Hollywood Movies to look forward to : 2011 - 2012

The plot is not the most important part of a film in the case of stuff like action films but if the plot is weak, a lot of the times, it can fall apart. So while you don't need a very layered plot, a plot has to be there in my mind. I think you would agree and let's end it at that. :)

I think I already agreed to what you said, all I added was, though plot does hold its important, I feel a good director can bring out a worth flick even with a stale and repeated plot, with his own, execution and presentation.

127 Hours is releasing in India on January 28th BTW. That's the good thing which has happened because of Slumdog I guess. Now we will get Danny Boyle films in theatres!

BTW just though to add 127 Hours music score is done by our own A.R Rehman.

Coming to next addition.

8. Sucker Punch

suckerpunchbabydoll.jpg

PLOT :About a little girl who is trying to hide from the pain caused by her evil stepfather and lobotomy. She ends up in a mental institution and while there she starts to imagine an alternative reality. She plans to escape from that imaginary world but to do that she needs to steal five objects before she is caught by a vile man. The story is set in the 1950's.

Director : Zack Snyder

Release Date : 25 March 2011 (USA)

Personal Note : Does Zack Snyder ring any bells, ....300, watchmen... :). Next installment is Sucker Punch and, if you ask me, the trailer looks "fulltu" entertainment.

YouTube - Sucker Punch - Trailer HD

I am more director specific than actor specific.

You seem to like more action stars. Mark Walhberg is at the top of his game right now.

Though a Director is important, what we see are the actors. However good a Director is, if he uses a useless actor, he is going to get nowhere. Though, a good actor cannot act unless he is directed well, over time, they become capable of living any role you throw at them, many times without the Director's help.

Look at Sean Connery, for example. As a physically huge John Patrick Mason in The Rock to a completely intellectual William Forrester in Finding Forrester. If you compare what he did in these movies to the role he played in The Longest Day, you can understand how he has grown. I am not even counting his James Bond days.

Some of these actors have the unique capability to so hide in the character that, at the end of the day, you remember the character, and not the actor. Though Directors such as Cameron, Lean have their own place, they have to create a very large canvas to make their art felt. On the other hand, a good actor can make his presence felt even in a small canvas - just two characters in a small room with just dialogues such as Finding Forrester.

Cheers

Last edited:
This ain't the real poster...Just some edit made by a fan.. Look at the details at the bottom..

127 Hours released in Nov, 5-Nov if I am correct.

Hey Pratters - I requested info on one of the other threads - where did you see Black Swan? It's not released in India yet.

I would add...

7. The Dark Knight Rises

the_dark_knight_rises_wallpaper_1.jpg

Though a Director is important, what we see are the actors. However good a Director is, if he uses a useless actor, he is going to get nowhere. Though, a good actor cannot act unless he is directed well, over time, they become capable of living any role you throw at them, many times without the Director's help.

Look at Sean Connery, for example. As a physically huge John Patrick Mason in The Rock to a completely intellectual William Forrester in Finding Forrester. If you compare what he did in these movies to the role he played in The Longest Day, you can understand how he has grown. I am not even counting his James Bond days.

Some of these actors have the unique capability to so hide in the character that, at the end of the day, you remember the character, and not the actor. Though Directors such as Cameron, Lean have their own place, they have to create a very large canvas to make their art felt. On the other hand, a good actor can make his presence felt even in a small canvas - just two characters in a small room with just dialogues such as Finding Forrester.

Cheers

Fassbinder didn't need actors who brought the house down to make great films. Mira Nair took people from the Punjabi community and it worked. Most serious film goers watch movies according to directors and not actors mostly.

Next Installment ....

6. Super 8

super8movieposter2674x1.jpg

PLOT : In 1979 command of the Air Forces of the USA has made decision to close a part of the Zone 51. All materials should be evacuated in confidential laboratory in Ohio. But there was a train wreck, and all confidential materials were lost. Only one car has escaped. And something desperately tries to get out of it. The friend? The enemy? Who there? Something very big and very wild. Obviously not the person and not an animal.

Director : J.J. Abrams

Release Date : 10 June 2011 (USA)

Personal Note : J J Abrams, is a talented director, and I am sure his next installment would be worth a wait ...... The teaser looks chilling .... :)

Teaser ::

YouTube - Super 8 Movie Trailer 1080p HD EXCLUSIVE

4. Battle: Los Angeles

battlelosangelesposter2.jpg

PLOT : A Marine platoon faces off against an alien invasion in Los Angeles

Director : Jonathan Liebesman

Release Date : 18 March 2011 (India)

Personal Note : Well no movie with this theme has touched the success and appreciation since District 9. Battle LA seems to have the right ingredients, let hope that we have a quality alien invasion movie.

Well, this is actually based on a real-life event that took place in the 40s: battle of LA

I'd like to see how they handle it, given District 9 and given that this was something that actually happened, unlike the total crap that was Independence Day.

