Hi all from a newbie!

Ravi_K

Hi All….just joined HiFiVISION!

Have recently retired and am in the process of sprucing up my apartment and updating certain equipment to welcome my nonagenarian Dad, who has at last agreed to come and stay with us.

Being a complete newbie on hi-fi systems and what components constitute one, I may need a lot of help and advice in the near future on how to go about selecting new hi-fi equipment to replace certain old equipment: my Dad is an avid listener of music and a keen cricket fan so I am in the market for a vinyl turntable. I’m planning on hooking it up with my Sony DAV-LF1H Home-Theatre-in-a-box (circa 2007), which has been in storage (in a packed condition) since 2020. I’m keeping my fingers crossed hoping that the system will work: both mechanically as well as technically (I believe it has to have a phono pre-amp)

Will scour the forum on related topics and may reach out once I have read enough on the subject.

Till then, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for sharing your knowledge out here!

Have recently retired and am in the process of sprucing up my apartment and updating certain equipment to welcome my nonagenarian Dad, who has at last agreed to come and stay with us.

Being a complete newbie on hi-fi systems and what components constitute one, I may need a lot of help and advice in the near future on how to go about selecting new hi-fi equipment to replace certain old equipment: my Dad is an avid listener of music and a keen cricket fan so I am in the market for a vinyl turntable. I’m planning on hooking it up with my Sony DAV-LF1H Home-Theatre-in-a-box (circa 2007), which has been in storage (in a packed condition) since 2020. I’m keeping my fingers crossed hoping that the system will work: both mechanically as well as technically (I believe it has to have a phono pre-amp)

Will scour the forum on related topics and may reach out once I have read enough on the subject.

Till then, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for sharing your knowledge out here!

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find your experience here very enriching and enjoyable.

Make sure to visit the countless posts which is based on direct experience, technical knowledge and honest feedback.

If the post / response to you helps in any way, use the 'Like' button which is located at the right hand bottom of the post. This helps to build up positive reputation for the FM (Fellow Member).

Hope you have a great journey here!

All the best!

Thank you for the warm welcome! Your advice is indeed very helpful; will follow the same!
Let me also add that as I spend more time out here, my knowledge on the subject matter is increasing exponentially and I am already loving this community!!

Hi Ravi ji,

Welcome to the forum. If you can get a chance to listen to a vinyl rig, it can help you in deciding how to go about it.
Pls don't hurry and try to research and hear as much as you can before pulling the trigger on your components so as to avoid any buyer's remorse. Deciding the budget is the best way to start the search so one does not get swayed away. Advice from the expert fellow vinyl members will help a lot.

If you are open to preowned gear, then sometimes well maintained components are listed in the forum's classifieds section.
It's very nice of you to take so much interest in your father's hobbies.
All the very best to you in this interesting journey.

Last edited:
Hi Ravi ji,

Welcome to the forum. If you can get a chance to listen to a vinyl rig, it can help you in deciding how to go about it.
Pls don't hurry and try to research and hear as much as you can before pulling the trigger on your components so as to avoid any buyer's remorse. Deciding the budget is the best way to start the search so one does not get swayed away. Advice from the expert fellow vinyl members will help a lot.

If you are open to preowned gear, then sometimes well maintained components are listed in the forum's classifieds section.
It's very nice of you to take so much interest in your father's hobbies.
All the very best to you in this interesting journey.
Thank you for your warm welcome! Sorry for the late response; was travelling and have just got back home.
Your advice is well taken and am keeping an eye open for preowned gear in the forum’s classified section.
This is how we were raised and hopefully our children too will learn from this. At my father’s age, one just needs the comfort of “belonging”!

Thank you for your warm welcome! Sorry for the late response; was travelling and have just got back home.
Your advice is well taken and am keeping an eye open for preowned gear in the forum’s classified section.
This is how we were raised and hopefully our children too will learn from this. At my father’s age, one just needs the comfort of “belonging”!
Most welcome Ravi ji. No issues at all. Totally agree with your ideology.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you on board.

Welcome and a very noble thought ! I assume you already have the vinyls.

Since you are using a HTIB you will need a Turntable ( with cartridge) and a Phonostage as I see your HTIB has an ability to take a Analogue input.

What is your budget in mind ? Important to fix this since as many of us have found you can spend anywhere from 20K to 20L and even more for a analogue setup !

The above is entry level and all in one if your budget is around 20K...

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you on board.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Welcome and a very noble thought ! I assume you already have the vinyls.

Since you are using a HTIB you will need a Turntable ( with cartridge) and a Phonostage as I see your HTIB has an ability to take a Analogue input.

What is your budget in mind ? Important to fix this since as many of us have found you can spend anywhere from 20K to 20L and even more for a analogue setup !

The above is entry level and all in one if your budget is around 20K...
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yes, my Dad does have quite a few vinyls that I have been able to salvage…………even managed to get certain of his favourites cleaned professionally. Currently the set up consists of a Bush Baron MPS 327 hooked up to Sonodyne floor standing speakers via a Hitachi Deck / Cassette Player and separate Amplifier.

My Dad is quite comfortable with this set up but often needs help with loading/unloading the cartridge/stylus and thus the need for an automatic loading/unloading mechanism.

Thank you for your suggestion on the Audio Technica AT-LP60X. I have also been suggested to look at the following alternates:
  1. Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo with Ortofon 2M Red (~$399.00) (comes with a cue lever to lower / raise the tone arm; an upgrade from the current pick and place system on the Bush Baron MPS 327)
  2. Denon DP 300-F (~$349.00) (fully auto)
  3. Fluance RT 81+ / RT 82 (~$299.00) (may not serve my needs)
Any suggestions on how the first two compare with the Audio Technica AT-LP60X?

Thank you once again for your valuable inputs!

The project might not have a Phonostage so it cannot be directly connected to the amplifier ?

I am not sure how they compare but am sure they will all be good.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back