Speaker & Crossover Settings

Kowju's

Hello friends...

Please suggest to me the best Crossover setting...
(I don't want to end up with AVR heating issues or speaker problems... so please help me out)

Room Size 15x13 feet.
Screen to Seat area 12 feet.
Projector: Epson FullHD

AVR : Denon AVR-X2700H

Speakers:

Eight Audio Agate F26 (Front Right and Left Floor Stands)

Frequency response49 - 22000 Hz +/- 3db
Nominal impedance4Ω (minimum 3.1Ω)
Sensitivity90dB SPL
Recommended amplifier power30W - 200W

Eight Audio Agate C25 (Center)

Frequency response50 - 20000 Hz +/- 3db
Sensitivity91dB SPL
Recommended amplifier power40W - 100W

Eight Audio Agate ON17 On-Wall speakers

Frequency response60 - 22000 Hz +/- 3db
Sensitivity90dB SPL
Recommended amplifier power30W - 100W

Subwoofer:

2x Passive 12" Subwoofers with Assembled Power Amplifier.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
Hello friends...

(I don't want to end up with AVR heating issues or speaker problems... so please help me out)

Room Size 15x13 feet.

Speakers:

Sensitivity90dB SPL

Sensitivity91dB SPL

Sensitivity90dB SPL

Subwoofer:

Thanks a lot in advance.
Hi crossover all speakers to the sub at 80hz. And dont keep different crossovers for different speakers. Everything at 80hz works best. All the best :)

Hello friends...

Room Size 15x13 feet.

Speakers:

Sensitivity90dB SPL

Sensitivity91dB SPL

Sensitivity90dB SPL

Subwoofer:

Thanks a lot in advance.
Hi,

As you have Denon X2700, I would suggest you to buy Audyssey MultEQ App. Costs around 20 USD, but totally worth it.
Calibrate your system using that App. Check the frequency response and decide the crossover settings.
80Hz is a good starting point, but using the App you can decide accurately.

You can do a lot of stuff like turning off the mid range compensation, limiting correction frequency etc. using the app. It's avery valuable App for Denon, Marantz products.

Hi,

As you have Denon X2700, I would suggest you to buy Audyssey MultEQ App. Costs around 20 USD, but totally worth it.
Calibrate your system using that App. Check the frequency response and decide the crossover settings.
80Hz is a good starting point, but using the App you can decide accurately.

You can do a lot of stuff like turning off the mid range compensation, limiting correction frequency etc. using the app. It's avery valuable App for Denon, Marantz products.
Thank you friend.

He recommends 120hz for 4-ohm speakers
I can see that he recommends a higher crossover because the impedance will drop below 4 ohm as the bass goes lower. So he is suggesting to keep a higher crossover at 120hz, in order to prevent heavy power demands on the AVR, with 4 ohm or below loads. Actually makes sense.

You can give it a try if you can place the sub woofer as close to the center channel as possible. This will keep the sub between the front sound field and might just blend. Keeping the sub outside the triangle formed by the listeners head, and the front L&R speakers, at a crossover frequency above 80hz, will lead to bass localisation. That is you can hear the sub separate from the other speakers. So if you can keep your sub right below your center channel speaker, with the center channel speaker on a rack or something, you should be very fine.

I can see that he recommends a higher crossover because the impedance will drop below 4 ohm as the bass goes lower. So he is suggesting to keep a higher crossover at 120hz, in order to prevent heavy power demands on the AVR, with 4 ohm or below loads. Actually makes sense.

You can give it a try if you can place the sub woofer as close to the center channel as possible. This will keep the sub between the front sound field and might just blend. Keeping the sub outside the triangle formed by the listeners head, and the front L&R speakers, at a crossover frequency above 80hz, will lead to bass localisation. That is you can hear the sub separate from the other speakers. So if you can keep your sub right below your center channel speaker, with the center channel speaker on a rack or something, you should be very fine.
Yeah, I have space issues, so am planning to place the subwoofers (sealed) one after one and keep the center channel speaker in between subs like in the image.

If, I kept 120Hz for speakers! then how much frequency should I keep for the subwoofer?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    216.3 KB · Views: 15
how much frequency should I keep for the subwoofer?
You don’t - that’s where the bass management on the AVR comes in. The AVR routes the frequencies below the crossover you have selected to the subwoofer. Do ensure that you have turned off the LF filter on the sub by keeping it at the maximum (a little confusing, yes).

At 120 Hz, from my experience, the sub starts to get directional. My AVR crossover setting is at 80 Hz.

You don’t - that’s where the bass management on the AVR comes in. The AVR routes the frequencies below the crossover you have selected to the subwoofer. Do ensure that you have turned off the LF filter on the sub by keeping it at the maximum (a little confusing, yes).

At 120 Hz, from my experience, the sub starts to get directional. My AVR crossover setting is at 80 Hz.
They are passive 12" subs with assembled power amplifier.

There are 2 ways to reduce heating issue of Denon 2700.
Either set AVR impedance to 4 ohm or turn Echo mode on.

Plz Explain briefly...
1. Connect the subwoofer out from your AVR to the left Line In of your power amp.
2. Set all the crossover frequencies of all speakers to 80 Hz on the AVR (or 60 Hz, or the one that sounds good for you. I wouldn’t go lower unless I have powerful speakers with good LF extension).
3. On the power amp, turn the low frequency filter knob all the way up to the maximum (with this you are turning off the bass management on your power amp and letting the AVR do it instead.)

1. Connect the subwoofer out from your AVR to the left Line In of your power amp.
2. Set all the crossover frequencies of all speakers to 80 Hz on the AVR (or 60 Hz, or the one that sounds good for you. I wouldn’t go lower unless I have powerful speakers with good LF extension).
3. On the power amp, turn the low frequency filter knob all the way up to the maximum (with this you are turning off the bass management on your power amp and letting the AVR do it instead.)
I am.having ascendo sv12 sub. With klipsch reference speakers. Land R are 620f floor standers. Avr is Marantz 50. Shall I put Low pass filter at 80Hz for subwoofer. Need advice

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back