FOSI AUDIO V3 REVIEW

chark

Review of the FOSI V-3

First let me introduce myself, my name is Cliff Harker and I’ve been into Audio since 1971. During my audio journey I have used audio equipment from numerous manufacturers. Electronics from Dynaco, Radford, Audio Research, Coda, BAT, Nuprime and speakers from Magnepan, Mirage, Alon, Klipsch and Eminent Technology just to name a few. One thing I have discovered, is that to me, musicality is of the upmost importance for any equipment.

Now let’s get on to the test and review of the FOSI audio V3. First, the amp came well packed and arrived safely.

I was surprised at the heft and weight of the amp and power supply. They exuded quality and were well built. I opted for the forty-eight-volt power supply because all reports I had read stated that this power supply would give me more power and control.

The front of the unit is populated with the volume control on/off switch and a small blue power light.
DSC02234.JPG

While the back of the unit sports a Line In and two either spade or banana plug speaker connectors and a power connector port. If you look closely, you will see a pre-out for use with a powered sub-woofer.

DSC02217.JPGI wanted to test the Amp with items that I thought would be equal in price and quality to the amp. For input sources I used an Andover Songbird streamer using both Bluetooth and Wifi (which I strongly preferred) and a low cost Sony DVD player, model DVP510H. RCA cabling was proaudiola cabling (low cost, high quality) and input from songbird was done using generic 3.5 to RCA cable. Speaker cables were amazon ordered CESS-106-6f Bi-Wire Banana Plug Speaker Cable. Only place I failed cost wise was the speakers which are a pair of Mirage M3si I keep as back up to my Maggie 3.6r.

(I have no idea why this is appearing in bold font!)

On to how the amp sounded to put it simply, amazing! First of all, this little amp has pace and is musical, this was shown on several of the cuts off of Keith Jarrett’s CD “THE CURE”. Piano was bouncy and tuneful, cymbal brush strokes were not splashy, bass was meaty, and imaging was good. Next came Patricia Barber’s CD “Café Blue”, which to me, is a standard for speaker testing. On this CD this little wonder amp showed its mettle with good imaging and sound stage, great pace once again, and a relaxed but detailed sound.” “Ode to Bille Joe” the snapping fingers sounded real, you could hear hall ambience, and it was a pleasure to listen to.

Feed this amp well recorded material and you will be rewarded with great sound, feed it not so well recorded sound and you will get what you pay for. Overall, I would say the sound is relaxed but detailed, with good sound-staging and imaging.

In conclusion, I can recommend this amp to someone starting out who wants a high-quality amp to enjoy what good sound is like, some one who might need its power for a desktop system, and just to anyone, who wants a good sounding, low cost amp that is fun and enjoyable to listen to!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back