Norge Concerto Gold 1000 Review ( An underestimated Brand)

Use optical out (toslink) from your TV to the BTA30 - should be much better than bluetooth (especially if your TV does not support the latest hi def BT codecs). Will wait for your revert :)
It seems my TV is very old, do not have optical out, it has only stereo out :). was waiting to replace this TV if it stops working, however it going strong even after 10 years.

It seems my TV is very old, do not have optical out, it has only stereo out :). was waiting to replace this TV if it stops working, however it going strong even after 10 years.
In that case, the issue is probably the fact that your TV is still using SBC and not the newer herbal higher throughput codecs such as Aptx.

An alternative would be the optical out on your PS4. It supports some streaming apps for music and movies.

I think I might be missing the right connections or good cables. Thanks in advance.
You don't need any fancy cables as long as they are decent enough (tinned copper, proper shielding and shiny connectors like MX). Tip- use a magnet to check cables, if they stick, throw them away
IMHO , the problem you might be facing is the lower output signal strength from your "non CD/DVD player" devices.
Output from CD / DVD player is usually around 2V rms which provides quite loud output with amp volume at 10 o'clock clock position. Analog opamps in these players work with +/- 12V
While the output from portable devices (working on 5V dc) is usually between 0.5V - 1 V rms, for which you may have to crank up the volume beyond 12 o'clock position. Bass response may feel a bit "feeble" from such devices.
Solution 1 . You can get your Norge amp moded for higher gain from a qualified technician (just 2 gain resistors needs to be changed)
Solution 2. use a preamp to boost the signal

Last edited:
In that case, the issue is probably the fact that your TV is still using SBC and not the newer herbal higher throughput codecs such as Aptx.

An alternative would be the optical out on your PS4. It supports some streaming apps for music and movies.
Thank you. Now I started understanding where the issue is, the audio output I am taking from headphone socket of old VU TV to amp is not great. My PS4 was slim version which do not have optical out. I think I have to use HDMI audio splitter.

You don't need any fancy cables as long as they are decent enough (tinned copper, proper shielding and shiny connectors like MX). Tip- use a magnet to check cables, if they stick, throw them away
IMHO , the problem you might be facing is the lower output signal strength from your "non CD/DVD player" devices.
Output from CD / DVD player is usually around 2V rms which provides quite loud output with amp volume at 10 o'clock clock position. Analog opamps in these players work with +/- 12V
While the output from portable devices (working on 5V dc) is usually between 0.5V - 1 V rms, for which you may have to crank up the volume beyond 12 o'clock position. Bass response may feel a bit "feeble" from such devices.
Solution 1 . You can get your Norge amp moded for higher gain from a qualified technician (just 2 gain resistors needs to be changed)
Solution 2. use a preamp to boost the signal

Thanks for your time. Your clarification on output gave me great insights,

Now I understood where the issue is. 15 years back, I started with basic Philips DVD player bought from a military canteen and was using with CRT TV. I used 3 RCA Cable, connected video output to CRT TV and stereo audio to Norge amp. I truly enjoyed audio that time from DVD player. Later when I moved to VU TV and started using chrome cast and later to Fire stick , audio quality was never great. I think this is because audio output from TV to amp was never good.

Later researched and planned to buy a Pioneer Blu-ray player, than with too much research i bought a PS4 with an idea that it serves to play both Blu-ray and console for kids to play games. It served well for kids to play games, however audio quality was not great using my Norge setup because audio source was taken from TV which is poor.

Assuming my above understanding is correct, I am thinking of buying the below HDMI audio splitter and give input as prime stick and take video out for TV and audio out to Norge amp. if this works then I can make use of the existing system more effectively. Appreciate your comments/inputs on this.

Also, power supply stopped to my Norge amp, spoke to Laxman sir, he is happy to give a try to repair in the same day. I can courier it, however I am thinking of taking it personally to get experience the factory and see different setups. Given the above clarity I got, should I still go for higher amp modification in Norge amp, please let me know.

HDMI audio splitter and give input as prime stick and take video out for TV and audio out to Norge amp. if this works then I can make use of the existing system more effectively. Appreciate your comments/inputs on this.
A well recorded 16bit /44.1 KHz CD audio can beat any hi-res streaming music / OTT services , no comparisons
HDMI to analog rca output voltage swing is again limited by its 5V supply. You won't get results any better than your other devices.
Since you are anyways visiting Norge SC, just ask Mr Laxman to change the gain resistors to a higher value. If he refuses I can do it for you.
PM me Incase if you are visiting norge, I also want to see their setup

A well recorded 16bit /44.1 KHz CD audio can beat any hi-res streaming music / OTT services , no comparisons
HDMI to analog rca output voltage swing is again limited by its 5V supply. You won't get results any better than your other devices.
Since you are anyways visiting Norge SC, just ask Mr Laxman to change the gain resistors to a higher value. If he refuses I can do it for you.
PM me Incase if you are visiting norge, I also want to see their setup
Great, thanks for the inputs. I will keep you posted if I plan to travel.

Another question I have after this discussion is why I am not getting decent audio quality when I play music from my iPhone (Spotify Premium) -> BTA30 Pro connected via Bluetooth -> Line out to Norge 2060 amp. What am I missing here? Any help with this configuration would be appreciated.

Another question I have after this discussion is why I am not getting decent audio quality when I play music from my iPhone (Spotify Premium) -> BTA30 Pro connected via Bluetooth -> Line out to Norge 2060 amp. What am I missing here?
U r missing the required gain of 4X to boost the low level output of your media Player devices, which can be corrected with a simple mod, like I've mentioned in my earlier post

U r missing the required gain of 4X to boost the low level output of your media Player devices, which can be corrected with a simple mod, like I've mentioned in my earlier post
Great, thanks a ton for clarifying all my queries.

