Best powered speakers under 35k?

Haha... That is a thread i started long back. Thanks Spirovious, for finding it! :)

Though it is a little irrelevant now, firstly i ended changing my order to Aktimate maxi since i got it at a decent price then and i am using them still on my desk.

Secondly, the prices have really shot up since then or so i have heard! Rise of the $!!

Having said all that, if you can get the mini+ at a good price, go for it.
I preferred the Aktimate sound over the Audioengine sound when i compared it once/twice.

Though ideally you should hear them both as it is a very personal thing.
And i strongly recommend an audition if possible.

Aktimate is a collaboration between Epos and Creek audio, both are very respected Hifi companies and generally have done a good job with the Aktimate speakers.

I read that page before. If it's that much, I can afford it. I'm getting no reply from Reference Point's email, who seem to be the current dealer for Aktimates.

WarLord, The reviews do say that Swan MKIII are a touch more refined than AEs and I'm likely to enjoy the warmer, more musical sound.

I tried searching, this forum and other places, but I did not find where I can audition actives like these in Kolkata. If anyone knows, please post.

If anyone has tested these, how do the Swans M200MkIIIs compare to the Aktimates? Which would be a better bang for buck?

Also, one other link on the forum listed the Aktimate Mini's price as 54k (:eek:) as opposed to the 28k on the link you posted. That's why I asked.

And the Aktimates seem to have a device which you can attach to the iPod dock to make it a Bluetooth dock that works with Android phones, it seems.

Last edited:
I remember one fm who had audioengine 5 upgraded to the aktimate, don't remember which version, my brother had listened to both side by side as the fm had put up the ae5 for sale and his clear verdict was the aktimate was better...so u better do audition before taking the final step

I read that page before. If it's that much, I can afford it. I'm getting no reply from Reference Point's email, who seem to be the current dealer for Aktimates.

WarLord, The reviews do say that Swan MKIII are a touch more refined than AEs and I'm likely to enjoy the warmer, more musical sound.

I tried searching, this forum and other places, but I did not find where I can audition actives like these in Kolkata. If anyone knows, please post.

If anyone has tested these, how do the Swans M200MkIIIs compare to the Aktimates? Which would be a better bang for buck?

Also, one other link on the forum listed the Aktimate Mini's price as 54k (:eek:) as opposed to the 28k on the link you posted. That's why I asked.

And the Aktimates seem to have a device which you can attach to the iPod dock to make it a Bluetooth dock that works with Android phones, it seems.

I did a lot of online research and was keen on getting Swan M200MKIII for the past few months(it is another thing now that I took the path of 'Separates') Almost all reviews stated that the M200MKIII is a clear winner and it blows the AE5s out of the water. HiFinage is the Indian online dealer/distributor of Swans. As far as I have read, Swans hold a very high regard in the Audiophile world and I would have surely gone for Swans if HiFinage also did Bookshelves of Swan

Hello. I want to buy quickly, but I want clear opinions on these issues:
1) According to one person, the Audioengine A5s sounded very forward, as if in a party all the time and it was tiring. What do you opine?
2) I don't want to buy Swans because a couple places mentioned in the m200 models, people have had problems with the left speaker going out after a couple weeks. (I read in an International forum) So I'm wary of it.
3) While there are opinions on actives vs other actives, how will the Audioengines and the Swans compare with a passive setup like Wharfedale 121 or Wharfedale 10.1 with a entry-level receiver? Has anyone listened to both and found one or the other to be better?
I looked at studio monitors but because of unsurety over their ruler-flat response and whether I will like or not, I'm not considering them. The sound signature I want is, very clear, sweet but as natural as can be, not fatiguing and somewhat laid back, not bright. Thanks.

Hi Oeb

the AE5 are good and sound better ...in long run terms don't know if they will really last and with changes in the audio world happening so quickly...you may end up buying / updating yourself. Most of us were stereo system owners...today we own AV systems and even both (provided we have the space)

As some have suggested already why restrict yourself to one brand or active speakers? There are a lot of brands available in the market...fortunately there are reviews and videos posted by users across the world to help assist in your decision.

In terms of separates, HFM has some good combo deals....you may want to check it out..

Okay. I've gotten a headache deciding, so I've just gone ahead and ordered the Swan m200 makIII from Amazon.in from the hifinage seller. I've a question, what speaker cables will I need to connect the speakers together and to my computer? I'm asking so I can buy them beforehand. Thanks.

Amazon shows 32k but hifinage shows 27k . I hope u have seen it.

I did a checkout on hifinage some time before and their payment portal was broken, but if I recall right, it was about the same. During checkout, a lot of tax is added + huge big 2k charge for shipping. Did you see that price after checkout? Anyway, Amazon price is total 33k + 2 rupees. And I think I'd rather buy from Amazon for their protection guarantees. Can you confirm about the price since you are saying this. Thanks.

