Hi-Fi System/Floorstanders within 30k

ak47

A friend of mine wants to buy a hi-fi system or floor standers with an amp. His budget is 30k. The system will be used at full volume for at least 6 hours in a day as he runs a fitness centre. He would not mind going for indian speakers and amp as long as the output and durability are good. Please suggest.

Sent from iPhone. Please ignore typos.

I have heard of AVR's being used in fitness center... Onkyo AVR plays all channel stereo.. Not sure if the other AVR's have that feature.... So you can consider used AVR from Onkyo....

Not sure how big is the room, you can consider 2 pairs of BS speakers...For BS speakers you can look at Hifimart.com.....

I sold a set of bose 901's to a guy with a fitness center.
If you lift the speakers above the people - as in hang it form the ceiling, you get a lot further with the same wattage.
A lot of commercial grade amps can run 4 or more speakers, and they have lots of power.
Also super low bass is what needs power, getting it in the air, almost loses some of that bass. However, you cant hear that bass if you bring it to the floor anyway, so you're better off keeping that in mind and not even bothering about it.
Cool.
Srinath.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
Consider at least two sub woofers and 4 wall mount bookshelf speakers. Get a used 5.1 receiver for amplification to spare.
My friend won't be interested in buying a used amplifier or speakers. The dimensions of the rooms are 20 feet by 13 feet. So IMHO 2 subwoofers will be a lot of bass to handle.

I have heard of AVR's being used in fitness center... Onkyo AVR plays all channel stereo.. Not sure if the other AVR's have that feature.... So you can consider used AVR from Onkyo....

Not sure how big is the room, you can consider 2 pairs of BS speakers...For BS speakers you can look at Hifimart.com.....

Onkyo 3500 is a very nice suggestion. I'll ask my friend to go audition it. My only concern is that will it be able to handle 6 hours of continuous music every day?

I sold a set of bose 901's to a guy with a fitness center.
If you lift the speakers above the people - as in hang it form the ceiling, you get a lot further with the same wattage.
A lot of commercial grade amps can run 4 or more speakers, and they have lots of power.
Also super low bass is what needs power, getting it in the air, almost loses some of that bass. However, you cant hear that bass if you bring it to the floor anyway, so you're better off keeping that in mind and not even bothering about it.
Cool.
Srinath.

Thanks for the suggestions sir. Bose will most certainly be out of budget. But I will experiment with the speaker positioning as you have suggested.

I am also looking at Sonodyne 2503 floorstanders with Sonodyne Sia 300 integrated amp. Is this a good choice for the heavy daily usage?

Onkyo 3500 is a very nice suggestion. I'll ask my friend to go audition it. My only concern is that will it be able to handle 6 hours of continuous music every day?

Sometimes, i have used my AVR for more than 6 Hrs continuously.... I have had no issues....

If there is good ventilation around the AVR, there is no need to worry...

Bose 901 was just an example.
BTW he was thinking of running it without the equaliser and turning the treble up on the amp. The bose eq cuts down the mids by 18 db to make the inherent 80 hz - 15k Hz speakers stretch more like 30 hz - 20K hz. Take out the eq, and its like you get 64 X the power from the amp in the mids.
Yes even in the US Bose is $$$, 901's are over $500. However you can push 300 watts through them, and produce 135 db sound with 4 of them in each corner of a 100 X 100 gym style building. There is almost nothing in that price range that can do that. I once remember an event like that and the sound was provided by 4 commercial grade Klipsch La Scala's. Those run over 1000 a pair. There is a variety of self powered speakers that would do it, but those also run over a G /pair.

I would suggest self powered speakers. However every one of those that I have seen has some issue or other in the design/implementation. Like, it needs a fan, but you put a fan in it, and it sounds like the is a helicopter flying overhead all the time. Or it is basically all midrange, because they have put in so much effort into making it sound right at ear level, but you lift it 20 ft and promptly it loses all the bass just due to being hanging in the air, and hence the mid range over powers the thing.

I dunno, if you try to save $$ in the wrong place, you could end up losing big elsewhere. And speakers are the end point, when you are spending $$$ your ROI is best spent on speakers. You need high SPL and response from 80 hz and up, and total wattage capacity is next. See what you can get that would do that. Sound quality is almost secondary.

Cool.
Srinath.

I am also looking at Sonodyne 2503 floorstanders with Sonodyne Sia 300 integrated amp. Is this a good choice for the heavy daily usage?

Sonodyne Sonus 2605 are the speakers that i have paired with Onkyo AVR, have used them extensively sometimes.... So 2504, should meet your requirements.....

Sonodyne Sonus 2605 are the speakers that i have paired with Onkyo AVR, have used them extensively sometimes.... So 2504, should meet your requirements.....

Thanks for the input. I will send my friend to audition Sonodyne and Onkyo and let his ears choose between them.

Onkyo yes. I've used it in the past for TV around 12-14 hours per day, that's continuous, either Tata Sky, or movies via HTPC.

It gets hot, but absolutely no issues.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back