Passive speakers around 30k

kingfisher

I am looking for Good speakers around 30K. Previously I had Dali sensor 3 paired with my NAD amplifier and used it for 3 years. Now wanted to build a new stereo system with completely different sound signature. So first I want to choose the speaker. If required want to change the amp too. Right now I am interested in Mission QX2 speaker as I like good bass. But it is discontinued so planning to go with Mission QX2 MKII. Pls suggest a good speaker. Even interested to buy used ones. Here in my place no scope for audition.

I am looking for Good speakers around 30K. Previously I had Dali sensor 3 paired with my NAD amplifier and used it for 3 years. Now wanted to build a new stereo system with completely different sound signature. So first I want to choose the speaker. If required want to change the amp too. Right now I am interested in Mission QX2 speaker as I like good bass. But it is discontinued so planning to go with Mission QX2 MKII. Pls suggest a good speaker. Even interested to buy used ones. Here in my place no scope for audition.
What kind of music you listen to?
What is your source?

You have a good system. NAD and Dali are known to go well with each other. What change are you looking for? Do you have a Sub in the chain? Which DAC are you using?

MaSh

You have a good system. NAD and Dali are known to go well with each other. What change are you looking for? Do you have a Sub in the chain? Which DAC are you using?

MaSh
I use Modi 2 Uber| DAC. I connect my lap or mobile USB out to DAC. Though I enjoyed the sound most of the times I feel some thing is missing. The bass is boomy and some jarring effect found at full bass. I feel some frequencies or instrument's are masked or not emphasized or pronounced enough. I dont have sub.
Also my NAD 3020 is very old one and buttons are sluggish and need some service. So wanted to try with new amp, DAC and speaker combo.

Last edited:
I use Modi 2 Uber| DAC. I connect my lap or mobile USB out to DAC. Though I enjoyed the sound most of the times I feel some thing is missing. The bass is boomy and some jarring effect found at full bass. I feel some frequencies or instrument's are masked or not emphasized or pronounced enough. I dont have sub.
Also my NAD 3020 is very old one and buttons are sluggish and need some service. So wanted to try with new amp, DAC and speaker combo.
Maybe you should change the amplifier rather than speaker?

MaSh

Maybe you should change the amplifier rather than speaker?
I already sold the speaker. I thought jarring effect is problem with speakers. I did not have any other amplifier to check. That is used speaker only. I am the second owner.

I already sold the speaker. I thought jarring effect is problem with speakers. I did not have any other amplifier to check. That is used speaker only. I am the second owner.
Ohh alright. Time to sell the amp too or repurpose it elsewhere.

See if you can audition yamaha hs8 active speakers. Or even Q Acoustics m20 active speakers.

If passive only then try to travel to Bangalore or Chennai to audition speaker and amp combos.

MaSh

Your amp is dated
The 3020
Was good in it's time
The time has passed

Whatever modern speakers you buy
Your amp might still be a bottleneck

You may now have to budget for both
Unfortunately

Ohh alright. Time to sell the amp too or repurpose it elsewhere.

See if you can audition yamaha hs8 active speakers. Or even Q Acoustics m20 active speakers.

If passive only then try to travel to Bangalore or Chennai to audition speaker and amp combos.

MaSh
Thanks. In Bangalore is there a store to do audition ? I know The Home Theater Store.

Your amp is dated
The 3020
Was good in it's time
The time has passed

Whatever modern speakers you buy
Your amp might still be a bottleneck

You may now have to budget for both
Unfortunately
Thanks for the reply. As Mash told I am considering Q Acoustics m20 as I dont have budget and time for passive set up. But it seems tat also not available in Hifimart. In amazon they sell at 52K.

Hi bro,

You can consider the elac model as well. There are enough good reviews in this forum too about this active speaker.

Amazon sellers most of the time won't provide brand warranty, which you may have to confirm upfront in case you are going with Amazon.

Since it is USB, the source can also be a problem sometimes. In your case the laptop and mobile may be transmitting significant electrical noise (over and above data transmission even though it may in asynchronous mode).

And Modi DAC is not having great immunity against time jitter nor electrical noise coming in via usb.

Since it is USB, the source can also be a problem sometimes. In your case the laptop and mobile may be transmitting significant electrical noise (over and above data transmission even though it may in asynchronous mode).

And Modi DAC is not having great immunity against time jitter nor electrical noise coming in via usb.
Yes. Modi DAC is good with optical input but with USB input not so well. Hence planning to change DAC too in future.

Hi bro,

You can consider the elac model as well. There are enough good reviews in this forum too about this active speaker.

Amazon sellers most of the time won't provide brand warranty, which you may have to confirm upfront in case you are going with Amazon.
Thanks bro.

Warefale diamonds 12.1
Qacoustics 3020
Fyne audio

All are decent budget passives
At least thats where I would start at minimum

And if you are looking at getting a new dac And and amp
Just get a decent 50-60 watt all in one ( streamer , dac ,amp )
Decent ones can be bought at 30-35k

In 65- 70 k
That would make a decent 2 channel setup

After lots of thinking and suggestions from FMs, I have decided to take passive route though it takes more time, and money. Since budget is a constraint, decided to buy used stuff for both speaker and amplifier. Right now I have Mission QX2 MKII and Marantz 600X in mind. Budget for both together is 40K.

Finally I managed to get a used mission QX2 MK2. Now looking for a suitable amplifier to pair with. I came across used Marantz PM6004 in fb market place. Need suggestions to choose the amp. Budget is around 20K

Finally I managed to get a used mission QX2 MK2. Now looking for a suitable amplifier to pair with. I came across used Marantz PM6004 in fb market place. Need suggestions to choose the amp. Budget is around 20K
You can also check going down the Class D route if that appeals to you.

For your budget, you can buy 2 AIYIMA A07 Max and use them in mono configuration to drive Mission QX2 MK2 speakers.

Later you can do Op Amp rolling to experiment with sound signature if needed.

I have a pair of Fosi Audio ZA3's running in mono configuration driving the Mission QX2 MK2 speakers in balanced mode (via the DAC) and they sound really great.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back