Group Buy: Mauro Penasa MyRef Rev C kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
@borg .. MS canivals are very basic and does not capture the textures of instruments .

i have listened to the MyRef with Shreekath's BS speakers and it sounded amazingly detailed
and fast .

however the carnivals match with tripath 2020 , if u play at moderate volumes

i agree, now the onkyo 3300 is sounding almost same as the much expensive- gamma 2dac-myref c premium , carnival 6 combo

i have listened to the MyRef with Shreekath's BS speakers and it sounded amazingly detailed
and fast .

Yup, Shreekanth's rear-ported 2-way Bookshelves sound amazing with the MyRef Rev C - taut imaging and separation, coupled with deep soundstage.

Also very good were Viren Bakshi's one-off assembled cabinet for Capt.Rajesh's Kenwood 3-way drivers. The side-firing woofers ensure minimal interference with the mid-rangers that contribute to the full-bodied vocals and mids.

Fostex full-rangers also work well - Gobble's is a 6" full-ranger in a stiff Bass-Reflex cabinet, while Quad's is an 8" full-ranger in a Sachiko dual-ported floor-standing rectangular reflex enclosure.

In all cases, it requires suffcient cabinet volume and resonating air column mass to be able to discern the bass-texture that the MyRef is capable of displaying. Smaller cabinets (e.g. JBL LX2001 bookshelves) also work ok, but the timbre balance shifts a bit to the highs. That's fine, except certain tracks of screeching ABBA women become unlistenable.

Also very good were Viren Bakshi's one-off assembled cabinet for Capt.Rajesh's Kenwood 3-way drivers. The side-firing woofers ensure minimal interference with the mid-rangers that contribute to the full-bodied vocals and mids.

Oops, you have let the cat out of the bag.:o Those have since been packed off to my brother-in-law's place.

Those have since been packed off to my brother-in-law's place.

Your BIL is a lucky dude...

BTW, the same dealer near Ritchie St. from whom you bought the Luxman had a Carver amp in stock as of last week. I didn't have time then to audition it, and then went down with cough/sore-throat. Check it out if you have the time and inclination. I got my Marantz CD4000 (for modding) from the same guy.

Last edited:
Has someone tried these with 4 ohms speakers, at loud volume, full range. How much power do these have for 4 ohm loads. Do I need to go for a bigger trafo, caps and heat sinks.

Can these be bridged internally with bigger trafo to get more power.

I see references to 1.2, 1.3, 1.3 premium and 1.4. Is 1.4 being the latest also the best. What upgrades are there in the premium kit as compared to the normal one. Are just the components better or the pcb is also different. There is a change in the input cap to make basic kit better, are there any other strategic component changes that will improve 1.3 basic, instead of going straight to premium. Whats the highest voltage i can go for in the trafo, also the largest possible caps i can put in the o/p. Are there any pictures of the populated boards for basic and premium kits.

Does this come with the soft start circuit to avoid the loud thump sound at startup time.

What are some of the other equivalent amp designs out there without spending a fortune.

Has someone tried these with 4 ohms speakers, at loud volume, full range. How much power do these have for 4 ohm loads. Do I need to go for a bigger trafo, caps and heat sinks.

The MyRef was designed for 8 ohm loads and +/- 32V rails. If you want to go with 4 ohm loads, the rail voltages will need to be restricted to +/- 28V. Distortion will also be higher, and odd-harmonic.

Can these be bridged internally with bigger trafo to get more power.

Nope, bridging is infeasible.

I see references to 1.2, 1.3, 1.3 premium and 1.4. Is 1.4 being the latest also the best. What upgrades are there in the premium kit as compared to the normal one. Are just the components better or the pcb is also different. There is a change in the input cap to make basic kit better, are there any other strategic component changes that will improve 1.3 basic, instead of going straight to premium. Whats the highest voltage i can go for in the trafo, also the largest possible caps i can put in the o/p. Are there any pictures of the populated boards for basic and premium kits.

