New Plasma by Panasonic - Viera P42G10 (Launched in India)

Has anybody tried playing AVCHD files on G10? I think it is possible to convert mkv files to mts using some tools and put it on an SD card to be played on G10. Does this work?

hey guys.. google directed me here and just registered.. :o

Oka.. i have a query.. I just bot a g10 about 2 days ago and have the screen flicker problem while using with the ps3. the problem is only with the g10 at 1080p, 60hz/50hz, so blu-rays run fine but games @ 1080p do not. apparently this was a very widespread problem and they have a whole thread over at avforums. the g10 42 and 46 inch models had this problem with the ps3, x360 and certain onkyo systems and others as well. to rectify this, panasonic issued a firmware back in late august (i found this out through the avforums thread) and the update works.
now my problem remains getting this update for our region, ie the g10 D.
when the pana tech support called me to fix an appointment for this problem i mentioned my R n D :D and told them they need to get me this update. And i got the reaction that i expected.. they've never heard of such a problem and somehow the word firmware scared them :ohyeah:

now, any of you guys familiar with this issue/can help me get this update for our region, cz frankly i don't think pana tech support would be up for it, i'd be really grateful.

this is my first HDTV and i love my gaming so this issue is getting me kinda bummed out.

all suggestions welcome.. :cheers:

PS : there is no issue with the cables, evthing runs fine @ 720p, 1080i and the same setup works dandy on another tv.

Has anybody tried playing AVCHD files on G10? I think it is possible to convert mkv files to mts using some tools and put it on an SD card to be played on G10. Does this work?

I tried this but was not successful (maybe I did'nt try hard enough?).

Anyway, I went ahead and bought a WDTV Digital Media Player and connected it using an HDMI cable to the G10. MKV files now play brilliantly in Full HD / HD ready (depending on the file), right off my portable HDD / Pen drive, without any conversion needed.

(For audio, my WDTV is connected to my Denon AVR using an optical cable)

I likes my WDTV!

Cheers

hey guys.. google directed me here and just registered.. :o

Oka.. i have a query.. I just bot a g10 about 2 days ago and have the screen flicker problem while using with the ps3. the problem is only with the g10 at 1080p, 60hz/50hz, so blu-rays run fine but games @ 1080p do not. apparently this was a very widespread problem and they have a whole thread over at avforums. the g10 42 and 46 inch models had this problem with the ps3, x360 and certain onkyo systems and others as well. to rectify this, panasonic issued a firmware back in late august (i found this out through the avforums thread) and the update works.
now my problem remains getting this update for our region, ie the g10 D.
when the pana tech support called me to fix an appointment for this problem i mentioned my R n D :D and told them they need to get me this update. And i got the reaction that i expected.. they've never heard of such a problem and somehow the word firmware scared them :ohyeah:

now, any of you guys familiar with this issue/can help me get this update for our region, cz frankly i don't think pana tech support would be up for it, i'd be really grateful.

this is my first HDTV and i love my gaming so this issue is getting me kinda bummed out.

all suggestions welcome.. :cheers:

PS : there is no issue with the cables, evthing runs fine @ 720p, 1080i and the same setup works dandy on another tv.
Achilles,

Can you check this link

Panasonic Plasma Products Firmware Downloads - Tuesday, 10/6/2009 - 66891

They havent mentioned anythg abt the regions though. G10 panel update is there.

Instructions here.
http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.com/firmware/Content/Firmware/PDP/42G10_Panel_Update/G10_Instructions.pdf

I am looking on feedback on SD content (tatasky) Performance G10 model.
My usages are mostly for Cable viewing (Tata sky) till we have HD content available with the cable operator. So PQ and in SD mode is most critical parameter from evaluation stand point.
My observation: HD is amazing but did not find the SD up scaling very inspiring. Practical feedback in comparison to LCD (LA40B650) will be used great help

Hi Coolhead

I have a G10 and Tata Sky+. The picture is a bit "soft" sometimes (rather like the soft-focus used in soap operas), but otherwise quite watchable.

