Downgrading setup. Suggestions for a soundbar required!

naviworks

I am planning to downgrade from 5.1 setup to a soundbar. Main reason is the hassle of setting it up everytime and the clutter. (Iam in a transferable job).

Going in for a minimalistic setup with just tv and soundbar. Usage will be 80% movies and 20% music.

Currently have Yamaha Yas-209 and polk command bar in mind, mainly due to inbuilt Alexa. Haven't heard any of them in-person though. Which among two will be better?

Also can completely go to a different brand or sacrifice Alexa if a better or value for money proposition exist at this price range.... Any suggestions/advice /product recommendations welcome. TIA

Samsung Q60T with surround speakers.

Thank you for the suggestion. But is there any standout feature of this soundbar?

If it is surrounded speakers, then no. Remember I told you clutter free. The surrounding speakers needs to be powered and the 'wireless' module also needs to be given speaker connection I beleive. Besides there is no wifi too. Am I missing anything?Any other specific reason for this suggestion?

An active pair of stereo speakers would be a better choice than a soundbar plus they double as great music speakers. A simple optical out from TV and you done.
Even the Sonos ecosystem is convenient, clutter free and can be upgraded to 5.1. This should work for you well.
I ve yet to hear a soundbar that can do proper justice to multiple channels. And unless one is looking around at the level of a sennheiser ambeo they all are pretty average.

Thank you for the suggestion. But is there any standout feature of this soundbar?

If it is surrounded speakers, then no. Remember I told you clutter free. The surrounding speakers needs to be powered and the 'wireless' module also needs to be given speaker connection I beleive. Besides there is no wifi too. Am I missing anything?Any other specific reason for this suggestion?

You can get the bar itself if you don't want the surround speakers. Simple. Samsung bars are available here readily and aren't that overpriced. Plus, they are doing serious research in developing these products and they measure well too. Sony bars tend to be too dark in their sound profile, while LG is just too excited and uneven. Check Rtings for reviews.

I am planning to downgrade from 5.1 setup to a soundbar. Main reason is the hassle of setting it up everytime and the clutter. (Iam in a transferable job).

Going in for a minimalistic setup with just tv and soundbar. Usage will be 80% movies and 20% music.

Currently have Yamaha Yas-209 and polk command bar in mind, mainly due to inbuilt Alexa. Haven't heard any of them in-person though. Which among two will be better?

Also can completely go to a different brand or sacrifice Alexa if a better or value for money proposition exist at this price range.... Any suggestions/advice /product recommendations welcome. TIA

Have you thought abt using AVR and in 2.0 mode. U can remove the center and speakers if connecting them are hassle.. Either BS (or) FS would do.

Since you say you are 80% into movies, I assume you are looking for one with subwoofer, then also look at JBL bar 3.1. There is even a review in our forum https://www.hifivision.com/threads/jbl-bar-3-1-soundbar-review.74970/
Can also look at JBL bar 5.1 but the wireless surrounds are of low volume. I personally didn't like them for their surrounds.

Edit:
If you can spend a bit you can look at Bose soundbar 500 as well.

Polk Magnifi mini is also a good one. But I haven't heard this personally.

Can you also give some idea about your current 5.1 setup as well?

Last edited:
I use this https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07H1B3PY9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with my C9 and this pretty good for movies with the subwoofer packing a punch even though I have kept the woofer on the TV stand beside the TV. Decent enough even for music as well. It has 1 HDMI input which is ARC enabled so I just a single HDMI from the port 2 of TV which is ARC enabled and off you go. The soundbar also comes with a remote but I didn't need to use it as the HDMI ARC takes care of utilization with FireTV stick remote as well as C9 remote. It also has the sleep function, so if the TV is switched off and in standby mode the soundbar also goes to sleep and when the TV is on via the ARC the soundbar is woken up :)

An active pair of stereo speakers would be a better choice than a soundbar plus they double as great music speakers. A simple optical out from TV and you done.
Even the Sonos ecosystem is convenient, clutter free and can be upgraded to 5.1. This should work for you well.
I ve yet to hear a soundbar that can do proper justice to multiple channels. And unless one is looking around at the level of a sennheiser ambeo they all are pretty average.

First of all I know a soundbar cannot match a proper 5.1. That's why I have mentioned 'downgrading'. I am tuning myself to accept that fact.

I already have a pair of Resolv A6 studio monitors connected to my desktop for music. So again going for active speakers route for tv won't be a great idea imo. Besides, have to again do cable management for both the speakers. Another doubt just popped up now. If we go this route, we have to rely on TVs internal processor for audio management right? Even if I go for a best active speaker, will tv able to feed them good sound? Will that be a handicap? Can anyone throw some light?

Yes Sonos will be ideal but way too expensive. Any offers for Sonos available?

You can get the bar itself if you don't want the surround speakers. Simple. Samsung bars are available here readily and aren't that overpriced. Plus, they are doing serious research in developing these products and they measure well too. Sony bars tend to be too dark in their sound profile, while LG is just too excited and uneven. Check Rtings for reviews.

Not many people will recommend the so called 'mass market' brand like samsung for soundbars atleast in audiophile community. But you seems to swear on samsung. There must be a good reason. I will definitely do some research on samsung soundbars. Thanks for the input.

Not many people will recommend the so called 'mass market' brand like samsung for soundbars atleast in audiophile community. But you seems to swear on samsung. There must be a good reason. I will definitely do some research on samsung soundbars. Thanks for the input.

Samsung owns Harman now btw. Read up about their audio lab and the research they are doing.

Have you thought abt using AVR and in 2.0 mode. U can remove the center and speakers if connecting them are hassle.. Either BS (or) FS would do.

Hi Mr.Elango epdi irukinga? Have read many of your posts in this forum. Keep it up.

Can do 2.0 with AVR.I presently have Yamaha RXV667 But will that be underutilization of AVR if we just connect 2 speakers to them?

Let's see if my existing setup doesn't sell, may consider this route... Any takers for used yamaha rxv667? Will post in sale thread soon

Hi Mr.Elango epdi irukinga? Have read many of your posts in this forum. Keep it up.

@naviworks , Nalla irukkuen. Hope you too. Thanks for the kind words.

Can do 2.0 with AVR.I presently have Yamaha RXV667 But will that be underutilization of AVR if we just connect 2 speakers to them?

Let's see if my existing setup doesn't sell, may consider this route... Any takers for used yamaha rxv667? Will post in sale thread soon

Ok. Got it. AVR with 2.0 seems better IMO.. With a midrange AVR like 667 and only 2 channels driven, it should have enough juice.. If you choose FS, it should be good for both movies & music as well.. Just my thoughts..

if your speaker has biwiring , then may be you can bi amp your speakers

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back