Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

1. AVR HT-R 390 bundled with Onkyo's S3400, and
2. Pioneer's Standalone AVR VSX-821-K

Do you think that the sound quality will be significant difference between the two if I use the following path:

HD Media Player(via HDMI/Optical) ---> AVR (2.0 analog o/p) ---> Stereo Integrated Amp ---> FS Speakers

Recently I purchased this model (thanks to the forum)... I have run into one problem and need solution.

I have connected Hathway Set-top box HDMI OUT to Onkyo HDMI IN and Onkyo HDMI OUT to TV HDMI IN... i am unable to see the picture even after selecting the correct Input on the TV and also on the Onkyo...

This probelm is happening only with the Hathway Set top Box. However, the DVD player which is connected in the same way with the other HDMI Input of Onkyo is working fine and i can see the picture..

Please help me in resolving this issue

This may be due to HDMI handshake issue which is a known problem with STBs. Turn the devices ON in the order of TV, Receiver and last the STB. If this doesn't work then you will need to connect the STB directly to TV and use SPDIF out of TV or STB for audio.

I am getting a HTS 3400 at around 25500 from Onkyo dealer after a lot of bargaining. Reliance digital is offering HTS 3300 at 21000 (I haven't bargained yet). Is there any difference between these two other than one extra HDMI port in HTS 3400? I think 3 HDMI ports are more than sufficient for me and would really like to save these 5000 bucks to invest in HTPC. Any help is much appreciated.

I have connected Optical Out from Hathway HD Set-top box to Optical Input of my Onkyo receiver... But I don't see the receiver recognising as Dolby audio signal for any of the HD channels eventhough I am able to hear the sound as 5.1... However it recognises correctly for DVD's...

Let me know your thoughts..?

Last edited:
hi
bought a new onkyo hts 3400 for my brother-in-law. this is his first ht system, bought from modren world he said that the price has been increased and he gave it for 28000/=. is the price good or is it on higher side?

hi
bought a new onkyo hts 3400 for my brother-in-law. this is his first ht system, bought from modren world he said that the price has been increased and he gave it for 28000/=. is the price good or is it on higher side?

price is definitely on higher side, I guess denon 1312XP must also be increased but if its around 30K then compared to onkyo it has powered sub which will be good got ppl who want to upgrade their speaker in future else for the ones who want to stick with 3400 for a long time then its good option

Had a chance to see how speaker replacements work with hts3300 yesterday at a fellow HFV member's place. He had connected a pair of DNM PB 101 as a B speaker set for stereo music and it sounded way better than the stock speakers. Quite bright and lacking bass since the sub doesn't work on B setting, but day-night difference in the clarity and punch. Would imagine speakers with some more bass capability and EQ corrections would bring the SQ up considerably.
Members who had been to the last Mumbai meet up would remember these budget speakers (under 10k if I remember right) that were demo-ed by the manufacturer Dilip Bajaj.

The experience has given me hope that there may be workable options to get some decent music quality out of the 3400 yet.

Anybody else has experience of satisfactory speaker replacements on a budget for 3300/3400?

Connected "Paradigm Titan MOnitors" to Onkyo HTS-3300. Sound quality on B position is quite good. Actual I had 'Denon PMA-510AE' separate IA for these paradigm monitors. Bass and punch through Denon is better than ONKYO receiver.

I bought a New HTS 3400 recently from Dubai . Is there any basic setting which need to be done in the receivers .As the Chennai Onkyo dealer was saying there are primary setting that to be made for getting a good quality sound .

.I will be using it for Playing movies & Music only .Presently i don't have a Player so will be using my Samsung LA32D450G TV for playing both .I am planning to connect my Optical out from my TV to connect to my 3400 .

Can any one help me in setting my receivers .

Thanks

Dinesh

Is there any good online electronic shop in Dubai?
When i checked in ebay.ae the price was around 18K Inr
From where you guys are getting at this cheap price?

Hi Guys ,

I connected my 3400 with my Sam LCD with the HDMI out in AVR but when i switch my TV to the HDMI port which is connected to my 3400 i find a blue blank screen . Is there any option to view the Onkyo screen in my TV .

Pls help.

Dinesh

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back