Which amp to choose ?

Amarendra

Hi,

I am intending to provide some extra power to my KEF LS50 Meta and / add a more price commensurate amp. I had the following in mind but confused about the direction to take:

1. Add a power amp such as the Emotiva BasX A2- 2 channel power amp providing 200W+ @ 4ohm. This will allow me to keep the Rotel RA 10 as pre amp and use the BasX as power amp. Price : INR 80-85k

2. Add a cheap power amp but provide truck loads of power- Crown XLS 1002 or similar- cheaper @ INR 30-40k but problem is the conversion from Analog to Digital and back to Analog @ 48khz. DAC becomes irrelevant in this I guess.

3. Go a different route and look at the Willsenton R8- add a different flavor not necessarily more power. Price ~ INR 110k+. Much glowing reviews on youtube plus on this forum (Amrut). Not going after power in this opton but quality.

Any other suggestions- most happy to hear.

My current amp- the Rotel RA10 has about 40W pc @8 ohms so assuming ~ 60W at 4 ohms. I have no issues with the Rotel and it has been praised by Darko for its synergy with the KEF LS50. I have not found it underpowered either but people point out to inadequate dynamics given that the KEFs could need more power. Hence the hunt.

Thanks for reading.

Improving macrodynamics usually comes at the cost of reducing microdynamics, within a given price range. Be sure where’s your optimum.

A couple of times that I tried higher powered amps, even priced a bit higher than my Audiolab, I sensed the above phenomenon and decided to stay with AL which provides the optimum (along with my speakers) for the genres I mostly listen to.

Hi,

I am intending to provide some extra power to my KEF LS50 Meta and / add a more price commensurate amp. I had the following in mind but confused about the direction to take:

1. Add a power amp such as the Emotiva BasX A2- 2 channel power amp providing 200W+ @ 4ohm. This will allow me to keep the Rotel RA 10 as pre amp and use the BasX as power amp. Price : INR 80-85k

2. Add a cheap power amp but provide truck loads of power- Crown XLS 1002 or similar- cheaper @ INR 30-40k but problem is the conversion from Analog to Digital and back to Analog @ 48khz. DAC becomes irrelevant in this I guess.

3. Go a different route and look at the Willsenton R8- add a different flavor not necessarily more power. Price ~ INR 110k+. Much glowing reviews on youtube plus on this forum (Amrut). Not going after power in this opton but quality.

Any other suggestions- most happy to hear.

My current amp- the Rotel RA10 has about 40W pc @8 ohms so assuming ~ 60W at 4 ohms. I have no issues with the Rotel and it has been praised by Darko for its synergy with the KEF LS50. I have not found it underpowered either but people point out to inadequate dynamics given that the KEFs could need more power. Hence the hunt.

Thanks for reading.
If you are happy with it, would not touch the amp/speaker at this point. I would suggest upgrading your DAC instead and you might see a lrger benefit.

If diyed power amp interests you , do check Aniket power amps too.
I had reached out to Aniket some time back for his power amps and was supposed to audition it. But if I remember right, his amps are more expensive than the Emotiva/ Willsenton. I cannot comment on quality but I think an Emotiva/ Willsenton will be easier to re- sell considering all other factors being the same.

As already suggested, please consider upgrading you DAC. It would make a huge difference. 40W is not less. In fact my 30W SE Class A drive my LS35A pretty well. I have heard to an Emotive amp but didn't come out impressed. My Wilsenton R8 with EL34 tube has lovely mids. Kt88 tubes would give you massive dynamic punch. But unless you have a reasonably good DAC, it may not make a big difference. I can recommend a Chord Mojo2 as a first upgrade.

As already suggested, please consider upgrading you DAC. It would make a huge difference. 40W is not less. In fact my 30W SE Class A drive my LS35A pretty well. I have heard to an Emotive amp but didn't come out impressed. My Wilsenton R8 with EL34 tube has lovely mids. Kt88 tubes would give you massive dynamic punch. But unless you have a reasonably good DAC, it may not make a big difference. I can recommend a Chord Mojo2 as a first upgrade.
Does the mojo 2 make a noticeable difference over Audio Quest v1.2 or the Modi + ?

Since I could not decide on anything, I repurposed my Pioneer Lx302 AVR for stereo duties. It has 100W x 2 @8 ohms US rated. So assuming it will do at least 120-150 x2 at 4 ohms. Some noticeable differences with the KEFs. I now understand when people say having extra headroom on the amp for dynamics 😊

Added a Norge Power amp 1200 Pro. 125 watts per channel into 4 ohm. Sounding great in my set up.

Attachments

• 5DE2BEDA-7E5C-45EB-95CF-CE11FC15C660.jpeg
    5DE2BEDA-7E5C-45EB-95CF-CE11FC15C660.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 46
Is there any scope to place these on stands, if not do invest in some isoacoustic mini stands. IMO it should bring about a change in sound as good as any other upgrade you would do.

Any 1/2 decent 2 channel amp sounds better than an AVR
Not necessarily. I connected my Pioneer AVR with just 2 speakers in pure direct mode. The sound was very clear, big proper soundstage and loud muscular sound. Important is only 2 speakers connected, no Audyssey/YPAO and pure direct mode.

Is there any scope to place these on stands, if not do invest in some isoacoustic mini stands. IMO it should bring about a change in sound as good as any other upgrade you would do.
KEF supplies rubber feet for its LS50 speakers. They do provide some isolation- however can try separate table top stands. Any recommendations ?

Not necessarily. I connected my Pioneer AVR with just 2 speakers in pure direct mode. The sound was very clear, big proper soundstage and loud muscular sound. Important is only 2 speakers connected, no Audyssey/YPAO and pure direct mode.
That is more of a reflection of the quality of the 2 channel amp. AVRs even with pure direct are neither pure not direct.
I do have a pioneer AVR as well and a denon basic amp far outperforms it.

Any 1/2 decent 2 channel amp sounds better than an AVR
I had a different experience with 2 low/mid level integrated amps and an avr.
We had the Pioneer SA 740 and later a Kenwood KA 5050 integrated amps which was there for years.. Later on came a Marantz avr SR 8200. Although the speakers changed over the years, the Marantz avr's tone was very noticeably sweet sounding and powerful too and there was no room correction at that time with the Marantz. The other 2 integrated amps did have some listening fatigue.
The build quality of the Marantz was fantastic and still remember the writing on it's box "Because music matters" considering it was an avr. Offcourse my experience in listening to various amps is quite limited though.
The current mid level Marantz avr's don't seem to have the earlier build quality.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back