Just for clarification-
How I had arrived at the 4X gain figure
Assuming 500mV rms output from media player devices 500mV Or 0.5 V x 4 = 2 V rms
If your media player has 300mV rms outpu then use 6.5X gain.
But suppose your media player outputs 1V rms , then u need only 2x gain
Read your documentations or ask the oem for details.
I use oscilloscope or a true rms multimeter with 0dB sine wave signals to measure the output. my diy preamps have a switchable gain of 1x , 4x and 8x
Warning- if one feeds 2V rms line level output to preamp with a gain of 4x , then the resulting output will be 8V rms! This will result in a highly distorted loud clipping audio signal and may damage your audio devices

Just for clarification-
How I had arrived at the 4X gain figure
Assuming 500mV rms output from media player devices 500mV Or 0.5 V x 4 = 2 V rms
If your media player has 300mV rms outpu then use 6.5X gain.
But suppose your media player outputs 1V rms , then u need only 2x gain
Read your documentations or ask the oem for details.
I use oscilloscope or a true rms multimeter with 0dB sine wave signals to measure the output. my diy preamps have a switchable gain of 1x , 4x and 8x
Warning- if one feeds 2V rms line level output to preamp with a gain of 4x , then the resulting output will be 8V rms! This will result in a highly distorted loud clipping audio signal and may damage your audio devices
Great insights, need to learn a lot :) Mr Laxman from Norge agreed to increase preamp gain by 3x, sent for repair and modification. Hoping for better quality post preamp gain modification :)

Norge concerto gold 1000 (Inside picture) in case someone like to see the circuit. I opened the lid to clean up the scratchy vol button with help of wd40. It was a total risk but worked fine and there is no scratchy sound now.

Caution - In case anyone use this WD40 product please do at own risk and great care otherwise there are proper contact point cleaners available online.

Attachments

• Norge amp inside (Resized).jpg
    Norge amp inside (Resized).jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 35
Norge concerto gold 1000 (Inside picture) in case someone like to see the circuit. I opened the lid to clean up the scratchy vol button with help of wd40. It was a total risk but worked fine and there is no scratchy sound now.
Don't worry , no risk at all! But Wd40 is not meant for cleaning pots (I have seen tech. using it on pots), but can be used for cleaning contacts and switches
Nice of you to post pics.
Actually I wanted to have a look of the PCB track side(PCB layout), for studying this circuit (which is based on Rod Elliot's P3A design). I know, its too difficult for you. I searched internet , but couldn't find it. Maybe some other member who has some technical expertise or needs to repair their amp can post it, that would be very helpful for me .

Last edited:
Don't worry , no risk at all! But Wd40 is not meant for cleaning pots (I have seen tech. using it on pots), but can be used for cleaning contacts and switches
Nice of you to post pics.
Actually I wanted to have a look of the PCB track side(PCB layout), for studying this circuit (which is based on Rod Elliot's P3A design). I know, its too difficult for you. I searched internet , but couldn't find it. Maybe some other member who has some technical expertise or needs to repair their amp can post it, that would be very helpful for me .
Well, it was not difficult to open the lid and clean the knob but I was just little doubtful on using WD40. Now as you have cleared there is no problem to use WD40 on contacts & switches I am cleared on my left over doubts. As such I keep doing some non technical maintenance work for my audio unit and many other small maintenance work at home, it builds that confidence and expertise to solve problems and save some bucks. Moreover it helps to learn. Thanks for your inputs.

Well, it was not difficult to open the lid and clean the knob but I was just little doubtful on using WD40. Now as you have cleared there is no problem to use WD40 on contacts & switches I am cleared on my left over doubts. As such I keep doing some non technical maintenance work for my audio unit and many other small maintenance work at home, it builds that confidence and expertise to solve problems and save some bucks. Moreover it helps to learn. Thanks for your inputs.
Did you get some cracking sound in speakers when you increased / decreased the volume ? . I got this sound once , but after that nothing and its working fine

I wanted to clean my amp tone controls and did a net research. WD -40 is not recommended by many due to it leaving residue. I then invested in a good switch cleaning spray, by CRC and am happy , though YMMV. However some of these cleaners can harm the carbon rails, but then this is a risk we have take.

I would hesitate to use WD 40 for audio equipment. Its a great product , sure - but i use it for cleaning my bike !
Even I use it for cleaning & lubricating, removing sticker patches. No doubt it is a useful product for various home applications. Regarding using for scratchy vol knob it was just a one time use as I did not have any other such lubricant so I just took the risk.

Last edited:
I wanted to clean my amp tone controls and did a net research. WD -40 is not recommended by many due to it leaving residue. I then invested in a good switch cleaning spray, by CRC and am happy , though YMMV. However some of these cleaners can harm the carbon rails, but then this is a risk we have take.
Very true. I agree with u. Even I will buy a proper cleaning spray next time I have such problem. This time it was just one time use for an emergency situation, Vol knob of the amp and two rotating knobs of a wireless headphone (Sennheiser RS120 II). Fortunately for me it worked for both.

Did you get some cracking sound in speakers when you increased / decreased the volume ? . I got this sound once , but after that nothing and its working fine
Yes similar kind of cracking/scratch in the speakers while switching on when I used to increase the vol the scratch was prominent in both speakers or left side speaker. Now the problem is not there and the vol knob is also buttery smooth. But as many say use of WD40 for any such work can be risky. I experimented as my amp is Indian (Norge),not much costly and if by chance something goes wrong I can get it repaired easily from manufacturer itself.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back