Group Buy: Mauro Penasa MyRef Rev C kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am disappointed to find the person who spoke to me so well and seemed to be willing to help me out of way was selling FAKES :sad: I will give him a skip :indifferent14:

I haven't seen the caps you're talking about, so I'm not saying that they *are* fakes, just a possibility. Most of the quality 10,000uF/50V and above caps that I've seen are 35mm or higher, but there are a few 30mm caps with similar specs, so it's not conclusive.

35mm is the largest diameter PSU cap that will fit on a RevC 1.3/1.4 board, as mentioned.

Hi all,

I have one kit lying spare with me, no time to DIY so may put up for sale shortly.

N.Murali

Got the kit from linuxguru some weeks back and I went to market last Saturday to buy parts.

I ended up complete blank on toroidal transformer 24-0-24V, 230ish VA. I got only the usual EI type and it was really bulky for the 5A rating.

I also came up blank on cabinet.

Any pointers where I can get good toroidal transformer (say Marvel or equivalent) and a workable cabinet in Lamington Road? or anywhere else in Mumbai?

I did come back with some stuff:
1. RCA cab mount type Female one pair (Toyo make)
2. Binding post 2 pairs - some el cheapo local brand, since this will be proof of concept. The only other option was a fancy Spectranet one with clear plastic jacket but it does not allow spade connection.
3. Screws for mounting the circuit boards (comes in pack of 100)
4. IEC socket for power with in-built fuse holder
5. On-Off switch (a bit unwieldy but looked sturdy)
6. Heat sinks 2 nos
7. Heat sink paste
8. Pot 50 KOhms, some no name brand. I got blank stares when I asked for ALPS so I didn't want to push my luck:)

Need to buy patching wires of various colours and screws. I think a 4-way tag block plus small lugs and shrink wrap jackets may contribute to the fanciness of point to point wires.

That mean's you are looking something like this ->

Chassis, Ask Magna from this forum about same.

Toroidal from Miracle, Bangalore.
BTW, I used at least 6 transformers from Miracle since 2005. and lately quality improved :clapping: though cost escalated 2 times:sad:. Ask them about price and availability.

I am waiting for time in December when I can finish all builds including this one.

That mean's you are looking something like this ->

Chassis, Ask Magna from this forum about same.

Toroidal from Miracle, Bangalore.

I am looking for a cheap cabinet for now. If the sound warrants it, I can fancify later.

Thanks for the link to Miracle. I wrote to them to ask for Mumbai dealer.

In the meantime, I think I will start populating the boards.
Joshua

I have bought from both Miracle and torotrans for my 2 gainclones. Both are good products but miracle is damn costly:

Here are the specs:

1. Miracle 22-0-22 220VA and 0-12 V 1 AMP secondary (Rs. 2600+1200 taxes n shipping = Rs 3800)

2. Torotrans 25-0-25 225VA secondary (Rs. 1250+250 taxes n shipping = Rs. 1600)

The ball is in your court to judge which one you want!

For the chassis buy the ones shown below from ebay coz I find the cases by magma quiet costly:

0f51459d_3.jpeg

0363274d_4.jpeg

http://www.8audio-mall.com/servlet/the-539/220x311x90mm-All-Aluminum-Case/Detail

They cost Rs 3000 with shipping and customs the cost is 5500 to 6000. I have two of these. Good quality stuff check mine!

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/21528-my-3886-gainclone-comes-life.html

If you are planning to buy from him even I may buy one more.

Do ask me if you need some more information.

Last edited:
Got the kit from linuxguru some weeks back and I went to market last Saturday to buy parts.

I ended up complete blank on toroidal transformer 24-0-24V, 230ish VA. I got only the usual EI type and it was really bulky for the 5A rating.

Any pointers where I can get good toroidal transformer (say Marvel or equivalent) and a workable cabinet in Lamington Road? or anywhere else in Mumbai?

