2011 Samsung Plasma 3D PS51D550

The cost of the letsbuy deal seems to have gone up to 71,250/- currently... You'll get the same price off Samsung dealers I think... Even flipkart has the same price (but don't mention free 3d glasses) - however, they don't deliver to my pincode in Mumbai...

I have two questions for this forum:
#1 might be a basic question but don't want to screw up my new TV:

1. Has anyone done the 10-point calibration unlock? If so, is it possible to go back to the original d550 panel type in case, I don't want to be stuck with random HDMI port mappings.

2. Has anyone else come across brightness pops? Any solutions to these?

Thanks in advance...

ice9: Curious to hear if turning off the eco sensor resolved the Sudden brigntness pop up issue. I have noticed the same issue especially while watching movies via USB. This is the only issue with my D550, and have heard others complain about it too. Otherwise it is a great product to own...

Thanks rshri for bringing it to my notice. I visited that page and followed it with going through many threads on avsforum. It seems to be a problem with plasma technology in general and Samsung plasmas in particular. On top of that, from what I read, Samsung seems to be the worst when it comes to honouring warranty for this problem.

Currently, I'm looking for a TV to be bought in May. I've zeroed in on Samsung 51D550. However, now I'm not sure which TV I'll buy. If the TV screen cracks and the manufacturer does not cover it in warranty, you are just left with a Rs. 62,000/- 51" mirror.

So this problem seems to be most common for plasmas. However there was a mention, in one of the threads, that LCDs (even with LED backlight) sometimes face the same problem.

Friends, please help me make decision. Is it true that this problem is not covered in warranty? Is there any way we can make sure that it gets covered (like some special warranty; insurance)?

All plasmas have a glass panel and prone to cracks. Before buying a set that afterwards ends up being a "Rs. 62,000 ~ Rs. 100,000 mirror" it will be better to check whether warranty covers this.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

All plasmas have a glass panel and prone to cracks. Before buying a set that afterwards ends up being a "Rs. 62,000 ~ Rs. 100,000 mirror" it will be better to check whether warranty covers this.
Its not covered by warranty. Basically there is no way to prove whether glass cracked "by itself" (which should be covered by warranty) or due to mishandling (which should not be covered by warranty).

Its not covered by warranty. Basically there is no way to prove whether glass cracked "by itself" (which should be covered by warranty) or due to mishandling (which should not be covered by warranty).

Hmm. True. Best is to wall mount and then if a mishap occurs, there will be some chance to prove that crack was not due to mishandling. At least not when no external damage is seen.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

Bought a 51D550 couple of weeks back and took a few pics and videos of my entire setup...the pics are uploaded in flickr, the album is a bit scrambled and span across 2 pages, so don't forget to check out page 2 where there are more images of the TV...the video will give you a fair idea of what I tried to achieve although it doesn't do justice to the humorousness aspect of the TV...

The pics:

Flickr: choke911's Photostream

The video:

My HTPC running XMBC - YouTube

Here's the full spec:

Specs:
-------

AMD Athlon II X4 635 Quad Core processor @ 2.90 GHz
6 GB (2 (Hyundai Electronics)+4 (Transcend Information)) 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM in Dual Channel Unganged Mode
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H Motherboard
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870 Graphics
1 TB Hitachi 7200rpm SATA HDD (Internal)
1 TB Western Digital My Book Essential 7200rpm SATA HDD (External)
160 GB Seagate Barracuda ATA HDD (Internal)
Pinnacle PCTV PCI 110i TV Tuner
Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Sound Card
Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 Speaker
Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU
Coolermater Storm Scout chassis
Antec Veris Multimedia Station Elite
Antec Veris Wireless remote
Lamptron FC5V2 Fan Control
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
Logitech DiNovo Mini Wireless Keyboard
Logitech Ultra-Flat Keyboard
Dell UltraSharp 23" U2311H IPS TFT
Samsung 51" PS51D550 plasma
Samsung Active 3D glasses

Game Controllers
------------------

Logitech MOMO Racing Force Feedback Wheel
2 x Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller

Cooling:
---------

Cooling Type: Air Cooled

CPU: Stock
RAM: Arctic Cooling RC Ram Cooler
GPU: Stock
Chipset: Stock
Cabinet: Front - 140mm Fan X1, Top - 120mm Fan X1, Rear - 120mm Fan X1, Side - 120mm Fan X2

I have two questions for this forum:
#1 might be a basic question but don't want to screw up my new TV:

1. Has anyone done the 10-point calibration unlock? If so, is it possible to go back to the original d550 panel type in case, I don't want to be stuck with random HDMI port mappings.

I've done the 10-point calibration unlock and it made a difference on my set, although ymmv. You can't go back to the original D550 panel type without losing the 10-point calibration.

Hello guys,
I m new here and need some help on buying either 51D550 or 51E550 ASAP,
i have made up my mind but am unable to find stock in Hyderabad, if someone can hook me up with some dealer who can get me a good price for 51D550 preferably it would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Hello guys,
I m new here and need some help on buying either 51D550 or 51E550 ASAP,
i have made up my mind but am unable to find stock in Hyderabad, if someone can hook me up with some dealer who can get me a good price for 51D550 preferably it would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Alright guys, i have lost my patience calling samsung and writing emails about firmware update.
How can we make samsung release the latest firmware update for the PS51D550 model. Is there anybody with ideas here to get this done?

samsung Uk has released another update taking the latest update to version 1028 whereas the Indian version is still on firmware 1021.

firmware 1024 for this TV fixes the digital noise filter issue and the brightness cap issue but that never came for india.

UK firmware link:
Support for PS51D550C1K

Indian firmware Link:
Support for PS51D550C1R

Looking for PS51D550 model with dead panel. Interested only in circuit boards & body. If anyone is willing to sell can pm me.

My plasma tv PS51D550 stopped working a week back. The TV was running alright and suddenly it just went dark. The sound is coming but there is no picture. Had bought the same in 2012. When I contacted samsung CC their engineer came, checked and tole me it will cost me 30K to replace the display panel. Any member has any suggestions for any other solutions......boo hoo hoo..... :sad:

My plasma tv PS51D550 stopped working a week back. The TV was running alright and suddenly it just went dark. The sound is coming but there is no picture. Had bought the same in 2012. When I contacted samsung CC their engineer came, checked and tole me it will cost me 30K to replace the display panel. Any member has any suggestions for any other solutions......boo hoo hoo..... :sad:

Check with the technician what is the actual problem and let me know can help u possibly. PM me for details

Nikhil

PS51D550 panel short, got it reviewed by technicians who said panel will need repair though rest of the parts including boards are working perfectly. Didn’t have the patience for repair so I already went ahead and bought another set so will sell this entire unit for spares. Local Mumbai pickup only. DM if interested.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back