I have the Tata Sky+ connected to the TV via my Denon AVR-1908, which outputs thru HDMI but otherwise leaves the signal unchanged (ie does not upscale). The G10 shows "576i" when receiving signal from Tata Sky+.

However, DVDs played on my Sony Progressive Scan DVD player are brilliant. The G10 shows "576p" when receiving signal from the DVD player.

Which leads me to the conclusion that the G10 upscales very well (as in the DVD signal, which is 576p, and is upscaled to 1080p by the tv), but does not "de-interlace" that well (as in the Tata Sky+ signal which is 576i, and is first deinterlaced and then upscaled).

However, HD TV should not be that far away. The commonwealth games to be held in Delhi soon should ensure that.

Cheers

Sumain

Achilles,

Can you check this link

Panasonic Plasma Products Firmware Downloads - Tuesday, 10/6/2009 - 66891

They havent mentioned anythg abt the regions though. G10 panel update is there.

Instructions here.
http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.com/firmware/Content/Firmware/PDP/42G10_Panel_Update/G10_Instructions.pdf

yeap.. I did check that link but it's not for our region tv. I guess our model most closely resembles the Europe model g10. I have link to that update as well but am kinda skeptical cz anything funny and the tv mite be bricked. The tech support is really crappy knowledge wise..1 person who called me for info did not even know 1080p as a term!!

N I'm actually surprised no1 faced this issue over here till now. Or maybe I'm the only unlucky one.. No Panasonic reps on this forum??!!
Their response times are good though.

Hi Coolhead

I have a G10 and Tata Sky+. The picture is a bit "soft" sometimes (rather like the soft-focus used in soap operas), but otherwise quite watchable.

I have the Tata Sky+ connected to the TV via my Denon AVR-1908, which outputs thru HDMI but otherwise leaves the signal unchanged (ie does not upscale). The G10 shows "576i" when receiving signal from Tata Sky+.

However, DVDs played on my Sony Progressive Scan DVD player are brilliant. The G10 shows "576p" when receiving signal from the DVD player.

Which leads me to the conclusion that the G10 upscales very well (as in the DVD signal, which is 576p, and is upscaled to 1080p by the tv), but does not "de-interlace" that well (as in the Tata Sky+ signal which is 576i, and is first deinterlaced and then upscaled).

However, HD TV should not be that far away. The commonwealth games to be held in Delhi soon should ensure that.

Cheers

Sumain

+1
the deinterlacing is not the best tho it's not completely dumb. The HD performance is superb tho.. And really if you wana buy a tv like this then your primary source should be HD with sd on the side.

Also.. Any1 tried the sun HD..?? How's the performance and how many channels are actually HD? I doubt they would've used HDMI though.

@achilles : hi...welcome to the G10 club. you are absolutely right --panasonic india's service totally sucks. they should learn from samsung/lg.

couple of features which are listed in panasonic india's website under G10:

1) Screen Saver: Wobbling

2) Multi Window: PAT

3) Aspect Controls : 4:3 Full

could you please tell me how to access these three features.

thank you so much,
--pps

@achilles : hi...welcome to the G10 club. you are absolutely right --panasonic india's service totally sucks. they should learn from samsung/lg.

couple of features which are listed in panasonic india's website under G10:

1) Screen Saver: Wobbling

2) Multi Window: PAT

3) Aspect Controls : 4:3 Full

could you please tell me how to access these three features.

thank you so much,
--pps

mm.. the only screen saver setting i could access was for the time.

for the rest, im not in front of my tv at this time. wud update u in a bit.

so any1 who can help me with the firmware issue..?? how do i get the stoopeed pana tech support to do what is to be done. im clearly telling them what is to be done. they just have to execute it so i dont have to worry about bricking my tv or voiding the warranty. :licklips:

mm.. the only screen saver setting i could access was for the time.

for the rest, im not in front of my tv at this time. wud update u in a bit.

so any1 who can help me with the firmware issue..?? how do i get the stoopeed pana tech support to do what is to be done. im clearly telling them what is to be done. they just have to execute it so i dont have to worry about bricking my tv or voiding the warranty. :licklips:

thanks achilles...could you please elaborate on the screen saver setting ? unfortunately i couldn't get you.

