DAC under $1000

Kushanava

Hi All,
I am currently in Australia , and was hoping to purchase a dac under $1000(Max)...I am just going to use this is a stop gap so , I am looking for VFM option.Ideally would like to get something in the $600 range but would stretch to $1000 only if there is a significantly better deal.I was looking at the following options.I am not a big fan of dry , analytical sound though I would like the dac to sound as transparent and neutral as possible within the price range.

Under $600
1.IFI DSD or even idac
2.Wavelength Proton

I am currently in Australia and there is an offer on the Burson Conductor SL 9018 .However I don't have much information on the dac.Please share your experience on this.How does it compare to a PS audio Link iii or a rega dac.
What other options should I look at?

As you are in australia, Burson is probably the best bang for the buck option since its built right there. Personally I've never heard it so don't have an opinion on how it sounds.

You can get the Audio GD NFB-1 for $650. While shipping is extra, it does enjoy a good reputation in Oz. I've used their slightly lower end DAC with preamp and volume control and really have a lot of respect for this company's products. Do check out their reviews online.

But the big thing to a lot of people is reputation. And I guess a Burson would handily beat Audio GD in that department. Ironically, both company have somewhat similar design ethos. They put a lot of emphasis on the power supply.

As you are in australia, Burson is probably the best bang for the buck option since its built right there. Personally I've never heard it so don't have an opinion on how it sounds.

I would second that..for the money it is bang for the buck but slightly above 1kUSD

Thank you very much for your responses.
I have the option of getting the Rega or the Burson , both similarly priced.
Do you think Burson is a better bet than the Rega?

Also the fact that IDSD Micro is such a Buzz around , makes me think that whether it would be a good investment on a $1000 dac at this moment, as the digital world is so frequently changing. Has AMR set the benchmark for the other Pros to follow?
In that sense I am thinking of investing less now and wait for an upgrade once I have a better Front end (I am due for a speaker upgrade next year..may be Rethms)

The other option I am looking for is ... I would be returning via Singapore and have 7 hrs between flight changes.If possible ,I may even get something from Singapore if I can contact the dealers through mails and make a choice in advance.

Kushanava, the iDSD Micro is serious value at it's price. I played around with one for a couple of days this week (not long enough for a serious listen). I think it betters the Rega DAC in my system on most aspects. (I have the v1 Rega DAC).

@Hydra ..:cheers:

Hmm , this recommendation really kills the search for Burson and Rega.
I did check with Sound by Vision on the same ---Here is their reply--
"Mr Saha, sorry we are out and there are iterations in the company. Micro DSD won't be here soon"
Any idea of the prices in India for Micro iDSD ?

Kushanava, they haven't yet fixed a price (In India), I think. They should have stock of the Micro iDSD for sale any day now. I'll check with the D & D and update.

You can also look at TEAC UD 501 DSD capable Great sounding DAC amazing fidelity and very much in your budget.

Cheers
Ravi

the mertrum and AUdio GD
would be my pics personally...

well i like the Benchwark 2 too - though some find it too straight forward

After audition of 2expensive dac equal to usd 1500,1100i along with oppo 105,idecided to buy the oppo 105.all the audition done in same room with same source.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back