Wireless DAC Quality

But if you have optical/coaxial out in a DAC , you dont need another DAC,

Give the output to aan Gud AMP like Marantz PM6005 and your system is complete :)

If you use RCA, then obviously you will loose some quality..

So i was thing to use End to end full digital..

Like FLAC thru Wifi to DAC, then from DAC to AMP thru coax/ optical :)

Don't know but I am never satisfied by these wireless products found in the market these days.......most of the time the a/v quality is awful......

This has no optical or coaxial out :(

Why do you need to digitally take the audio out from the DAC? Do you want to feed it to another DAC? Whats the point of getting a DAC to relay to another DAC?
Do you really even need a DAC or some wireless Audio receiver?

Last edited:
RCA is what you want. (I think). RCA will carry the analog signal from the DAC to the AMP. Coax/Optical is generally used to carry digital signals to be fed in some other DAC.

RCA is what you want. (I think). RCA will carry the analog signal from the DAC to the AMP. Coax/Optical is generally used to carry digital signals to be fed in some other DAC.

Yes i got it..

I am just asking if i take the out from

1. RCA to AMP
2. CoAx/Optical to AMP

Is there any difference in quality or there will be no difference..?

So if i connect from DAC to AMP

1. RCA
2. Coax/Optical

There will be no difference in the quality ?

i think you are a little confused

music is stored in digital format on computer / cd. an amplifier plays it in analogue format and therefore requires input in analogue format. this is the reason we need a DAC (digital to analogue converter). music transferred over wifi / bluetooth / coaxial / optical / usb are all in digital format. and therefore it will be input into the dac. the dac will convert this digital input signal into analogue ready for the amplifier. rca is analogue format and therefore will be the output from dac into the amplifier

amplifiers that accept digital input (hdmi / usb etc) will have an inbuilt dac. as another example, cd players also have two sections. a transport (which reads digital format off the cd) and a dac (which will convert to analogue)

so there is no point having a digital output in a dac since its main function is to convert from digital to analogue

i think you are a little confused

music is stored in digital format on computer / cd. an amplifier plays it in analogue format and therefore requires input in analogue format. this is the reason we need a DAC (digital to analogue converter). music transferred over wifi / bluetooth / coaxial / optical / usb are all in digital format. and therefore it will be input into the dac. the dac will convert this digital input signal into analogue ready for the amplifier. rca is analogue format and therefore will be the output from dac into the amplifier

amplifiers that accept digital input (hdmi / usb etc) will have an inbuilt dac. as another example, cd players also have two sections. a transport (which reads digital format off the cd) and a dac (which will convert to analogue)

so there is no point having a digital output in a dac since its main function is to convert from digital to analogue

I got what are you saying, and i knew that already..

If i go by your logic, ,then Playing FLAC file thru Bluetooth or WIFI won't give any change in quality.

Which is not the case, playing thru wifi is almost equal to playing thru USB direct.

I got what are you saying, and i knew that already..

If i go by your logic, ,then Playing FLAC file thru Bluetooth or WIFI won't give any change in quality.

Which is not the case, playing thru wifi is almost equal to playing thru USB direct.

when music files are sent over bluetooth, they are compressed to some extent as the bandwidth is much less that wifi. therefore they lose quality

when music files are sent over bluetooth, they are compressed to some extent as the bandwidth is much less that wifi. therefore they lose quality

True, my 1st Question still remains the same.

If i connect the DAC output to AMP thru

1. RCA
2. Coax/Optical (May be i am a noob)

But will there be any difference in quality between connection 1 & 2 ?

Output from DAC is through rca. As stated in my earlier post coax / optical out is digital out and DAC will only have an analogue out. DACs do not have coax/optical (digital) out

Now a days many DACs have, like Nuforce or Widac both have digital out

If you are talking about usb-spdif converter yes there are DACs which does digital conversion from USB to spdif. I think that's not what you are looking at as you are looking at wifi DAC and its going to be a analog out DAC taking the digital input from wifi similar to USB (as I have not seen a wifi DAC which does digital to digital conversion). There are 2 options for you:

1. DAC which takes USB in and gives you analog out that you can directly connect to your amplifier via RCA pins.
2. USB-SPDIF converters which basically converts the digital from one source (USB) to another (spdif). But this can be connected only to an amp which has in-built DACs which can do SPDIF to analog conversion or another DAC which does the SPDIF to analog conversion and then to the amp via RCA pins.
So if you have a amp like Marantz 6005 which has USB in then their is no point in using another digital conversion (like usb-spdif).

If you dont want the DAC to process the digital audio, then you take the digital out. Analog out will always output "processed audio" which will be amplified by an amp. The digital out that you see in DACs these days is only there to chain it to another DAC, not to connect it to the analog input on an AMP.

If you dont want the DAC to process the digital audio, then you take the digital out. Analog out will always output "processed audio" which will be amplified by an amp. The digital out that you see in DACs these days is only there to chain it to another DAC, not to connect it to the analog input on an AMP.

I think you misunderstood my Q.

Lets assume this below scenario..

Amp is PM6005 which has digital input.

Now there is a DAC which has both output , ANALOG & DIGITAL..

If i take

1. Analog out from DAC to Analog in to PM6005
2. Digital out from DAC to Digital in to PM6005

Will i see any difference in the quality keeping everything else same ?

Yes. There will be a difference in the quality.
Scenario 1. Depends on the external DAC.
Scenario 2. Depends on the internal DAC on the PM6005. In this scenario your external DAC is just uselessly sitting there. You can just plug the source's digital output directly into the PM6005.

Yes. There will be a difference in the quality.
Scenario 1. Depends on the external DAC.
Scenario 2. Depends on the internal DAC on the PM6005. In this scenario your external DAC is just uselessly sitting there. You can just plug the source's digital output directly into the PM6005.

ha ha ha,

The primary use for DAC for me is to use on wireless (not bluetooth)

That's why i asked this Question.

Lets assume this below scenario..

Amp is PM6005 which has digital input.

Now there is a DAC which has both output , ANALOG & DIGITAL..

If i take

it will depend on the dac you are using. if you are using an entry level dac, then the marantz may sound better. if you want something better than the marantz, then you need to be spending in the range of 20-30k rupees on a dac. perhaps more. im guestimating here since i havent heard the marantz. if your budget for a dac is 10k, and you have the marantz which has digital input, dont waste your money on a dac. just use the marantz digital input direct from your source. you wont need a dac interface for this

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back