Amplifiers for Cadence Speakers

Curious..could the same be said of ARCA... I would imagine the heavy built of same has something to do with addressing this (lag) aspect... I understand it weighs 90kilos each..

@prem
@RRR

Last edited:
Always great to read and learn from experienced members like Prem when they comment on audio gear . Didn't know that the bass panels in the electrostats lagged. So what worked for me might not probably work in your case.

Curious..could the same be said of ARCA... I would imagine the heavy built of same has something to do with addressing this (lag) aspect... I understand it weighs 90kilos each..

@prem
@RRR
Never did hear the Arca but someone whose ears I trust a lot told me the bass is ponderous.

An extended listening session at the Cadence factory with the following chain:
Cadence passive pre >> Cadence Canasya >> Cadence ES (the first ever Cadence speaker model before Amaya) = bliss.

We played all sorts of music and it played them all with great aplomb, but it needs a very large room for the panels to integrate with the woofers. Else the bass will lag. It ate a $20K speaker raw;)

The speakers were carefully placed by maestro Mr Khushrau Jilla.

IIRC, @IndianEars was there too for the session.

@jenson A quick reality check - recently my friend @rikhav went to the factory to replace the ES panels and was told that the teflon panels are no longer available. Limited stock of the original panels are available. The original panels have a known, limited life. Do you want to go down that route?

Interesting jls001. When you say Cadence ES, you mean a model they never released? Was it a full ES panel like the Quads? I didn’t even know that a Cadence Pre existed.

I’ve been using Cadence Avitas with their VA 1.0 HP amp for almost two decades now, and I love it.

There are some limitations on loudness levels, given the 86 dB sensitivity, and 36 wpc, but if you don’t listen at head banging levels, that’s not a problem. In my medium size room, I rarely need to go beyond 11 o’clock on the volume knob, for it to be satisfyingly loud. The Arista at 88 dB, would be an easier drive.

Listen to all genres of music, a lot of rock, and still a happy camper.

The theory of relative driver speed, however valid, does not bother me. It applies to dome tweeters too, more so when they’re made with exotic materials, like beryllium, titanium or diamond.. Most manufacturers,
Cadence included, deal with it by mounting the drivers in different planes. In real life listening to music it just does not manifest itself significantly enough to merit distraction. To me, at least.

@prem
@RRR
The build and weight of the cabinet does not contribute much to the integration of the drivers.
Have not heard the Arca so cannot comment on it.
The integration is more to do with the dispersion characteristics of the electrostat panel, the mounting of the bass driver, the shape of the cabinet and the crossover used.
As pointed out rightly by Jls001 above, you need a large room for the panel to integrate with that 10 inch driver due to the dispersion characteristics of the panel.

i just wrote to Viren and he gave a pretty good explanation which has kinda put things in perspective...Cadence would need minimum 50 watts of amplification...and the gentleman that he is, was candid in saying his products may not suffice that need and that his products are primarily aimed at high sensitivity speakers which brings out the best in SET amplification...

in this respect, VA 1 would be a fit if only played at moderate levels. Canasya would be an ideal fit. what I was pondering on is, there is very little information around Cadence speaker users applying any other source for amplification other than Cadence amps and or tube amplification of other companies......my gut feel is that a high powered Class A would be worth pairing with as well...but then most Class A amps are challenged on power too....any angle on this?

I definitely do not have exposure to high end equipment and also much less in terms of experience in this hobby compared to many FMs here so you can take my opinion with a pinch of salt. But to me bass definitely much better on Avitas compared to many other speakers I heard. It is also tight and fast, did not feel it out of sync with Highs/mids.

Also this is the first speaker on which I could clearly see impact of change in amp. The change in bass impact when I switched KT88 with KT90 was first time I could experience with 100% certainty. For me, it was best of both worlds, the highs and mids were delicately smooth with beautiful 3D imaging with bass that is so energetic and thoroughly enjoyable.