I've a brand new M-Audio BX 8a powered monitor speakers. It is very useful for stereo listening. Anyone who is interested in exchange with a integrated amp/ power amp, i'll consider for sale also.

Offtopic....

During checkout, a lot of tax is added + huge big 2k charge for shipping. Did you see that price after checkout?

Abhi... please take a look at this. An online shopping site that does not show people the prices they actually pay is not good. Expecting better from you! :)

Offtopic....

Abhi... please take a look at this. An online shopping site that does not show people the prices they actually pay is not good. Expecting better from you! :)

Dear Thad,

Our pricing policy is very transparent as we show our customers that how much we are charging for each service they are paying for, whether it is VAT, shipping charges and product prices. We don't like to hide anything from them. In the last step before checkout, he will see the gross amount which he is going to pay before clicking on checkout button.

It is not like what you are thinking that customer sees INR5k and when he completed the checkout and paid the amount so he see that he has been charged 6k or 5.5k.

I hope it clears yours and FM's confusion. :)

yes i did ,:mad: duaah!!! A hell of taxes and Shipping, Definitely Amazon service is way better + peace of mind. Enjoy ur music..

Dear Kant,

When you have not purchased anything from us so how can you say that Amazon's service is way better?

To let you know further, whether you buy from our store or from amazon, you will get the services from us only. To tell you more, if you buy from Amazon so no swan speakers covers with hifinage gratification assurance because of Amazon's return policy which is a customer can return the product only if the product is in unopened condition or the product is damaged.

Hope it clears all your doubts as well. :)

My Swan M200 MkIII speakers arrived today. The thermocol supporting the speakers at the bottom had split in the middle, but the speakers seem to be in good condition, so that is of no consequence. There is just a tiny place on one of the edges of the hardwood side panel where the finish colour is off, but I can live with that. I did NOT get the gloves. (Not sure why I didn't receive them as they are mentioned so often in relation to Swan speakers.) I'm pretty impressed with the look and the size of the speakers. The cables were easy to install. The speaker to speaker cable are supposed to be fitted with the cleft part facing the top, as is warned in the online manual I looked at. The RCA to 3.5mm cable makes it easy to fit directly to a computer. One thing of note is, since these speakers are made overseas, the power adapter has flat "chaptu" pins, so I had to buy a multi socket adapter to fit it to my UPS.

I made sure to set the bass and treble at 12 o clock as recommended by a user on a review site, but at first play, it sounded ordinary and lacking in any depth. I fiddled with Linux's sound control and after raising the volume, it sounded better. I noticed some songs sounded okay, I'm not sure how to judge as this is the first hi-fi speakers I've listened to. The sound opened up after a few songs. When there's silence I do not hear any noise through the speakers, so that's good. I noticed that although most songs sound okay, in one recording, the background noise seemed more noticeable than on my old satellites, I put it down to bad recording and the song being in MP3 format. The other flacs sounded nice. The sound coming out of these speakers is very warm, exceptionally warm and full to me. I did not find the sound analytical (I think these speakers are technically supposed to be neutral?) and Jagjit Singh's ghazals seemed very musical, very rich, especially the vocals compared to the satellites I've been listening to all these years. The bass is very tight and it is punchy, it DOES slam! I don't think I need a sub, at least for my purpsoses. Bach's BWV 78 II, Rifkin's record seemed very pleasing, at louder volume it was nicer. I think though I thought the music to be a little TOO warm. Mostly all songs sounded a bit too warm to me. Maybe it was the influence of the hot weather. I thought - the speakers are good, their only fault is they aren't an AC I can use to put my ceiling fan to rest. But then I looked for songs that are supposed to be a little cold sounding, and played Harnoncourt's Wir Eilen and in the duet, the boy soprano and the alto both sounded wonderfully refreshing and cold. And I thought, so the speaker can do that too. (Nevermind the 'cold' thing, it's just a word I use because some type of sound feels cold to me.) Anyway, I'm happy with the purchase so far.

Dear Oeb,

Let the speakers open up and it may take at least 50 Hrs or more. I hope that you have not turned on any equilizer in any software or in driver. Do not play 128 or 256 bit rate MP3s on these speakers, try to play 320kbps CBR and flac. These speakers are like hi-fi speakers which users of this forum tends to buy as an 2 channel AMP and passive speakers. Any swan speaker don't sound like monitor speakers like KRK, M-Audio or so. Swan speakers are musical speakers. MKIII's bass is very very punchy with good authority, MKII's bass is less than the bass of MKIII's.

I hope you have a good 2 channel sound card like STX or an external DAC?

