Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

Hi Guys ,

I connected my 3400 with my Sam LCD with the HDMI out in AVR but when i switch my TV to the HDMI port which is connected to my 3400 i find a blue blank screen . Is there any option to view the Onkyo screen in my TV .

Pls help.

Dinesh

I think the menu comes only after pressing set up option on remote.

I think the menu comes only after pressing set up option on remote.

you can call me @ 9731864926 after 8pm and I can help you out.

I would like to know, is it you are facing this issue 1st time or you are doing the setup for 1st time. let me know

1) How many HDMI ports are there in your TV?
2) are you sure you have connected the HDMI cable to the HDMI out of AVR?

Thanks for your reply

i am doing the setup for the 1st time .

There are 2 HDMI ports in my TV . yes the HDMI cable is connected to the AVR out .

Thanks for your reply

i am doing the setup for the 1st time .

There are 2 HDMI ports in my TV . yes the HDMI cable is connected to the AVR out .

ok! then you must check the following

1) if you have 2 HDMI then, you must have HDMI1,2 in remote option, try that.

2) Then, make sure the source is properly selected. its difficult to explain in email. you can call me.

Bought 3400 with LG BD player at 30000 from reliance digital have connected it to Tata sky HD and Apple TV and am loving the sound.

my problem though is cant get apple tv to stream 5.1 to the AVR though i am playing 5.1 source material from itunes. when i check for info it shows 2.1 source PCM and out PLII 5.1

Any way i can solve this issue

A bit late, but I'm also now a proud owner of Onkyo 3400. And there is a lot to learn. Have started reading this thread (and the other reviews thread). Much helpful.

Hi Ashitosh78,
What format from Apple TV you are playing?
-Thanks

I am playing MP4 format Gladiator movie

Not an expert in formats have tried a couple of sample surround sound 5.1 MP3 files downloaded from the net but still shows PCM steria.

my problem though is cant get apple tv to stream 5.1 to the AVR though i am playing 5.1 source material from itunes. when i check for info it shows 2.1 source PCM and out PLII 5.1

Any way i can solve this issue

On your Apple TV, go to "Settings" --> "Audio & Video".
Navigate to the "Dolby Digital Out" option and push the "Select" button on your Apple Remote until it is "On".

On your Apple TV, go to "Settings" --> "Audio & Video".
Navigate to the "Dolby Digital Out" option and push the "Select" button on your Apple Remote until it is "On".

have done that but still input shows PCM 2.0

I am now suspecting that the source material i m playing might not have dolby digital.

Do you know where i can download a 5.1 dolby test file to check if that plays as dolby on my apple tv

Thanks for the response.

have done that but still input shows PCM 2.0

I am now suspecting that the source material i m playing might not have dolby digital.

Do you know where i can download a 5.1 dolby test file to check if that plays as dolby on my apple tv

Thanks for the response.

Download them from here
High Definition Trailers (HD) - Demo World

Click on the numbers below the "Part" column to download the files

What are the connectivity cables i need to get with onkyo 3400. I have HDMI cables. And i need optical connectivity cable for sound. any thing else?

What are your sources? For most devices, HDMI cable is enough. For some HD DTH, old DVP etc. you may need optical or coaxial cable to get 5.1

I am planning to get a DTH HD and use my desktop as sources(Need to find a cheaper graphics card with HDMI Out). Usage is 70% for watching movies from desktop.

I am planning to get a DTH HD and use my desktop as sources(Need to find a cheaper graphics card with HDMI Out). Usage is 70% for watching movies from desktop.

You need only three HDMI cables - two to connect STB, PC to AVR and one to TV from AVR. Some HD DTH support 5.1 over optical/coaxial only. In that case you will need a digital cable also. For PC use a GPU like nVidia GT440.

Thanks Biju. My friend bought it in Dubai. Just saw that through video chat :yahoo: He may not be able to bring it in one step. He will bring the receiver and 2-3 speakers now and remaining speakers and woofer by end of may. I will be getting it by end of may as he told me he will be setting up the whole system and use it for 2 days at his home and then only give me:sad:.

Hi experts

I have been trying hard to callibrate by speakers and HTS system to optimum level. I have a question though.

The speaker levels (all center fron L & R, SW, Rear L&R) can be set from -12 to + 12 with 0 being in balance. What does this mean is it just the volume of the speaker or does it refer to the volume in reference to something.

Can somebody please suggest the best way to callibrate my setting as this one does not have auto callibration.

thanks in advance

(just to make my above query more clearer i am confused if all my speakers are set to 0 db and i crank up centre to +2db how would it be different to if i keep centre to 0db and lower all my other speakers to -2 so that the dialogues are clearer)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back