Please suggest good DIY amplifier board for 4 Ohms 25 Watt sub woofer which can run on 12V

sim_tcr

Hello,

I am trying to find a good DIY amplifier board that can run in 12V (my other amps run on 12V 15A smps, so need to stick with 12V) for 4 Ohms 25 Watt subwoofer

I already tried below,
TPA3118 PBTL 60W Mono Digital Amplifier on 12V. It worked, but two coils on the board (near voltage input side) got too hot to touch.
TPA3110 Mono Channel Digital Amplifier Board 30W Power Amplifier Module - Not enough punch for the subwoofer.
LM1875 Mono Power Amplifier Board 30W - Not enough punch for the subwoofer.

Speaker full Specifications:
Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
Resonance Frequency: 60 Hz
Power Handling: RMS 25 Watt
Short Term Power: RMS 70 Watt
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 82 dB
Resistance (DC): 4 Ω

Last edited:
Hello,

I am trying to find a good DIY amplifier board that can run in 12V (my other amps run on 12V 15A smps, so need to stick with 12V) for 4 Ohms 25 Watt subwoofer

I already tried below,
TPA3118 PBTL 60W Mono Digital Amplifier on 12V. It worked, but two coils on the board (near voltage input side) got too hot to touch.
TPA3110 Mono Channel Digital Amplifier Board 30W Power Amplifier Module - Not enough punch for the subwoofer.
LM1875 Mono Power Amplifier Board 30W - Not enough punch for the subwoofer.

Speaker full Specifications:
Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
Resonance Frequency: 60 Hz
Power Handling: RMS 25 Watt
Short Term Power: RMS 70 Watt
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 82 dB
Resistance (DC): 4 Ω
What is the size of the subwoofer and what is the application?

TPA3118 PBTL 60W Mono Digital Amplifier
Check if the IC has 28 pins (fake) or 32 pins (genuine) . The output coil of these cheap boards is inadequate for 4 ohms load.
At 12V , your options are limited only to class D boards. Look for car sub boards, since you have good PSU

Check if the IC has 28 pins (fake) or 32 pins (genuine) . The output coil of these cheap boards is inadequate for 4 ohms load.
At 12V , your options are limited only to class D boards. Look for car sub boards, since you have good PSU
It only 28 pins, I searched a lot in internet, I dont know where to get original. If you happen to have a link please provide.

Yes, I spoke to some company called extreme amps in TN who build custom class D amplifiers for car subwoofer and explained my situation.
He suggested a "12 to 24V input 130W Class D mono amplifier" model which they make. 500 INR. He said, I should able to run it on 12v 15A and it should drive my sub without issues. He suggested I add a volume control, if its too much bass.
I ordered it, yet to arrive. I will post results here.

12 volt will not give you drive in any boards. Look at TPA3116 boards. They can pump around 50 watts into 4 ohm load at 25 volts, 35 watts at 19 volts (laptop adapters) and around 25 at 15 volts. Can run at 12 volts also.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ub238Dqxgbhn1Qg29
I already tried with TPA3116D2 (stereo) which is running with 24V 4A to 6A SMPS board. It didn't drive the woofer with enough punch. I just connected the woofer to one of the channel.

This setup drive 2x120W 6ohm speakers just fine. (https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...m-usb-aux-card-mp3-stereo-audio-player.90104/)
I don't know why it couldn't drive a small 25W subwoofer.

Last edited:
I already tried with TPA3116D2 (stereo) which is running with 24V 4A to 6A SMPS board. It didn't drive the woofer with enough punch. I just connected the woofer to one of the channel.
In stereo mode, you will not get the required power. You need to power it in BTL mode if your board supports it.
It is better to get a mono 3116D2 board

I'm surprised that a PBTL 3118, even if fake , wasn't able to drive it sufficiently. I have used it in Creative sub with positive results
Like I mentioned in my original post, it did work but eventually amp got destroyed (I think heat on the coils burned it)

I have also used it in LG 5.1 HT sub+ satellite , Sony 3 Way speakers from a defunct system, its still working since past 3 y without any heating issues. Bought dozen of them from Aliexpress for 100 Rs each

Can anyone please look at IOTaudios 100W Subwoofer Amplifier Board Home Theater Mini Amp Audio Power Amplifiers Bass DC12-24V
Technical Parameters:
Operating voltage range: DC9-15V (current 2-3A or more, if the power is larger, it is recommended to be 19-24V4A or more)
Frequency response range: Input: 20Hz-20KHz
Output: 20Hz-180Hz
Audio input sensitivity: 500mV
Subwoofer impedance: 4-8 ohm

Can it drive my 5.25inch 4ohms subwoofer with 12V 15A SMPS? or 19V 3.42A power adapter?
@Kannan @availlyrics

Last edited:
Yes, I spoke to some company called extreme amps in TN who build custom class D amplifiers for car subwoofer and explained my situation.
He suggested a "12 to 24V input 130W Class D mono amplifier" model which they make. 500 INR. He said, I should able to run it on 12v 15A and it should drive my sub without issues. He suggested I add a volume control, if its too much bass.
I ordered it, yet to arrive. I will post results here.
This one also did not solve my situation.
Even at full volume (in tv and amp), it produced very low bass.

Do I need to add some subwoofer preamplifier? or low pass filter?
So that I can increase the gain before it goes to subwoofer amplifier?
I dont know which one I need. If some one can answer with some specific mode, I can google and learn more details.

Can any one tell me which connection is correct in below subwoofer amplifier?
It got stereo input and subwoofer out.
Where as I only got subwoofer signal and gnd wires to connect.

Attachments

• sub-1.jpg
    sub-1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 6
  • sub2.jpg
    sub2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 6
The input signal is stereo (L+R, Gnd), which is summed up by the opamp as mono. You are giving only 1 ch. input to sub amp
You have tried so many amps, perhaps maybe your sub-woofer itself has gone bad. If u were from Mumbai, I would have given you a spare creative sub

The input signal is stereo (L+R, Gnd), which is summed up by the opamp as mono. You are giving only 1 ch. input to sub amp
You have tried so many amps, perhaps maybe your sub-woofer itself has gone bad. If u were from Mumbai, I would have given you a spare creative sub
If I understand your explanation correctly, I just need to provide DAC subwoofer output signal to either left or right of the subwoofer amplifier?
Is that correct understanding?

Thank you for the offer @availlyrics
Yes I tried many amplifiers for my subwoofer. They were cheap enough to buy and try.

Originally, this subwoofer was working with creative's original amp, which probably was good enough to strengthen the weak DAC subwoofer out.
When that amp died, I tried many amplifiers but none provided enough power.
Then, I added a preamplifier (old one was lying unused) between the DAC subwoofer out and subwoofer amplifier and adjusted subwoofer gain in that preamplifier. That solved my issue.
So it confirms, my subwoofer driver itself is good.

I used an app to measure audio levels of subwoofer,
Without preamp - 65dB
With preamp and gain adjusted - 76dB

Why I am going to try this last amp is, they advertise,
"This is a bass power amplifier board with preamplifier, bass crossover, and bass volume potentiometer control."
Which means, I could possibly get rid of the preamplifier for subwoofer.

I will post my results here.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back