Thread for the Coffee lovers

I swear by the simple coffee filter. Bought for Rs.150 from the local market. I use coffee powder from Coorg.

Filter coffee is the best i have ever tasted. Beats Barista, Cafe Coffee Day even the coffee made by a washing machine sized coffee maker in office which grinds the coffee beans when you press a button (makes it freshly ground) :-)

I drink 2-3 cups of raw coffee everyday without sugar and milk. I use the Morphy Richards machine with no problem. I use the Bru Ground Coffee Powder which I find very good.Clean the filter well after each use and do not use any sharp object or metal but clean under running cold tap water and your filter will have no problem or damage.

@Deba,
I have to learn from you how to use and maintain coffee maker (Morphy Richards brand). Which model do you have? Did you ever have any dripping problem through it? Is the Bru Ground coffee powder is coarsely ground?

I haven;t found any at a convenient location :( A local store that boasts Coorg products including honey gives dirt for coffee :mad:

PM me if you are coming to Bangalore so I can give you directions.
Will do. Thanks!

On that note I always found the India Coffee House to be average when it comes to coffee - I don't know what exactly but I can't use Taste AND Flavor to describe their coffee. Either one is missing and I can't make up my mind which!! :ohyeah:

--G0bble

You mean the good old India Coffee House on MG Road? Yes that was an institution.

In case you didnt know , they still run a place in the Coffee Board HO Bldg, neat Vidhana Soudha. Once that closes up up, it will probably be curtains!

I have fond memories of absolutely fantastic coffee and snacks served there by waiters who probably were as old as the place itself. I agree the quality had gone down quite a bit during their last few years. Coffee House and Lake View (ofcourse, along with Pekos, Mojo & Windsor) have been the setting for many a wonderful memory for me. Sigh!

No tea lovers here?coffee is the drink for me when i am on duty. A CCD Counter. Provides it for 10rs (tastes much much better than what they sell at 50 or more in their time pass outlets which always has a sonodyne system playing bloated bass). The coffee i like most is from the Nescafe outlet near post office is Panjim.

However , TEA is my preferred drink. I can have tea anytime of the day and night, before food,after food etc. But it has to be good. If not, i cant gulp it. It has to go down the drain after few sips.

Are there any tea makers in market? Anyway i dont think i will waste money in one. I myself make good tea and all my family members(except the kids) make very good tea.

No tea lovers here?coffee is the drink for me when i am on duty. A CCD Counter. Provides it for 10rs (tastes much much better than what they sell at 50 or more in their time pass outlets which always has a sonodyne system playing bloated bass). The coffee i like most is from the Nescafe outlet near post office is Panjim.

However , TEA is my preferred drink. I can have tea anytime of the day and night, before food,after food etc. But it has to be good. If not, i cant gulp it. It has to go down the drain after few sips.

Are there any tea makers in market? Anyway i dont think i will waste money in one. I myself make good tea and all my family members(except the kids) make very good tea.

CCD Counter? The concoction they sell is vile, I tell you! Love tea as well, but I usually pick-up some fresh leaves from the estates and not the branded dust that most big names seem to peddle. Either that or no tea at all for me. However, the best I've tasted was a Chinese white variety. Was almost like sipping on warm (dry) white wine! I picked up a bunch of tea mugs with diffusers like this one for about 30 bucks a pop. Works like a charm, especially for the milder and maltier varieties like Assam...

Oh Morning Tea is my favorite ritual! I dont go to sleep a single day in my life without anticipating the next mornings cuppa tea :ohyeah: And it needs to be made by my own hands.

These days its "Society" brand (Assam) for me else I alternate between Red Label or Taj. However been bored of these teas since many months.
Society is the just the right mix of strength and flavor for me. :licklips:

My other favorites are mild organic green tea (without milk) which makes my mind more alert and sharp than a cuppa regular Chai or even coffee in a subtle fashion. My other favorites for black tea is Lipton Darjeeling in the green pack. And I just got a pack of organic tea from Korakundah Estate from my recent visit to Conoor - one that has won international acclaim year after year. Yet to open it as I haven't been in the mood for a black tea in a while. I always have black with honey. Like coffee Honey loses its magic when it meets boiling water. It also loses its medicinal value.

