SACD

nandac

Some of my favorite CDs are like 25 years old.

I can hear the SQ difference between them and new CDs I buy.

So for some of my favorite 20 to 30 albums or so I would like to buy newer format CDs with better SQ.

I read about SACDs and SHM CDs - any views on which is better from forum members?

And are japanese versions of them superior than their European/American counterparts?

Also SACDs require special SACD players? I read Sony bluray players (UBP-X800M2) are capable of playing these - but is that the optimal way of playing SACDs?

I also see OPPO players - from a few years back still selling for premium price - are these worth it?

Appreciate the insights on this subject from forum members.

Last edited:
Some of my favorite CDs are like 25 years old.

I can hear the SQ difference between them and new CDs I buy.

So for some of my favorite 20 to 30 albums or so I would like to buy newer format CDs with better SQ.

I read about SACDs and SHM CDs - any views on which is better from forum members?

And are japanese versions of them superior than their European/American counterparts?

Also SACDs require special SACD players? I read Sony bluray players (UBP-X800M2) are capable of playing these - but is that the optimal way of playing SACDs?

I also see OPPO players - from a few years back still selling for premium price - are these worth it?

Appreciate the insights on this subject from forum members.

This is dependent on many factors to start with
i) Your current cdt/cdp would matter, if you are using a higher end CDT and a good dac then none of the OPPO or Sony UBP would come close to playback for SACD or normal cds

ii) SACD playback on its original format needs one to use the dac onboard the cdp units. The DAC of OPPO 103 is average at best , the 205/105 might be a little better . True SACD playback would need a pretty high end CDP & for 20-30 cds one might feel they are better off playing them on better cd transports instead ( most SACD are hybrid & play on Redbook format too )

iii) A good compromise might be a 205 OPPO which is like a Swiss knife which does everything well & in addition supports 4k playback too

Thanks for the feedback. I have an Arcam CD5 cd player which I bought a few months back.

So I am thinking I will either go the SACD hybrid or the SHM route. Thanks.

So I am thinking I will either go the SACD hybrid or the SHM route. Thanks.
look for SACD players with "digital in", so that you can use them as a DAC. Generally good SACD players are with great DAC implementation. Marantz SA10 and Ki-Rubi for example..

This way you can combine the budget of CDP and DAC and get a good thing for your self

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back