Wireless DAC Quality

music4mhell

Hello Professionals,

Let's imagine below 2 scenarios:

1. Playing FLAC from USB through DAC.
2. Playing FLAC from mobile through wireless/bluetooth DAC.

I know inside our mobile some processing happens while sending audio output through 3.5 mm jack, so it's advised to connect the digital media directly to DAC, e.g USB.

But if i play though wireless/bluetooth, does mobile process the audio and then sends to DAC or it behaves like USB connected to DAC.

Thanks in advance :)

Quality via Bluetooth will suffer when compared to wifi or USB. USB being most ideal and the best. But it will still be in digital format. Whether you use it or not should depend on your system. If its a high end system or a high end DAC then there will be an audible difference. If not you can go ahead.

If i have below scenario:

Input > DAC > Integrated Amp > 2 Floor standing Speakers.

Let's assume 3 inputs to DAC:

1. Through Aux cable from a mobile
  2. Through wifi over DAC
  3. Through USB connected to DAC

All have the same song with FLAC format.

Ceteris paribus (all other things are constant except the input), if we rank them on output quality in descending order (highest quality to lowest)

My assumption is:

1. Through USB connected to DAC
2. Through wifi over DAC
3. Through Aux cable from a mobile

but my question is, how much quality difference will be between 1. & 2. :)

your systems performance (or non performace) will depend on the weaker links in the whole setup. if your speakers and amp are very high end then there will be an audible difference between 1&2. if they are more entry level audiophile equipment, then there will be a negligible difference in quality. so it all depends on the rest of your setup and what its capabilites are. taking all of that out - there will be a little difference between 1&2. there will be a lot of difference if you use the 3rd option

Again it is each one to his own ears. But IMO difference will be negligible if you're using wifi. If its Bluetooth it can vary

You can check option like NuForce BTR100 Bluetooth Hub Receiver. It has a digital out. In that case, you are not restricted with the limited options of wireless DAC.

I suggest you check out the new Google Cromecast Audio. Reviews seem like good stuff. because it streams data from your phone, not through bluetooth

That's the reason i will buy Wireless DAC.

And about chromcast Audio, m also waiting desperately..

But there is no release date about this in India :(

So have to buy something else

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back