Maximum DIY contents in the whole rig and never sounded this good….

Next addition to my collection: F2a SE driven by 6N23P, makes 10-12 watts per channel. Glorious sound ! My first attempt ever, to extract so many watts from F2a without sacrificing frequency bandwidth and Sonics.

View attachment 85462

View attachment 85463
Experimented with different tubes (direct replacement) at driver stage. Most interesting finds were 6N2P / 6N23P / ECC88. (7308 is way to expensive). Very interesting finds. With each tube the amp wonderfully caters to different speakers, be it warm, bright or neutral. There is hardly any noticeable change in gain or power delivery.

What your experiments mean sir - is that DiY has the best bang for the buck! DiY speakers for sure, unless you are making something really tough to get the woodworking right of, like transmission line speakers.
DiY amplifiers - yes - provided you can get the safety mechanisms right - like "protect mode" if your wires in the amplifier accidentally touch.
DiY - especially using some good drivers - like SB Acoustics Indonesia - will give the best bang for the buck. RAAL ribbon tweeters as well.
Can experiment with serial style crossovers instead of parallel.

What your experiments mean sir - is that DiY has the best bang for the buck! DiY speakers for sure, unless you are making something really tough to get the woodworking right of, like transmission line speakers.
DiY amplifiers - yes - provided you can get the safety mechanisms right - like "protect mode" if your wires in the amplifier accidentally touch.
DiY - especially using some good drivers - like SB Acoustics Indonesia - will give the best bang for the buck. RAAL ribbon tweeters as well.
Can experiment with serial style crossovers instead of parallel.
Yes, I know inside out of my designs. With custom wound iron for each and every build, I hit the “bulls eye” of sonics. Wide free response, low THD, IMD, excellent dynamics, super wide soundstage and incredible imaging. Vocals are smooth yet detailed. I don’t know what listening fatigue is.

Chances of shorts etc are minimal as my layout is long lasting and very reliable for next many years or even decades. I would rather be interested in knowing the cause of anything fails over time, though it’s yet to happen with a build.

DIY requires unlimited patience and efforts and is not cheap but for me getting same quality from off shelf would be quite expensive. Four more interesting amps planned this year and next year would be devoted more to speaker building, mostly horn setups.

All done already in parts, but measuring and crossover designs, something I have not done seriously and extensively. So more learning and new skills…

IMG_8921.jpeg

Fired the double triode SRPP Tube preamp today driving F2a amp. The preamp is 6AX5GT tube rectified and double triode is 6GF7, comes recommended by Thomas Mayer for line level preamps.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back