+amp combo. Unless you go for custom builds like Hari iyer's transmission line bookshelves with maybe a norge amp. Otherwise I would say buy the Audioengine.

Edit: correction even that combo will go to 50k. So no, you won't find a speaker amp combo to outperform the AE within 35k

... rather than Active speakers as it would block his upgrade path...

The upgrade path is never blocked! There are always going to be better active speakers :ohyeah:

Today, 35k, next year, 60k, after that 1 lakh, the 3.5 lakh... No end to the "upgrade" path.

Although, I have long been thinking that, for nearly 1 Lakh for a pair of small actives, I could get speakers for life. With speakers for life, who needs an upgrade path? :cool:

More seriously, I see there can be a perceived lack of flexibility with actives. I also see that the buyer cannot list out his amp, cables, speakers, and claim the credit for the "synergy" that he has achieved. But it is simply moving that process upstream to an engineer who has exactly matched the components. On the one side, the buyer misses some experience and fun, and on the other, the result could be superior.

It's a case of choosing one's path...

The upgrade path is never blocked! There are always going to be better active speakers :ohyeah:

Today, 35k, next year, 60k, after that 1 lakh, the 3.5 lakh... No end to the "upgrade" path.

Although, I have long been thinking that, for nearly 1 Lakh for a pair of small actives, I could get speakers for life. With speakers for life, who needs an upgrade path? :cool:

More seriously, I see there can be a perceived lack of flexibility with actives. I also see that the buyer cannot list out his amp, cables, speakers, and claim the credit for the "synergy" that he has achieved. But it is simply moving that process upstream to an engineer who has exactly matched the components. On the one side, the buyer misses some experience and fun, and on the other, the result could be superior.

It's a case of choosing one's path...

Hmmm.... I understand that Active speakers outperfom the passive speakers for the same budget (or) many times the budget.....

But these Audio Engine A5 is a powered speaker... I think they dont have active crossover which is the highlight of Active speaker....

So A5 is essentially an powered speaker with a passive crossover...

What is your music preference, and also, what will your source be ?

Actives are nowadays a crowded place, unlike a few years ago.

All I can say is you will get a decent active system for 35K.

Hmmm.... I understand that Active speakers outperfom the passive speakers for the same budget (or) many times the budget.....

But these Audio Engine A5 is a powered speaker... I think they dont have active crossover which is the highlight of Active speaker....

So A5 is essentially an powered speaker with a passive crossover...

True. But the fact remains it will be very difficult to find separates within 35k which will sound better than the AE5. at that budget you can't buy anything apart from a norge amp, leaving very little for the speaker. unless of course you go for a tripath amp. But that'll have it's own set of issues.

I recently bought one tripath amp (indeed ta20) as a stop gap amp to drive my newest acquisition...Hari iyer's transmission line kevlar bookshelves... And although the tripath amp sounds really good, and the speaker sounds amazing with them, I will have to say it's good as a second amp to maybe carry around for auditions etc as you know the sound signature it gives. Problem is it lacks power reserves to give enough when there's a low end thump which i found when listening to them on a class a amp (nothing fancy, it's a vintage sony amp that hari has kept for himself). And that too with hari's speakers which are having sensitivity of 90db. Of course these speakers go down to about 35 hz, so could be an issue with the tripath amp to go so low, but as a general rule, I think it'll be dicey to pair 30k+ speakers with the tripath amps.

True. But the fact remains it will be very difficult to find separates within 35k which will sound better than the AE5. at that budget you can't buy anything apart from a norge amp, leaving very little for the speaker. unless of course you go for a tripath amp. But that'll have it's own set of issues.

We have very own Sonodyne Sia 310/320 + Sonus 1501 BS for <=30K...... I haven't heard Audio Engine A5....But this is a decent stereo setup... We have the Norge too...

The flexibility which you get from an amplifier + BS combo, you may not get it with powered speakers....

I haven't had a chance to audition Hari's TL BS/FS yet....

So, I want to know - I don't want to be restricted to a nearfield setup, and I want my music to sound loud and good to fill a small hallroom and me sitting at the opposite end also. So where should I look for active speakers that are not nearfield speakers?

So, I want to know - I don't want to be restricted to a nearfield setup, and I want my music to sound loud and good to fill a small hallroom and me sitting at the opposite end also. So where should I look for active speakers that are not nearfield speakers?

I don't know enough about this complex subject, but remember reading a very insightful post by Kartik who is a recording engineer and was doing work for AR Rahman.