They all employ the same functional schematic. The differences are mainly in the size and shapes of some components. The premium kits have higher grade components at many locations (Wima polypropylenes, Nichicon Muse and Rubycon Black Gates, more tightly matched resistor sets, fast/soft rectifiers, better zeners, etc.)

You can go with a standard kit or a bare PCB set and self-source your components, but there will be some difficulty in sourcing premium film caps and electrolytics locally.

Does this come with the soft start circuit to avoid the loud thump sound at startup time.
What are some of the other equivalent amp designs out there without spending a fortune.

It has a DC protection relay which is also the soft-start - there's no turn-on thump, but there might be a slight turn-off thump in some situations.

There's no comparable chipamp design at any price point. If you go for fully discrete designs, a carefully-built Symasym is pretty good and can be made to sound almost as good as a MyRef, but it requires bias setting and offset adjustments which tend to drift with temperature and aging. A Symasym is more powerful though, and can easily go up to 75-100W per channel.

They all employ the same functional schematic. The differences are mainly in the size and shapes of some components. The premium kits have higher grade components at many locations (Wima polypropylenes, Nichicon Muse and Rubycon Black Gates, more tightly matched resistor sets, fast/soft rectifiers, better zeners, etc.)

You can go with a standard kit or a bare PCB set and self-source your components, but there will be some difficulty in sourcing premium film caps and electrolytics locally.

do you by any chance have a partlist or BOM for std and premium versions. will help me decide what parts i want from where.

Linuxguru

I am late entrant on this forum. Looking for LM3886 based amp.

Is your group buy for MyRef"C" with 10,000uF capacitor still available ?

Is the LM318 is soldered directly on the board or on adapter ?

Is the 12V required for LM318 is from different transformer than driving LM3886.

I Know the questions are noob but I am non engineer with interest in DIY audio

Thanks & Regards
Yatin

do you by any chance have a partlist or BOM for std and premium versions. will help me decide what parts i want from where.

I posted the premium BoM for V1.3 at diyaudio.com a while ago. It's not here on this PC right now, but if you e-mail me at [email protected], I can dig out a copy of the attachment from gmail and forward it to you.

The standard BoM uses pretty much the same-valued components, but in lower or commodity grades, e.g. Evox/Rifa instead of Wima, Panasonic instead of Nichicon/Rubycon, etc.

Is your group buy for MyRef"C" with 10,000uF capacitor still available ?

Is the LM318 is soldered directly on the board or on adapter ?

Is the 12V required for LM318 is from different transformer than driving LM3886.

Yes, the kit is still available, but without the 2x large PSU caps and the LM3886 chipamp. Everything else is included. The LM318 is plugged into a DIP-8 socket. The 12v for the LM318 is regulated and derived from the same power source that drives the LM3886, i.e. only a single trafo is required.

Thanks Siva

Any idea when LM chips are likely to receive ?

I can get Nichinon Electrolytic Caps 10,000uf / 71V can they be the substitute in tems of bass reponse?, I think they should snug fit on the board as they are 30mm in dia. But I am not sure of the quality and availability of LM chips.

Please let me know the price

Best Regards

Yatin

I can get Nichinon Electrolytic Caps 10,000uf / 71V can they be the substitute in tems of bass reponse?, I think they should snug fit on the board as they are 30mm in dia. But I am not sure of the quality and availability of LM chips.

Nichicon 10000/71 should most probably be 35 mm if authentic - check the cap markings and series very carefully. If possible, post a pic here.

LM3886TF can be fake - however, there are real ones available from time to time in Mumbai and B'lore.

Siva

I am disappointed to find the person who spoke to me so well and seemed to be willing to help me out of way was selling FAKES :sad: I will give him a skip :indifferent14:

Any idea when the full kit may be available with you ?

Thanks & Regards

Yatin

I am also interested in the amp as soon as all the components are available. I already have 4 10000mf capacitors 5 cm diameter from a previous 30-0-30 power supply i had built. Can you send me the list of components and the unavailable ones as well as the price and method of payment. Will see if I can can source them.

5 cm caps wont fit in the pcb iirc, need to be 35mm max, Linuxguru said above he has everything except the lm3886chip and power caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back