Subwoofer choice 🤔

Raja.chn

I am split between choices of subwoofer : Bic America PL200 and SVS PB1000 pro . Of course other than the $$ , where SVS is double of bic , can I enjoy bic for few years and upgrade to SVS later ( or pull together and get SVS )
It will be my first subwoofer buy !!
Current setup : Denon 1800 with Dali Oberon 5 FS

Music and movie both 50% ( weekdays only music and weekends couple of Apple TV+ and Netflix )

I am ok with decent bass which is not overwhelming the FS and rather complimenting them

I am split between choices of subwoofer : Bic America PL200 and SVS PB1000 pro . Of course other than the $$ , where SVS is double of bic , can I enjoy bic for few years and upgrade to SVS later ( or pull together and get SVS )
It will be my first subwoofer buy !!
Current setup : Denon 1800 with Dali Oberon 5 FS

Music and movie both 50% ( weekdays only music and weekends couple of Apple TV+ and Netflix )

I am ok with decent bass which is not overwhelming the FS and rather complimenting them
If your room size is small to medium, rythmik L12 is a good choice for 50/50 movies/music

There are over a dozen different quality sub woofer manufacturers that sit between BIC and SVS. If you can't afford an SVS, there are several alternatives like Polk Audio, PSB, JBL that give me far more confidence when it comes to affordable speaker systems. BIC ain't one of them. Look around and you will be surprised by what you find.

For your room size if you need more punch in bass then consider Subs like XTZ /SVS PB 2xx series / REL /Rhythmic etc, but that will cost more than 1 lakh. If you are on strict budget then Bic America PL200 or POLK HTS 12 sub would be good to go .
Later when you have budget you can upgrade to powerful subs.

+1 for Klipsch
Klipsch subs perform decently, at a lower cost.
i know it’s greedy to expect 20hz response from a less than 50000 inr subs , but heard from one of my friend that bic does go well below 20 hz ( ofcourse not flat ) . What am looking is to get the best bang for the rupee spent .

i know it’s greedy to expect 20hz response from a less than 50000 inr subs , but heard from one of my friend that bic does go well below 20 hz ( ofcourse not flat ) . What am looking is to get the best bang for the rupee spent .
Please don't focus on 20 Hz at this budget. It takes a lot of engineering and cost to make a sub-producing 20 hz as it should be. It is Better to get a sub that covers 30hz to 100 hz decently. You will be pleased with average power below 20hz and very good above 30 hz compared to moderate performance in the 20 hz range and still not so good above 30hz. At this budget, designers have only two choices. sacrifice bass extension and make a sub with good mid and upper bass authority or make the sub moderate in lower bass by sacrificing punch in mid bass region. Low bass is mostly a marketing material. I fell for this. I have a Bic pl 300. it neither satisfies low bass nor the mid bass.

If you have the budget of svs, then you should check out Ascando sv12. Doesn't sacrifice much midbass for low end extension. but doesn't go too low too.

I had a Klipsch 15 inch sub (SPL 150). While it lasted, the movies sounded good. If you are looking for a sub with smooth, tight response with both extension and attack at higher SPL, you need to increase your budget. I currently have a REL 1510, and while it’s great for mid-bass attack, it’s not so much when it comes to extension. But I prefer that response over extension.

Please don't focus on 20 Hz at this budget. It takes a lot of engineering and cost to make a sub-producing 20 hz as it should be. It is Better to get a sub that covers 30hz to 100 hz decently. You will be pleased with average power below 20hz and very good above 30 hz compared to moderate performance in the 20 hz range and still not so good above 30hz. At this budget, designers have only two choices. sacrifice bass extension and make a sub with good mid and upper bass authority or make the sub moderate in lower bass by sacrificing punch in mid bass region. Low bass is mostly a marketing material. I fell for this. I have a Bic pl 300. it neither satisfies low bass nor the mid bass.

If you have the budget of svs, then you should check out Ascando sv12. Doesn't sacrifice much midbass for low end extension. but doesn't go too low too.

20hz maybe a marketing trend but when we feel the bass but don’t hear it, certainly pushes the listening experience much higher . If budget needs to be stretched yes I am contemplating that ( buy once / cry once 🥹 )

20hz maybe a marketing trend but when we feel the bass but don’t hear it, certainly pushes the listening experience much higher . If budget needs to be stretched yes I am contemplating that ( buy once / cry once 🥹 )
What is the maximum you are willing to stretch?

Ok then you can check with rythmik lv12M. Has good extension till 19 which will be great for movies and decent performance in the upper and mid region for music. Also you can be patient and keep an eye on classified section. You will get great subs for this budget

You need to audition in person and decide. What sounds good to me and better may not be the case for you. Listening is very subjective. I have changed 4 brands of Subwoofers / Models to finally settle for SVS Sealed SB1000 which comes with 5 years warranty.

As already mentioned, there is a PB1000 on sale in Classifieds, why not explore that?

You need to audition in person and decide. What sounds good to me and better may not be the case for you. Listening is very subjective. I have changed 4 brands of Subwoofers / Models to finally settle for SVS Sealed SB1000 which comes with 5 years warranty.

As already mentioned, there is a PB1000 on sale in Classifieds, why not explore that?

Ok then you can check with rythmik lv12M. Has good extension till 19 which will be great for movies and decent performance in the upper and mid region for music. Also you can be patient and keep an eye on classified section. You will get great subs for this budget
Sure will wait for rythmik LV12 . Mods pls do help to reach for any potential seller 🙏

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back