In fact, I even posted a 'Wanted' thread for bookshelf speakers Cadence Arita mainly because of the signature of bass driver

@jenson A quick reality check - recently my friend @rikhav went to the factory to replace the ES panels and was told that the teflon panels are no longer available. Limited stock of the original panels are available. The original panels have a known, limited life. Do you want to go down that route?

Hi jls001, cadence has long discontinued their speaker line...which is unfortunate. however, Amba has assured of servicing the panels, it comes with a cost of course...but my personal experience has been that it didn't really need refoiling if taken care of, even after I sold my aristas, the buyer didn't need to. i also spoke to someone who has the ARCA for nearly 5 years, its in top shape...and this unit I did demo...it was everything that Cadence did well.

mine is a case where I'm going back to Cadence as you already know....journey in audio has been such that taste have been more or less formed, with very little advancement in budget :) so while I wish I could get DeVores or Sterlings or Spendors classic line... budget doesn't allow...with the budget and my preference of sound signature I have, are their options available...?

Mr. Amba specifically told me the older aluminium panels won't last more then a year, worst case few months more in Mumbai High humidity weather unless you can keep AC on whole day.

i think we are digressing from the topic of Amplifiers for Cadence speakers..myself included in #31.

some brainstorming on amplification please...i do believe smart choice in amplification would be the answer to cadence...it is about driving that woofer effortlessly..

rest, as all know, yes, cadence does come with its own set of risks...but at certain price point, it's worth it as there is simply no way to get a better match.

When you say Cadence ES, you mean a model they never released? Was it a full ES panel like the Quads? I didn’t even know that a Cadence Pre existed.
Was released. Just before the more famous Amaya.

It is the usual Cadence. ES panel on top and 11 inch woofer. The Amaya is a modified ES. The Amaya front baffle is sloped whereas ES is a regular rectangular/cuboid.

Is this where the Magic is ?
Partly, I would say, because the huge room was an important ingredient to the sound.

Mr. Amba specifically told me the older aluminium panels won't last more then a year, worst case few months more in Mumbai High humidity weather unless you can keep AC on whole day.
I have used Cadence Avitas for 10+ years in Mumbai weather in non AC and they never required any replacement, neither the foils were degraded to any of the extent degrading the sound.

I had tried many amps with the Avitas and found the VA01 to be a perfect match next in line was a Luxman. Amps tried were Rotel, Cosmic, Pulz, Harman Carden, Lyrita, Hiraga, Luxman, VA01 to name a few.

Partly, I would say, because the huge room was an important ingredient to the sound.
True

I have used Cadence Avitas for 10+ years in Mumbai weather in non AC and they never required any replacement, neither the foils were degraded to any of the extent degrading the sound.

I had tried many amps with the Avitas and found the VA01 to be a perfect match next in line was a Luxman. Amps tried were Rotel, Cosmic, Pulz, Harman Carden, Lyrita, Hiraga, Luxman, VA01 to name a few.
Interesting amps.. Which Luxman have you tried ?

Class A sound amazing but a 50W pure class A will consume around 450-500W and will be pretty Huge and IMHO an overkill. My guess for pure class A 25-30W is usually enough for most speakers (even moderately tough ones) unless it is a bias till 25-30W and above that as an AB.

Class A sound amazing but a 50W pure class A will consume around 450-500W and will be pretty Huge and IMHO an overkill. My guess for pure class A 25-30W is usually enough for most speakers (even moderately tough ones) unless it is a bias till 25-30W and above that as an AB.
Noted.

Do you think it maybe a decent match for cadence stable..

Any theories, around 36watts push pull el34 vs a class A solid state...i understand implementation Of latter would be the key...lets say something that Om did with f5 v2... I also understand aniket has his line of amps, too.. Pretty impressive to look :)

I guess, I'm in love with the imperfections (harmonics?) Of tube and am looking for same in a SS... The risk is, very few of us may have gone this route with cadence.... The confidence is in the fact that Cadence amps are hybrids too...perhaps it is doing a tube pre and SS output... I maybe wrong in exact Terminology...

@sachu888
@Santy
@omishra
@arj
@IndianEars

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back