In the era of OLEDs, does it make any sense to buy LED TV?

captrajesh

Staff member
To all the TV experts:

My brother-in-law is wanting to buy the (so called) 55" "QLED TV" as it is much cheaper than OLED TV.

He's a busy lawyer practicing in Supreme Court. Firstly, considering that his usage is very very minimal, does it make sense to doling out the additional moolah for OLED. Secondly, if it still makes sense to buy LED TV, is the above model fit the bill?

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.

That honestly depends on your usage and more importantly on your preferences. Its like asking a car enthusiast why they want a Ferrari when even a Tata Nano would suffice for the basic use case of going from Point A to B. its just a hobby for most of us. If you have the budget and want a better viewing experience, you can get an OLED easily. OLEDs easily have a superior viewing experience compared to a LED. you can find many threads both online and here which compare the difference between the two

Coming back to your case, if budget is no issue, then I would go for an OLED simply because I want the best experience I can afford, specially if leisure time is limited then Why not invest in a superior experience for it? Life isn't just work imo, but that's me and I am definitely biased.

As for the model you linked, thats horribly overpriced unless you are getting some deals locally. And for more context, a lower tier OLED like the LG B series or Samsung's S90C series can be had for around 1Lac when Diwali offers come up.

My preference is always going with latest technology.

I think the LED TV technology is at least 20 years old, and it is better to go for OLED or Mini LED and enjoy the viewing experience even if spend very less time in front of the TV.

To all the TV experts:

My brother-in-law is wanting to buy the (so called) 55" "QLED TV" as it is much cheaper than OLED TV.

He's a busy lawyer practicing in Supreme Court. Firstly, considering that his usage is very very minimal, does it make sense to doling out the additional moolah for OLED. Secondly, if it still makes sense to buy LED TV, is the above model fit the bill?

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.
If he is fine with picture quality, It's just fine. We don't need to buy absolute best in everything. And it's not necessary even.

But, better make him watch OLED in person than take a call.

To think of it, Many people just don't care about the things we fret over. People for whom a decent sound bar price is chump change just are super happy with TV sound and don't care for Sound Bar, HT, Stereo etc.

I have just seen a Demo on OLED TV which I would like to share here. I have also seen it in my old LCD TV, but still the clarity is super, very much enjoyable. Imagine just how beautiful it would be if one watches it in real OLED TV

Video credit: Oled Demo

That honestly depends on your usage and more importantly on your preferences.
Sounds logical.
Coming back to your case, if budget is no issue, then I would go for an OLED simply because I want the best experience I can afford, especially if leisure time is limited then Why not invest in a superior experience for it? Life isn't just work imo, but that's me and I am definitely biased.
I fully agree with your POV. Though I suggested, he has a mental block as far as spending higher moolah. Hence this thread, to make him realise what people in the know of things have to say about the issue
As for the model you linked, thats horribly overpriced unless you are getting some deals locally. And for more context, a lower tier OLED like the LG B series or Samsung's S90C series can be had for around 1Lac when Diwali offers come up.
My preference is always going with latest technology.

I think the LED TV technology is at least 20 years old, and it is better to go for OLED or Mini LED and enjoy the viewing experience even if spend very less time in front of the TV.
Thanks guys. Points well taken.
If he is fine with picture quality, It's just fine. We don't need to buy absolute best in everything. And it's not necessary even.

But, better make him watch OLED in person than take a call.

To think of it, Many people just don't care about the things we fret over. People for whom a decent sound bar price is chump change just are super happy with TV sound and don't care for Sound Bar, HT, Stereo etc.
He's going to like your suggestion as it is in alignment with your thought process. :D
I have just seen a Demo on OLED TV which I would like to share here. I have also seen it in my old LCD TV, but still the clarity is super, very much enjoyable. Imagine just how beautiful it would be if one watches it in real OLED TV

Video credit: Oled Demo
Thanks so much for the link. He's also going through the posts. It sure is helpful.

Ask him to view his regular content on both OLED and LED. Mostly it would be ott, I believe.
If he chooses led, he can spend the savings on decent sound(active speakers).
IMHO Sony is superior in led.

Sounds logical.

I fully agree with your POV. Though I suggested, he has a mental block as far as spending higher moolah. Hence this thread, to make him realise what people in the know of things have to say about the issue
the best way would be to take him to a RD/Croma and let him see the difference between the two himself, and then let him make the call on what he prefers, thats how I convinced my BIL too, just took him to a store and luckily there was an OLED/LED side-by-side and I just let him compare the two and see what he prefers.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back