Vinyl pressing labels like Waxtime, DOL and all.

Sushant Sharma

What's your view on these vinyl pressing from waxtime and related labels?
I bought a couple early on and have since stayed away from them. I see folks selling them at 3 to 4k and people buying them. Am I missing something?

Not advocating buying original pressings unless they are affordable ofcourse which they are only sometimes depending upon the record popularity etc. But I easily go for the 3rd, 5th or 8th pressing instead.

Last edited:
What's your view on these vinyl pressing from waxtime and related labels?
I bought a couple early on and have since stayed away from them. I see folks selling them at 3 to 4k and people buying them. Am I missing something?

Not advocating buying original pressings unless they are affordable ofcourse which they are only sometimes depending upon the record popularity etc. But I easily go for the 3rd, 5th or 8th pressing instead.
These are mostly East European labels that press digitally converted (not remastered) records of mainly classic jazz material, that has gone out of the 50 year copyright that ended in 1963. (The copyright rules have since been amended, but 1963 remains the cut-off point.) Most re-pressings are of titles that are pre-'63. Because the copyright rules do not apply to photographic art, most of these releases come with different cover images.

While most re-issues from major labels like Sony and Universal are also digitised, at least they use hi-res files created from the original master tapes. Labels like Waxtime, DOL, etc, do not have access to the OMT. Hence, the provenance of the music is doubtful - it could be a needle drop, an early CD, or even a cassette tape.

Best option is the boutique labels like Craft, Speakers Corner, Music Matters, Tone Poets,etc that use the OMT in an all-analogue chain. But they tend to be costly.

Me, I mainly stick to original analogue LPs, early pressings better but not deal breakers if later pre-digital reissues. :-)

These are mostly East European labels that press digitally converted (not remastered) records of mainly classic jazz material, that has gone out of the 50 year copyright that ended in 1963. (The copyright rules have since been amended, but 1963 remains the cut-off point.) Most re-pressings are of titles that are pre-'63. Because the copyright rules do not apply to photographic art, most of these releases come with different cover images.

While most re-issues from major labels like Sony and Universal are also digitised, at least they use hi-res files created from the original master tapes. Labels like Waxtime, DOL, etc, do not have access to the OMT. Hence, the provenance of the music is doubtful - it could be a needle drop, an early CD, or even a cassette tape.

Best option is the boutique labels like Craft, Speakers Corner, Music Matters, Tone Poets,etc that use the OMT in an all-analogue chain. But they tend to be costly.

Me, I mainly stick to original analogue LPs, early pressings better but not deal breakers if later pre-digital reissues. :)
@G401fan my thoughts too. Totally agree. Thanks. I wouldn't buy these at half price.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back