Hey dont be so harsh ..... Independence Day was not a "total crap" .... yea it was filled with typical Hollywood charisma, far from realism..... but it still was a total entertainer. Should not limit your self with only serious cinema , atleast I haven't, I enjoy all movies from total pop corn flicks like "G I Joe" to gruesome serious cinema like "The Sea Inside" .......
Anyway there are far crappier stuff out there floating in Hollywood than "Independence day" .........

Last edited:
Hey dont be so harsh ..... Independence Day was not a "total crap" .... yea it was filled with typical Hollywood charisma, far from realism..... but it still was a total entertainer. Should not limit your self with only serious cinema , atleast I haven't, I enjoy all movies from total pop corn flicks like "G I Joe" to gruesome serious cinema like "The Sea Inside" .......

Well, I found it to be an entertainer, all right, only if one displaced one's brain for the two odd hour duration of the movie. More than a decade and a half has passed by and I'm still trying to figure out how a humble Mac of the '90 could even begin to wirelessly log on to a super-sophisticated network of alien computers. :lol:

Anyway there are far crappier stuff out there floating in Hollywood than "Independence day" .........

I'll readily agree with this.

Last edited:
These look interesting. Movie posters may be incorrect... just posting for novelty.

10. Mission Impossible IV

Can't wait to count Anil Kapoor's screen time!

Mission-Impossible-4-On-The-Way.jpg

11. Kung Fu Panda 2

Awesomeness!!!

2008_kung_fu_panda_002.jpg

12. Lincoln

This one is for the director - Steven Spielberg.

daniel-day-lewis-lincoln-with-steven-spielberg.jpg

13. Men In Black III

Part I was total paisa wasool. Hope III is better than II.

14. Life of Pi

Another one for the director - Ang Lee. Both, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Brokeback Mountain are my personal favorites. I can easily forget Hulk and Taking Woodstock. Hope he's at his best.

Last edited:
I thought Independence Day was awesome. I am reminded of an interview of Tarantino I watched. He said he rated Speed very highly. Now, as he put it, people don't think of Speed THAT highly now. However, when it came out, it was HUGE. Now Independence Day didn't give as much thrill as Speed gave but in a smaller way, it holds true here. It was a big impact film at the time it released.

10. Sanctum

sanctummovieposter.jpg

PLOT : The 3-D action-thriller Sanctum follows a team of underwater cave divers on a treacherous expedition to the largest, most beautiful and least accessible cave system on Earth. When a tropical storm forces them deep into the caverns, they must fight raging water, deadly terrain and creeping panic as they search for an unknown escape route to the sea.

Director : Alister Grierson

Release Date : 4 February 2011 (USA)

Personal Note : I would have not included this in my list had I not seen the trailer, looks astounding, something like the mix of The Descent and The Abyss ...... check out the teaser ....

YouTube - Sanctum Movie Trailer Official (HD)

11. Hangover 2

thehangover201.jpg

PLOT : In the follow-up to the record-breaking hit comedy The Hangover, Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms), Alan (Zach Galifianakis) and Doug (Justin Bartha) travel to exotic Thailand for Stus wedding. After the unforgettable bachelor party in Las Vegas, Stu is taking no chances and has opted for a safe, subdued pre-wedding brunch. However, things dont always go as planned. What happens in Vegas may stay in Vegas, but what happens in Bangkok cant even be imagined.

Director : Todd Phillips

Release Date : 26 May 2011 (USA)

Personal Note : Hangover was awsome, so was Due Date, so comes the Hangover 2 by the same director ...... should be worth a wait .... :)

12. Source Code

sourcecodemovie.jpg

PLOT : An action thriller centered on a soldier who wakes up in the body of an unknown man and discovers he's part of a mission to find the bomber of a Chicago commuter train.

Director : Duncan Jones

Release Date : 1 April 2011 (USA)

Personal Note : Forget the tag line just watch the trailer, the concept looks good and its been directed by Ducan who directed MOON which was awsome.

YouTube - Source Code Movie Trailer Official (HD)

I am always amazed the kinds of stupid films a lot of people are attracted to

it takes all kinds of people to make the world -

each one defines himself/herself in contrast -

and without that definition - I would not exist.

and if i am attracted to the profane - that justifies your existence!

live and let live.

Last edited:
I know people are different but I can't fathom why people would spend their hard earned money on stuff like say Houseful and Tees Maar Khan.

I know people are different but I can't fathom why people would spend their hard earned money on stuff like say Houseful and Tees Maar Khan.

yes-

i am amazed that such movies are actually made - and that there are people who pay to watch-

but,

probably instructive for the observer who needs to know the pulse of the laity (and then be disgusted at the crassness of it all!!)

Last edited:
What is stupidity for you maybe escapism for some.

World is made of good and bad. Imagine only good films existed. How boring would that be :)

I don't think a director sets out to make a bad film (mostly). Sometimes it just doesn't fit together. Ravaan is a strong case. What could have been tight thriller is a lost in a meandering script. AB Jr. messed up the character as if it was not irritating already.

Star Trek Sequel

Coming mid-2012.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back