DAC Dilemma :)

music4mhell

Hello Guys,

Could you please help me out choosing a DAC for my Genelecs.

I have Budget around 50K.

Below are some options which i find useful:

• Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus
  • Audiolab Q-DAC
  • Emotiva Stealth DAC
  • Arcam irDAC

Please suggest me some more, if i missed :D

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello Guys,

• Audiolab Q-DAC
  • Emotiva Stealth DAC
  • Arcam irDAC

Thanks a lot in advance.

Schiit Gungnir in case you can manage without volume control.

I'd suggest looking out for some pre-owned options. Genelecs are pretty revealing speakers and would benefit from a good source. Do check whether an unbalanced DAC is ok or if you specifically need a balanced signal. Make sure you try before buying - synergy is pretty important as you wont have the option of changing amps etc to ensure the sound signature suits your preferences.

Also, do you need a volume control in the DAC? That may restrict the options available.

I'd suggest looking out for some pre-owned options. Genelecs are pretty revealing speakers and would benefit from a good source. Do check whether an unbalanced DAC is ok or if you specifically need a balanced signal. Make sure you try before buying - synergy is pretty important as you wont have the option of changing amps etc to ensure the sound signature suits your preferences.

Also, do you need a volume control in the DAC? That may restrict the options available.

I need unbalanced, cause F one SUB take only Unbalanced input, and i don't need volume control, Genelec has Volume control Plus my TV or chromecast audio has volume control too. So there is no need of a volume control in a DAC.

As you know, it's not so easy go get demos for every product, you can suggest me some names, i will search and do some research :)

Choose R-2R DAC which are widely appreciated for natural or realistic timbre. Here are some recommendation with in budget of $1000.-

1) Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII

2) Metrum Musette

3) Audio-gd DAC19 (10th Anniversary Edition)

4) MHDT Labs Havana

5) LiTe DAC 83

6) Promitheus Audio DAC

Choose R-2R DAC which are widely appreciated for natural or realistic timbre. Here are some recommendation with in budget of $1000.-

1) Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII

2) Metrum Musette

3) Audio-gd DAC19 (10th Anniversary Edition)

4) MHDT Labs Havana

5) LiTe DAC 83

6) Promitheus Audio DAC

Does all these companies have distributors in India ?
And any comment on Arcam irDAC ? I am very inclined to buy this one :)

Hello Guys,

• Audiolab Q-DAC
  • Emotiva Stealth DAC
  • Arcam irDAC

Thanks a lot in advance.

Stay away from CA, way too bland. I have not heard Audiolab, Emotiva is good value for money but lacks excitement, Arcam is the most musical and also the best in this list.

I would also highly recommend checking out Schiit DACs, I have a couple of them and love them to bits.

However, a word of caution is to hear them before deciding especially with the Genelec speakers. I have owned the Genelec in the past, and loved them, but eventually moved away because I wanted something with more excitement i.e. what we like to call PRAT. Genelecs are excellent, extremely detailed, but can also be dry/analytical and that is one reason why they may not match with your choice of DAC.

How to buy Schiit products in India ? I don't see any dealer for Schiit in India :(

The entire Schiit model is dealer less and no middlemen. One reason why they keep their prices down without compromising on quality. Their service is excellent and I have had no issues ordering online.

Actually Arcam irDAC will be best buy among the original list you mentioned. I restrained myself commenting on Arcam because it might be sound biased or unfair as currently my irDAC is on sale right at this moment.

Though Arcam is a nice DS (delta sigma) implementation, whereas I was encouraging you on R-2R DAC.

Last edited:
Stay away from CA, way too bland. I have not heard Audiolab, Emotiva is good value for money but lacks excitement, Arcam is the most musical and also the best in this list.

I would also highly recommend checking out Schiit DACs, I have a couple of them and love them to bits.

However, a word of caution is to hear them before deciding especially with the Genelec speakers. I have owned the Genelec in the past, and loved them, but eventually moved away because I wanted something with more excitement i.e. what we like to call PRAT. Genelecs are excellent, extremely detailed, but can also be dry/analytical and that is one reason why they may not match with your choice of DAC.

The entire Schiit model is dealer less and no middlemen. One reason why they keep their prices down without compromising on quality. Their service is excellent and I have had no issues ordering online.

Let me be straight to point, if i pair Arcam irDAC with Genelecs, will it be a bad IDEA ? :(

Let me be straight to point, if i pair Arcam irDAC with Genelecs, will it be a bad IDEA ? :(

I should think not, the Arcam is very musical, and I am not sure if it is the right term, but "sweet". Totally non-fatiguing and extremely immersive even for long extended sessions.

However, I have not heard the Genelecs with Arcam or Schiit. The only problem I can think of with the Genelec speakers is they amplify pretty much of what is. Bad recordings, low bit rate MP3s, etc. show up with all of their faults. This might also reflect on a bad pairing with a good DAC.

Considering so much of music is synergy, I would not be able to tell you one way or another with 100% certainty. Auditioning is the way to go.

I should think not, the Arcam is very musical, and I am not sure if it is the right term, but "sweet". Totally non-fatiguing and extremely immersive even for long extended sessions.

However, I have not heard the Genelecs with Arcam or Schiit. The only problem I can think of with the Genelec speakers is they amplify pretty much of what is. Bad recordings, low bit rate MP3s, etc. show up with all of their faults. This might also reflect on a bad pairing with a good DAC.

Considering so much of music is synergy, I would not be able to tell you one way or another with 100% certainty. Auditioning is the way to go.

Luckily i can audition in B'lore, who knows CA Dacmagic Plus sound more musical than other with Genelecs :)

Schiit is very good, but i don't wanna spend $100 Shipping + 28% custom extra on a product.

Thanks for your inputs. I will audition soon.

Schiit is very good, but i don't wanna spend $100 Shipping + 28% custom extra on a product.

Actually both of my Schiit DACs cost around $25-$45 for shipping and no customs. Extreme value for money other than the fact that the first purchase was a blind purchase as they are not easy to audition unless you know folks with them.

I have a Schiit Modi-2-Uber. Had a friend carry it for me from US.
So "free shipping and no customs" :)

Very small unit; can be carried in a ladies purse or in laptop bag.
Good performance for the price point ($149 + $10 local shipping).
It was a blind buy for me, no regrets. It has improved the sound in my house.

If anyone wants to audition, please PM me.

Cheers,
Raghu

I have a Schiit Modi-2-Uber. Had a friend carry it for me from US.
So "free shipping and no customs" :)

Very small unit; can be carried in a ladies purse or in laptop bag.
Good performance for the price point ($149 + $10 local shipping).
It was a blind buy for me, no regrets. It has improved the sound in my house.

If anyone wants to audition, please PM me.

Cheers,
Raghu

I just got the quote for Emotiva XDA 2 .. it will cost me 26K, i am thinking of buying that, i feel it's best value for buck :)

Emotiva DAC may be not ideal synergy wise compared to arcam, but then thats my humble opinion.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back