New age Amps like Fosi Audio TB10D or go for time-testing Marantz PM6007

I have a Harman kardon AVR 3550 from 2002 ....it's got 65 watts real watts not the fake ones and 28 ampere's high current capacity . I run my Irving bud fried speakers with them in a 2.1 running Spotify on a Ubuntu streamer.

I wonder how I can improve the sound...sounds good right now and the amplifier has a good power supply so it sounds good.

One way I was thinking was to use a pre outs on my AVR 240 Harman kardon, making that a pre amp, with fosi monoblocks power amps for front left and right. Using subwoofer out .
The question is how much better will it sound as compared to my current AVR 3550 amplifier

Last edited:
These low power amps are created using chips like tripath etc. Technically speaking, they sound great if the speakers connected are very sensitive. I know someone who runs a high end audionote speaker with the amptastic mini. Works fine. He has an audionote amp too. However, the speaker is very sensitive and created with low power tube amps in mind.

With normal speakers (even the ones that are around 90db), stay with traditional amplifiers. The tiny fellas will not have any power reserves. Bass gets weak and high gets harsh as a consequence. And music will sound like it is all happening in slow motion.
That is disappointing. :( I have Mission QX2 MK2 whose sensitivity is 88 dB. Thought of trying these amps.

If you want to try, then go with the Fosi ZA3 monoblocks i.e. a separate unit for each speaker. Have tried it with them and it makes for a good pairing.
I wanted a low price entry hence went with the V3. I dont listen to loud levels as my set-up is in the living room (no dedicated room), so I am good with its performance, price-performance actually.

Any updates on the fosi monoblocks and how they compare to other options. ? They measure really well though. Saw audio science review of them.
Sorry I havent tried them so far. Been too tied up to even fire up my system. I cant comment on the ASR crowd liking them, as the members there mostly prefer a neutral and uncolored sound.

They don't apparently. Look at Erin's review.
They and the ZA3 are both rated equivalent by Erin.

Heat is an issue though.

V3 Measured better than the ZA3 by Erin.

He didn't say much more about the sound on YouTube .Said that for his main system he got the high current amplifiers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back