Any avr's in class D ?

Nitin K

Class D implementation in integrated amps and subwoofers has become quite common.
Hence was wondering why it isn't being implemented widely in the case of avr's especially when there are many channels of amplification which lead to a lot of heating issues.
One can see a lot of advantages like reduced box size of the avr, more power and less heating. Plus costwise may be cheaper for the manufacturer and the benefit can be passed to the consumer too.
Can some knowledgeable person throw light on this. Thank you.

Last edited:
Class D implementation in integrated amps and subwoofers has become quite common.
Hence was wondering why it isn't being implemented widely in the case of avr's especially when there are many channels of amplification which lead to a lot of heating issues.
One can see a lot of advantages like reduced box size of the avr, more power and less heating. Plus costwise may be cheaper for the manufacturer and the benefit can be passed to the consumer too.

This one has the reduced box size as you expected. They claim that it delivers 600w power. There were some Pioneer AVRs from early 2010’s with Class D but back then Class D was not very good as how it is now. Probably failure rate of those older amp modules were not great. I think NAD has some class D AVRs now

Hopefully class D has evolved quite a bit and we can get to see more avr's rolled out in the future with meaningful prices.
Could not read the Canton specs completely since it was getting translated from German to Hindi.

Hopefully class D has evolved quite a bit and we can get to see more avr's rolled out in the future with meaningful prices.
Could not read the Canton specs completely since it was getting translated from German to Hindi.
The Marantz Amp10 is a 16 channel Class D power amp
The new Onkyo 2.1 AVR is class G, which they say gives much higher efficiency than pure class A/B as it uses dual supply rails, but as it’s class A/B you still get the ‘HiFi’ sound signature. I am considering getting one to replace my Marantz 5011 in my living room, which is driving two speakers

The Marantz Amp10 is a 16 channel Class D power amp
The new Onkyo 2.1 AVR is class G, which they say gives much higher efficiency than pure class A/B as it uses dual supply rails, but as it’s class A/B you still get the ‘HiFi’ sound signature. I am considering getting one to replace my Marantz 5011 in my living room, which is driving two speakers
Hopefully they would come out with a one box 5.1 or 7.2.4 solution with class D . As compared to an integrated the nit picking of sound also may not matter much in comparison as long as it sounds decent and delivers the goods.

Hopefully they would come out with a one box 5.1 or 7.2.4 solution with class D . As compared to an integrated the nit picking of sound also may not matter much in comparison as long as it sounds decent and delivers the goods.
I got the TX-8470, Class G amp. Huge upgrade to the Marantz 5011 it replaced. Much more dynamic, better imaging, excellent mid range presentation and much more controlled bass

I got the TX-8470, Class G amp. Huge upgrade to the Marantz 5011 it replaced. Much more dynamic, better imaging, excellent mid range presentation and much more controlled bass
Arcam have come out with class G & have got nice reviews. But Arcam though is quite expensive. Was not aware of Onkyo though.

Pioneer AVRs have class D amplification
Really nice to hear that the mainstream avr's are going class D. Hoping the prices too will reduce as compared to class AB.

Not any more - I have their latest LX-505 and it’s Class AB
Oh, ok. Thanks
I had checked yesterday on the net to confirm. Didn't realise the Kripa/KEI site is showing older models. With prices and "Buy" tab too.
So assumed they were available.
LX-901, LX-701, LX-503
Class D3
Clicked on each "Buy" tab only now and then they say they are out of stock.

I have a pioneer lx57 11channels of class D from 2013. I dint know what heating issue people were talking abouy until now after buying denon 4800.
The amp in pioneer lx57 is OUTSTANDING to say the least. I think manufacturers are planning to hype the price of class D built amps in the future.
Alternatively now we have crown xls series which easily beats my pioneer lx57 inbuilt amp at a relatively cheaper price now. People are ignorant of what this crown xls is offering and lack of back to back auditioning is working against such options.
I was carried away and ordered anthem mca325 (10times the crown cost). Anyway anthem is no bad, but the technological advancements in class D amps makes crown xls shine. And to save these already manufactured and stocked dealers to save their interest would always speak against crown and class D

I have a pioneer lx57 11channels of class D from 2013. I dint know what heating issue people were talking abouy until now after buying denon 4800.
The amp in pioneer lx57 is OUTSTANDING to say the least. I think manufacturers are planning to hype the price of class D built amps in the future.
Alternatively now we have crown xls series which easily beats my pioneer lx57 inbuilt amp at a relatively cheaper price now. People are ignorant of what this crown xls is offering and lack of back to back auditioning is working against such options.
I was carried away and ordered anthem mca325 (10times the crown cost). Anyway anthem is no bad, but the technological advancements in class D amps makes crown xls shine. And to save these already manufactured and stocked dealers to save their interest would always speak against crown and class D
Nice to hear that you are happy with crown and that's all that matters.
Let's hope that more class D avr's are made in future and are priced at sane levels to make them a viable option. Heating is generally a big issues in class AB avr's.

Oh, ok. Thanks
I had checked yesterday on the net to confirm. Didn't realise the Kripa/KEI site is showing older models. With prices and "Buy" tab too.
So assumed they were available.
LX-901, LX-701, LX-503
Class D3
Clicked on each "Buy" tab only now and then they say they are out of stock.
KEI hasn’t been distributing Pioneer for a few years - https://www.pioneerhomeindia.com/ this is the new website

Nice to hear that you are happy with crown and that's all that matters.
Let's hope that more class D avr's are made in future and are priced at sane levels to make them a viable option. Heating is generally a big issues in class AB avr's.
The new JBL AVRs are class D - pricing looks a bit high though, 2 lakhs for their 7 channel and 2.5 lakhs for the 9 channel amp with 9 channel processing

The new JBL AVRs are class D - pricing looks a bit high though, 2 lakhs for their 7 channel and 2.5 lakhs for the 9 channel amp with 9 channel processing
That's quite high considering you will get class AB at a much lower price for the same.

My 11 year old LX57 is also going strong. Love it

KEI hasn’t been distributing Pioneer for a few years - https://www.pioneerhomeindia.com/ this is the new website
Just shows how outdated I am :rolleyes:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back