Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

HDMI 1.4 is for 3D rite?

TV is not 3D. so will it work if i connect using 1.4 HDMI

------------
Hi,

Use HDMI 1.4 cable for RECEIVER out to TV. You will get audio return. HDMI 1.4 is not ONLY for 3D TV or only specified to support higher formats! This cable is higher version of HDMI 1.3 cable with added features.

Hi, I just hooked up my new Onkyo HT-S3400 with my Sony KDL-55EX620.
My connection is very simple as follows:
I have only one HDMI cable connected from Cable Box to ONKYO CBL/SAT IN-Jack, then Onkyo OUT-Jack HDMI(V1.4) cable to SONY TV (ARC). I have set ARC to Auto.
I have others Components like PS3, DVD Player, DVR etc connected directly to TV's HDMI input without going through the Receiver, but I have been able to use Onkyo TV/CD input Selector to receive Audio through the Receiver. However, very often, if I switched input selector on the Receiver to CBL/SAT and back or changed SONY TV's own input selector to other Video source and back, the sound from TV/CD input selector just dropped with no sound coming out at all until I have to power off the Receiver and back ON a few times to get the sound back. I have no problem with sound coming out from CBL/SAT input selector.
What seems to be the problem?
Is there any setting I need to look at?

Also when I power off the Receiver, it powers off my TV as well. How can I disable this feature?

I have others Components like PS3, DVD Player, DVR etc connected directly to TV's HDMI input without going through the Receiver, but I have been able to use Onkyo TV/CD input Selector to receive Audio through the Receiver.

Hi,

You have to route all sources such as DVD, DVR or Blu-Ray through Receiver only, then by selecting proper source you will get sound without fail.

Hi everybody. This is my first post in the forums. I have tried to find an answer for my problem but haven't been able to locate and info. I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I recently purchased the HT S3400 a few weeks ago and am happy overall with the sound quality. I have the system connected by HDMI cables to my: Comcast HD cable box, samsung bluray player, xbox 360, and my Samsung plasma HDTV and have reset the Onkyo settings back to default to make things simpler. Since initially setting it up, I am having a problem with the sound cutting out for 1-2 seconds, randomly. I haven't noticed this problem with the xbox or bluray player (although I don't use them often so I can't count that out entirely), it has only happened when watching cable so far. I tried switching the cable box to a different HDMI input and the problem is still there. Of course, Comcast customer service is blaming the speaker system and Onkyo suggests it is the cable box that is faulty. Has anyone else encountered this problem and know a fix for it?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Kristie

Onkyo HT S3400 is now available in grihavaibhava bangalore. price is 23990. i got a call from them today. 2 weeks back when i went to buy, it was out of stock

Ebay has the deal for 3400 back with 24990 with addition of a discount coupon it should be a good buy. People waiting on the fence can take this deal Onkyo 3400

Thanks.

Hi Everyone
I am new to this forum recently i brought Onkyo 3400 after reading all your reviews :-) Thanks to all.
I got it from Barton Centre,MG Road Onkyo 3400 = 24990,Sony BR Player =8000,1 HDMI cable and 2 BR Movies(faster and Tourist) and door delivery free ..
I luv the sound though this is my first HTS.
Got Airtel connection and HD Channel sound is not impressive though i am using Optical cable suggested by Onkyo agent..Any thoughts ??

Thanks

Does anyone know if you can play music while watching TV with this system? And if so, how do you do it? Any information would be greatly appreicated!!

Please help me clear my doubt.

Onkyo 3400 is a 5.1 system. Most of our TV channels broadcast through DTH are 2 channel only. only few HD channels transmit 5.1
So is it useful to buy 5.1 if the main usage is only watching TV channels?

What will happen to 2 channel sound when connected to 3400.

Please help me clear my doubt.

Onkyo 3400 is a 5.1 system. Most of our TV channels broadcast through DTH are 2 channel only. only few HD channels transmit 5.1
So is it useful to buy 5.1 if the main usage is only watching TV channels?

What will happen to 2 channel sound when connected to 3400.

Hi
If you intend to watch mostly tv channels then there is no point in getting a 5.1 system. You can better go for a couple of good bookshelves and use the tv-out cable and connect and still can enjoy good sound compared to the tv speakers.
But to be sure that if you want to see a blu-ray or a dvd movie in 5.1 then 3400 will surely keep you future ready.

Thanks

Hi
If you intend to watch mostly tv channels then there is no point in getting a 5.1 system. You can better go for a couple of good bookshelves and use the tv-out cable and connect and still can enjoy good sound compared to the tv speakers.
But to be sure that if you want to see a blu-ray or a dvd movie in 5.1 then 3400 will surely keep you future ready.

Thanks

using 3400, still i can get better sound than TV for normal channels, rite?
I will be watching dvds also, but mostly will be TV viewing.

what will happen to sound when watching TV channels connected to 3400? will that give good 2.1 sound when compared to bookshelves

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back