Reviews of 2011 Models

Chad's black level values are generally 0.003-0.004 ftl higher than average measurements of other calibrators but it still gives us a good idea of actual levels. I think the ST30 should hit anywhere between 0.007-0.010 with better measuring instruments of other calibrators making it more or less on par with the G20 of last year and possibly like an Asian V20

Chad's black level values are generally 0.003-0.004 ftl higher than average measurements of other calibrators but it still gives us a good idea of actual levels. I think the ST30 should hit anywhere between 0.007-0.010 with better measuring instruments of other calibrators making it more or less on par with the G20 of last year and possibly like an Asian V20

Thanks, Gfreeman. D-Nice mentioned on the avsforum that he's consistently getting close to 0.008 for the ST30. His full review will be out soon..

I see that 2011, Panasonic S30 available in US already.
Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA TC-P42ST30 42-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV: Televisions & Video

one of the comment from user there is:
>>
I recently bought and returned a TC-P42GT25 due to dissatisfaction with the performance of the 3D and other issues. I decided to give this new series of Panasonic plasma tv's a shot to see if i could be convinced that 3D is worth while.
I'm happy to say i am satisfied with the this new set. Most of the issues i had with last year model were resolved with this new television. It has a brighter display and much less cross-talk issues which makes playing video games in 3D much more enjoyable, especially on the PS3. 3D movies like Resident Evil Afterlife are crystal clear.
I bought this set primarily for video games. I needed a full featured, smaller, bedroom sized 3D hdtv that did not break my bank account, and this fits the bill perfectly.
<<<

It looks like 3D is really improved in 2011, If it is really good in S30, I am expecting GT30 and VT30 series would be awesome.

Go Panasonic!

Goodbye Floating blacks. Hello floating whites seems to be Panasonic's way this year. D-Nice has observed that brightness levels may fluctuate on the ST30 in certain scenes. It is not quite clear if this is possibly just flicker or something else. Though it should still not be quite obvious as the floating blacks affecting last year's models further testing and reviews could give a better idea

Last edited:
Samsung D8000 Reviewed by Chad B

Review: Samsung PN51D8000 Plasma

It seems they haven't fixed the elevated black levels when using Cinema Smooth though they have claimed to. Black levels still fall short of Panasonic's ST 30 (0.016 ftl compared to 0.013 ftl(now remeasured to 0.007 ftl on the ST30)). Further testing possibly by Chad to confirm ftl numbers

A very reliable source of HDTV reviews-HDTV's tests on the GT30

Panasonic TX-P42GT30B/ TX-P42GT30/ TX-P50GT30B (GT30) Review

Their review is more in terms of what we expect of the 2011 Panny series including black levels at 0.0057 ftl or 0.018cd/m2 blacker than other reviewsTR
Good fast phosphors, good black levels, excellent greyscale tracking and solid SD performance including other advantages. Floating blacks/whites still seem to be present to some extent though

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back