for the panasonic tech support, you can tell them that if the problem is not fixed you will go to the consumer forum ---and see what's there reaction is :)

thanks achilles...could you please elaborate on the screen saver setting ? unfortunately i couldn't get you.

for the panasonic tech support, you can tell them that if the problem is not fixed you will go to the consumer forum ---and see what's there reaction is :)

sorry if i wasn't clear. i meant the only setting i can c for the screensaver is after how much time it should activate.

and yea.. i guess ill have to show my angry side. it's just that i don't think they're lazy and just not paying attention.. they're clueless :p

sorry if i wasn't clear. i meant the only setting i can c for the screensaver is after how much time it should activate.

and yea.. i guess ill have to show my angry side. it's just that i don't think they're lazy and just not paying attention.. they're clueless :p

if you dont mind, could you please tell me under which menu this is present?

regarding panasonic's service, which is also bothering me is that you wont find any kind of escalation matrix in there website.

if you dont mind, could you please tell me under which menu this is present?

regarding panasonic's service, which is also bothering me is that you wont find any kind of escalation matrix in there website.

Hmmm..that's funny..I can't find the setting now!!
And the guy from Panasonic came today. As usual..awesome. He did not even know the word firmware.. :clapping:

I'm scared for my tv now.. :(

Btw.. what's escalation matrix..?!

Hmmm..that's funny..I can't find the setting now!!
And the guy from Panasonic came today. As usual..awesome. He did not even know the word firmware.. :clapping:

I'm scared for my tv now.. :(

Btw.. what's escalation matrix..?!

have you been able to find out the other features which i mentioned earlier ?

if you want to escalate any matter/complain, you need to have a escalation matrix available to you. for e.g., say you have complained for some defect in your set to your local panasonic service center and after a stipulated time they were unable to fix it (or avoiding to fix it); then, you can escalate the matter to the next higher authority and so on.

normally as industry practice (at-least for IT industry) there are Level-1, Level-2 and Level-3 supports available. even if not in that granular level, but at-least LG/Samsung/Carrier etc companies have e-mail ids in their website which are accessed by their very senior personnel, where they do reply quite fast and very eager to resolve any issue regarding their product.

have you been able to find out the other features which i mentioned earlier ?

if you want to escalate any matter/complain, you need to have a escalation matrix available to you. for e.g., say you have complained for some defect in your set to your local panasonic service center and after a stipulated time they were unable to fix it (or avoiding to fix it); then, you can escalate the matter to the next higher authority and so on.

normally as industry practice (at-least for IT industry) there are Level-1, Level-2 and Level-3 supports available. even if not in that granular level, but at-least LG/Samsung/Carrier etc companies have e-mail ids in their website which are accessed by their very senior personnel, where they do reply quite fast and very eager to resolve any issue regarding their product.

hmmm.. i thought as much for the escalation matrix to be something similar, just dint know exactly what it was. thanks for that :)

as for multi window PAT and 4:3 full,
well no. i couldn't find them. maybe the manual could help.. ill still try to look.. i think they might only be for the tv though.. like the tv part and not on HDMI or av..

hmmm.. i thought as much for the escalation matrix to be something similar, just dint know exactly what it was. thanks for that :)

as for multi window PAT and 4:3 full,
well no. i couldn't find them. maybe the manual could help.. ill still try to look.. i think they might only be for the tv though.. like the tv part and not on HDMI or av..

hi achilles,

got the 4:3 Full explanation in the manual. it is only available when you have 4:3 HD broadcast.

no mention of PAT in the manual.

have you able to find out regarding the screen saver and wobbling ?

hi achilles,

got the 4:3 Full explanation in the manual. it is only available when you have 4:3 HD broadcast.

no mention of PAT in the manual.

have you able to find out regarding the screen saver and wobbling ?

lol. nope. m sure i saw the screensaver word in some menu. just can't get back there. :p

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back