2. Binding post 2 pairs - some el cheapo local brand, since this will be proof of concept. The only other option was a fancy Spectranet one with clear plastic jacket but it does not allow spade connection.
6. Heat sinks 2 nos
7. Heat sink paste
8. Pot 50 KOhms, some no name brand. I got blank stares when I asked for ALPS so I didn't want to push my luck:)

Need to buy patching wires of various colours and screws. I think a 4-way tag block plus small lugs and shrink wrap jackets may contribute to the fanciness of point to point wires.

For connectors etc, folks here have recommended
Champion rubber and spectra connectors both at lamington road, Mumbai.

For toroids, someone on diyaudio posted a company at
Goregaon - apparently supplies to Norge etc.
Owner's name is Dayanand and his company is Toroid Engineering. His contact nos are +91 22 28785770 / +91 9821125522.
[email protected]

IMG_0608.jpg

Parts in Mumbai (India) - Page 13 - diyAudio

6. Heat sinks 2 nos
7. Heat sink paste

Hi,
Some good budget enclosure options.
http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php?cat_id=1&group_id=2
Regards,
Sachin

Toroidal from Miracle, Bangalore

BTW, I used at least 6 transformers from Miracle since 2005. and lately quality improved :clapping: though cost escalated 2 times

miracle is damn costly:

Here are the specs:

1. Miracle 22-0-22 220VA and 0-12 V 1 AMP secondary (Rs. 2600+1200 taxes n shipping = Rs 3800)

2. Torotrans 25-0-25 225VA secondary (Rs. 1250+250 taxes n shipping = Rs. 1600)

@Audiodoc I wanted to post this but you've beaten me to it. Miracle charges double the money for I don't know what.:indifferent14:

linuxguru,
Still the kits available with all components? I am interested in a standard kit for a stereo amp. Let me know the details.

linuxguru,
Still the kits available with all components? I am interested in a standard kit for a stereo amp. Let me know the details.

I picked up the kit from Siva couple of weeks ago. He has all components except the LM3886 chip and PSU caps which is available in SP road.

@Audiodoc I wanted to post this but you've beaten me to it. Miracle charges double the money for I don't know what.:indifferent14:

What is the quality of iron used in the core with Miracle transformers? I am certain its not M4/M5 grade. They refused to answer my query via phone or email a few years back hence I rejected their product.

Then maybe they use a reasonable quality core but are too dumb to respond to customers or like all Indian companies believe that those who don't have a requirement in the 100s - single item buyers are not worth it.

--G0bble

For connectors etc, folks here have recommended
Champion rubber and spectra connectors both at lamington road, Mumbai.

For toroids, someone on diyaudio posted a company at
Goregaon - apparently supplies to Norge etc.
Owner's name is Dayanand and his company is Toroid Engineering. His contact nos are +91 22 28785770 / +91 9821125522.
[email protected]

@quad: thanks for the pointers.

I have been to Champion Rubber last Sat. They didn't have the things I was looking for.

I tried Toroid Engineers. The landline seems to have changed, and the mobile is switched off (could be Diwali effect). I wrote a mail to them. They are much closer for me than Lamington Road so I'd be real grateful if they sell one piece.
Joshua

For the chassis buy the ones shown below from ebay coz I find the cases by magma quiet costly:

0f51459d_3.jpeg

This one does look fancy :).

I have discussed with magma and we both concluded that his cabinet may be overkill for my purpose, so even he directed me to try out an el cheapo from Lamington Rd.

Joshua, take a look at the other pages of the "Parts in Mumbai"
thread from diyaudio (link in my previous post).
There is a lot of other useful stuff posted there, including
pointers to other local transformer vendors.

For the cabinet, see if you can find some scrap vintage amp. You
may be able to salvage other useful high-quality parts from it too, like
heatsinks, transformer etc.

Last edited:
Joshua,

There is one toroid maker in Chennai by the name, SV Tronics. I can get one made for you and send it across if needed. Let me know your specs and I'll try to get a quote from him.

For cabinets, best way is to source an el cheapo cabinet from Lamington Road. I've seen such cabinets at Richie street also; they sell from Rs. 350 onwards. Junk the face plate and get one made from Magma and you are done.

Regards

Rajesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back