Dear Oeb,

Let the speakers open up and it may take at least 50 Hrs or more. I hope that you have not turned on any equilizer in any software or in driver. Do not play 128 or 256 bit rate MP3s on these speakers, try to play 320kbps CBR and flac. These speakers are like hi-fi speakers which users of this forum tends to buy as an 2 channel AMP and passive speakers. Any swan speaker don't sound like monitor speakers like KRK, M-Audio or so. Swan speakers are musical speakers. MKIII's bass is very very punchy with good authority, MKII's bass is less than the bass of MKIII's.

I hope you have a good 2 channel sound card like STX or an external DAC?

I've made sure not to use any software DSP or equalizer. About the external DAC, I'm using the onboard sound at the moment, it seems satisfactory enough, but I will be buying a nice DAC after some days (need to wait for the money). The speakers are sounding very good already, think they will sound even better after the burn-in.

I've made sure not to use any software DSP or equalizer. About the external DAC, I'm using the onboard sound at the moment, it seems satisfactory enough, but I will be buying a nice DAC after some days (need to wait for the money). The speakers are sounding very good already, think they will sound even better after the burn-in.

Dear Oeb,

Yes speakers will definitely improve after after burn-in and will more further if you buy DAC, you need to buy external DAC and I strongly recommend DACPort LX if you can take usb outs of your computer or laptop and is much cheaper than all the DAC's available in the market and SQ is equal to the expensive DACs.

I hope you have placed the speakers apart of each other at around 4-6 feet space in between them and around 3 feet far away from the rear wall.

I'm using the onboard sound at the moment, it seems satisfactory enough, but I will be buying a nice DAC after some days...

I'm glad you are giving it a chance. Onboard sound is much better than it used to be. By getting used to how it performs, you will know whether an external DAC is actually worthwhile, and get a better measure of how much it has improved the sound. Too many people "upgrade" blind --- including me, I suppose, as, when I build/buy a PC, I usually have a "better" interface available already and can't really be bothered to check out the onboard.

I'm glad you are giving it a chance. Onboard sound is much better than it used to be. By getting used to how it performs, you will know whether an external DAC is actually worthwhile, and get a better measure of how much it has improved the sound. Too many people "upgrade" blind --- including me, I suppose, as, when I build/buy a PC, I usually have a "better" interface available already and can't really be bothered to check out the onboard.

Hi Thad,

I have Asus Maximus Formula motherboard and Asus have not integrated sound chip on this motherboard, instead they provide an add-on sound card with the motherboard. When I bought Asus Xonar DX so the difference in sound quality between Asus addon sound card and Xonar DX was day and night and that time I was using PC speakers AL MX5021 (which was the best 2.1 computer speakers available under 10k that time).

Hi, I have signed up for some credible advice on speakers which is simply unavaible in the mainstream in this country. Rather than start a new thread, I thought it better to add to this.

I have a similar requirement to the OP, but I will add a few points.

1) I want a 2.0 powered system, (2.1 will also do) no amps just plug & play

2) They must sound LOADS better than Bose 'Signature' Sound
I have owned Bose Companion 5 for years, back when they cost ?24K. Moving from TV speakers they sounded great, but I grew increasingsingly dissatisfied with them over time. Now when I walk into the Bose store at Connaught Place, I am appalled at how they extort people for basically average sounding speakers, that look great btw, are durable and super convenient. Neither is the bass great(and I dont prefer thumps tbh) nor are the mid highs of any note. The vocals especially sound so disappointing...

3) My primary requirement is Music, then some gaming, TV & Movies.
I know for sure that a reasonably priced stereo system sounds better & clearer for music(or anything really) than a surround system that may even be more expensive.
I bought about 6 years ago Harman Kardon HKTS 60 & AVR 255 for a combined ?85K (damn). Now those were powerful, room rocking, house moving even, but clear they weren't, especially the clarity that I have come to appreciate. Bass heads would say I am an idiot. Also movie buffs who particularly like the theatre like experience of surround sound would smirk. The thing though is, people certainly all I know listen to more music than movies. I especially crave beautiful music to make me smile more than surround sound effects to thrill, otherwise only felt in a theatre. And for music surround simply doesnt cut it, reason fatigue - I hated those HKs towards the end, at low mid volume, which was tolerable for hours without headache, their average music quality was exposed. I had to crank them upto 70% volume at least for a satisfying experience, which was of course not sustainable.

4) I would be really happy if someone could suggest something comparable to Audioengine, not as good, but in the same league maybe.
Last year I was lucky enough for my sister to bring Audioengine A5+ from the US, but the luck qucikly ran out. I listened to them for barely 2 days before they inexplicably went dead, cannot power them on, no idea how to get them repaired in India. They have many months warranty still but noones going to US anytime soon. The sound they produced however was utter bliss. I doubt if I will ever get to hear that on a consistent basis ever again. Listening to Pink Floyd at high volumes for 2 days, and suddenly to find they dont work anymore - shattering.

So can anyone suggest me something considering the above points. I will be grateful. Price range ?20K to ?40K but only if its really worth.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back