I got convinced by the post and the thread that all speakers would be suitable for farfield listening. Nearfield is less than 2-3 ft anyway (4x radius of driver) and I would imagine that only desktop/workstation speakers would ever be this close to our ears.

I was doing some research earlier on active speakers, and remember that studio speakers were offering the best actives. You might want to look at the studio/pro audio shops instead of hifi shops.

KRK Rokit and Behringer Truths were both in the budget end of active speakers. Genelec, Adam Audio, and Dynaudio in the high end.

A very interesting and attractively priced option is Emotiva Airmotiv4 or Airmotiv5.

Last edited:
You can check out the KRK Rokit series, I had a quote for the stock available from the distributor, listed below

KRK RP 5 G2 - Rs. 24,000 pair Black - Rs. 26,000 pair White
KRK VXT 4 Rs.49,000pair
KRK VXT 8 Rs.90,000pair
KRK RP 10-3 Rs.90,000 pair.

dealer representative mail id : [email protected]

the price quoted was in the month of Dec '13, I don't know if they have changed prices, please enquire

You can check out the KRK Rokit series, I had a quote for the stock available from the distributor, listed below

KRK RP 5 G2 - Rs. 24,000 pair Black - Rs. 26,000 pair White
KRK VXT 4 Rs.49,000pair
KRK VXT 8 Rs.90,000pair
KRK RP 10-3 Rs.90,000 pair.

dealer representative mail id : [email protected]

the price quoted was in the month of Dec '13, I don't know if they have changed prices, please enquire

The KRK's seem to be popular. I'll look into them. But on one forum I read:

" I had a set of KRK RP5s on my desk and now I have a pair of Paradigm Micro v6. IMO, the Paradigms sound better, clearer, better imaging.
Maybe they aren't as "balanced" as a studio monitor, but they are definitely more exciting to listen to. "

I'm not sure. I want a really tremendous, exciting soundstage with clear music. How do KRKs compare to Aktimate Micro and Mini+, or Audioengine A5? Those seem to be popular also. Any other recommendations?

Also, Those Aktimates seem nice but is iPod the only player they support? I'm a free software enthusiast so I'm not too keen about that.

I heard the KRKs when I bought my lowly M-Audio. I thought they sounded fantastic, but could not afford them then. The lower end KRKs certainly seem to be regarded less highly than Adam, Genelec, etc, but then they are cheaper. We have to settle, in the end for what we can afford.

For a modest sum, this in our for-sale forum could be very good value.

Here's another idea: Equator D Series. You can see the USD price on their site. Here is an Indian dealer: ProMusicals, Chennai. Their page shows Rp pricing.

Can someone help me make up my mind, after reading that Aktimate Minis are very good value and they sound better than more expensive speakers, I'm considering them. I want to know if they sound better than Q Acoustics' Concept 20 passives? Can anyone tell me what is the rate for the Aktimate Mini+? Are they within my budget? And where can I get them? They would have to ship to Kolkata.

Can someone help me make up my mind, after reading that Aktimate Minis are very good value and they sound better than more expensive speakers, I'm considering them. I want to know if they sound better than Q Acoustics' Concept 20 passives? Can anyone tell me what is the rate for the Aktimate Mini+? Are they within my budget? And where can I get them? They would have to ship to Kolkata.

I've narrowed down to either Audioengine A5+ or Aktimate Mini+. Which to go for? Please help and is Aktimate within budget?

Dude, go and audition them first. I am actually looking for this kind of setup. I did a lot of research in this forum and everybody is telling to audition first. As far as i know, there are lot of advantages for Audioengine A5+.
* U can add a sub later as they have one rca output
* U can buy Audioengine D1 dac when u have some money later and improve your music anytime.
Check out other speakers like Swan mk100miii and m50w. Most of the guys in this forum liked swan mk100miii than audioengine A5+ as far as music quality is concerned. It all depends on personal preferance. U have to audition them first and go by what your ear says. There are also other active speakers like Emotiva Airmotiv 5, Paradigm A2.
Dude, let me tell you something. I read a lot in this forum and came to know that 35k is not enough for good stereo setup. So i increased my budget to 60k and planning to buy an avr+bookshelf speakers alone first.
I can add sub,center and surround later. I am telling u because Audioengine D1 costs 15k and Audioengine S2 sub costs around 22k. So total budget comes to around 65k. If u cannot stretch the budget, u can go for Active speakers for now. But if u can wait for some time and increase the budget, you can have an awesome setup.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back