Confused atma from Kolkata seeking all your help

Souvick Biswas

Hi. Just joined here. Excited. Confused too. Have 20k. Can stretch a little. Room size 15*12. Need a 5.1. what to buy? Any offline store in Kolkata? Else from online. Little bit worried about service centre after warranty period. Pls help. Sorry for my bad english

Welcome to HFV. You need to stretch your budget, so that you can have a 5.1 HTiB package, if your primary usage is movies. Check HT packages from Yamaha, Onkyo etc. And stay away from brands like sony, Samsung etc, which are not future proof. I suggest you not to hurry to buy. Think and decide before you buy.

Excited. Confused too. Have 20k. Can stretch a little. Room size 15*12. Need a 5.1. what to buy?

20K and a 5.1, they just don't match.. You may get a Sony / Samsung HTIB sets in that budget, but that will soon kill your excitement..

An used AVR + 3.0 (Left, center & right) is potentially possible in your budget.. Taking used route is the way to go when on budget constraint.. It has some advantages too.. 1) Price..Picking an used AVR from FM, you can be rest assured it has been well handled..

For speakers - 3.0 set-up - Look at Taga Harmony TAV series on ebay.in.. A pair of TAV 806S (Left & right) + single 806c (center).. This way you will complete AVR + 3.0 set-up..

As & when you accumulate budget, add the missing speakers (surrounds & subwoofer) for a great HT experience..

Thanks elangoas. What will be the minimum budget for a brand new great ht experience? What will be my options of products then?

What will be the minimum budget for a brand new great ht experience?

Approx 65K +/- for an AVR + 5.1 set-up..

What will be my options of products then?

Pioneer VSX 531 AVR (28K) + Taga inmove 5.0 speakers (25K) + Taga active subwoofer for 18K..There are few more options, but this would be the best & least expensive set-up for that budget..

IMO, you are better off to begin with used AVR route and progressively build your HT set-up.. At some point you will have options to upgrade to Dolby Atmos capable AVRs for even better HT experience..

Is taga sound quality better than Yamaha onkyo or other brand??

Not a right comparison.. It may not be radically different, but would sound similar (or) better than other brands at that price point..

How is onkyo SKS-HT540B in 55000/?

This is a 7.1 Home Theater In a Box (HTIB) speaker package that is sold separately..The suggested Taga 5.0 speaker package is not a HTIB model & should be better offering than Onkyo..

I completely agree with Kumar. If music is the primary application then no need to worry about HT in the beginning. I would suggest spending 70-80% of the budget on the speakers which is really quintessential for getting a great sound from either a 2 channel or a multi channel system. All other electronics could be purchased incrementally after you get the speaker choice correct. You can talk to Prem in Symphony- Calcutta and he would guide you through the process.
Thanks.

I completely agree with Kumar. If music is the primary application then no need to worry about HT in the beginning. I would suggest spending 70-80% of the budget on the speakers which is really quintessential for getting a great sound from either a 2 channel or a multi channel system. All other electronics could be purchased incrementally after you get the speaker choice correct. You can talk to Prem in Symphony- Calcutta and he would guide you through the process.
Thanks.
Thanks Indranil.... Actually my prime objective is listening music with great sound quality... My knowledge is little so I think it would be better to hear in 5.1 than 2.1. That's all. Can u provide me the contact number of Prem?

Souvick- If music is your preference then a 2 channel system in my opinion would be a better option. Besides, there are very few media available which have multi channel music. Prem's contact no is 91 98304 57555.
Thanks.

Stop and let out the absolute highest you can spend :D, that is the very first step. Accordingly I would recommend getting a stereo system and not 5.1, since music is your priority. Do note that a stereo setup is your partner for life, there is no going back once you have experienced quality stereo, so spend wisely. There are plenty of quality audio shops in Kolkata now, you can check those out for some demos.
BTW, where in Kolkata are you?

Stop and let out the absolute highest you can spend :D, that is the very first step. Accordingly I would recommend getting a stereo system and not 5.1, since music is your priority. Do note that a stereo setup is your partner for life, there is no going back once you have experienced quality stereo, so spend wisely. There are plenty of quality audio shops in Kolkata now, you can check those out for some demos.
BTW, where in Kolkata are you?
From Barasat mate. Pls suggest some audio shop and some model. Thanks

Souvick- I already gave you the tel no of Prem, the owner of the store Symphony. Start with him and I am sure other members will help you with few other high-end audio store names in Cal. For brands it's good to have a few recommendations but the most important factor in this selection process is to do the audition test by yourself. Get your speakers first and get that correct....

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back