Subwoofer - Choosing the right size

Narasimhan_M

Forum members,

Need your suggestions.

I upgraded my home theatre from Polk TL 1600 to the signature series. During the upgrade, I retained the 8" subwoofer of TL1600.

The system is installed in a 16x12 room and subwoofer will be placed in the corner.

I am inclined towards buying the Polk HTS series subwoofer and need your recommendation on the right size. HTS comes with a 10" and 12" driver.

Please pass on your recommendations.

For the room size 12" would be ideal with minimum 300Watts RMS. Not just driver size but check for amp quality also which can go deeper around 21hz.

Here is my 2 cents..I presume you are planning for dual subs

In most circumstances identical dual subs will outperform different dual subs, specially if driver size is a mismatch (dosent matter even if same brand). Integrating two subs with 2 different driver size will be a challenge, more so if your AVR has only one sub out.

I would rather get the same sub and integrate it to the system....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up buying POLK HTS 12. Will share a review shortly.

Congrats...it is a nice sub...heard it for the WhatHifi show 2 years back when it was newly launched. Nice clean deep bass....nice port technology. Only challenge is that it stands taller than other subs....if the room is big enough...it will blend well....

Congrats...it is a nice sub...heard it for the WhatHifi show 2 years back when it was newly launched. Nice clean deep bass....nice port technology. Only challenge is that it stands taller than other subs....if the room is big enough...it will blend well....

As you rightly said, it's a huge sub from dimension perspective and I did not quite expect such a massive one.

The sub was shipped and received at the main hub in Chennai. Due to Pooja holidays, the courier guys informed that delivery is possible only after Wednesday and I was desperate to listen to it over the weekend.

Making up my mind, I traveled 40km to pick the package directly. All the signing was completed and 2 guys carried the package to my car and the carton was so big and it cannot be loaded in my car. Neither in the back seat nor in the boot. And I was like @#₹__&&@.

In the middle of the road, we unboxed the package, picked the sub and loaded in my backseat.

Back at my place, again I needed one more hand to make it to my home. The sub gave me enough workout and it's my time to return the favour.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back