On that note - the worst thing one can do to ones cuppa chai or coffee is boil sugar in the mix - makes it taste like sugar boiled Ravalgon toffee :lol:

Like coffee I have a ritual for tea as well :ohyeah:
I hate boiled tea. One has to switch off the gas at the instant the tea leaves are thrown into boiling water, then cover it immediately and let it brew for 5 mins. The water has to be on high boil not simmering.
Again milk just enough to color it pale red. - too much of it kills the flavor.

Incidentally I have discovered that to get the lip smacking well permeated flavor, one should use a mix of the cheaper dust tea with a bit of premium leaves thrown in. I used to keep the Lipton Darjeeling for that earlier, now fell out of the habit for the sake of a change.

Cheers to a well brewed cuppa Chai :thumbsup:

--G0bble

appreciating the subtle nuances of your favourite Darjeeling would be right up a finicky audiophile's alley...
though i cannot call myself an avid tea drinker..i do appreciate a good cup of well brewed tea (just tea...no sugar, salt, milk, ginger..)..
the most famous Darjeeling teas come from organic gardens like this one..Makaibari Tea Estates - Darjeeling Organic Tea - Buy Tea Online..
but forum members will be pleasantly surprised to savour this unique offering from a Sikkim garden called Temi...
Review: Golden Tips Tea Temi Tea, Clonal, Second Flush 2010 | Teaviews.com....

I concur about the tea in Sikkim, some of the best I've had the fortune to taste. It was so good, I was drinking more tea than beer while I was there. Anyone knows any specialty tea shops(?) that ships the leaves within India?

we bought enough coffee powder to last us a few years.
OMG, few years!!:eek: Will there be any flavour left?

I'm the only coffee drinker in my house. I used to pick up 100 gms freshly ground coffee mostly from 'Coffee Day'. I've noted that the brew on the second day doesn't taste the same. By the 7th day, the whole flavour would vanish. Keeping it in airtight containers under refrigeration would improve things a wee bit. I couldn't take it anymore and stopped it altogether and get my cuppa from office but for obvious reasons, the quality is nothing to write home about.

Where one can get a decent Stainless steel Percolator at Delhi for filter coffee?

Try Karol Bagh, the road behind Ajmal Khan Road has South Indian market. Look for shops selling stainless steel vessels.

Since my childhood in Simla I have been drinking Lopchu, and it is still the only brewed tea leaves+milk+sugar that I still consume. The blue pack should be roughly 175 for 250g and the pink pack around 250 per 250g. It's not possible to keep up with the monthly inflation, therefore prices may not be accurate :)

Lopchu Tea Main

Apart from Lopchu we normally have 8-10 kind of teas at home. All other teas are strictly the no milk, no sugar variety! My favorites are freshly and lightly brewed Earl Grey, Green Tea and Jasmine Tea. Also Kashmiri Kahwa, Kangra Tea and the Twinings tea bags flavoured with black currant,orange, grapefruit, cranberry etc. CTC black tea is good for lemon tea but I can't stand it with milk.

And by the way, black filter coffee with Remy Martin or Hennessey Cognac is probably the tastiest and most satisfying coffee :)

OMG, few years!! Will there be any flavour left?

The coffee powder we got from the plantation in Coorg is packed in 250g pouches made from thick, good quality foil. We open one pouch at a time and the rest of the pouches are kept in airtight jars. We have not experienced any change in taste even after two years. The vanilla pods have dried up and blackened, but they still taste good. When we run out of stock in a few months time, we will need to compromise. The powder sold by CCD seems to be roughly half as potent. And there is no shop selling vanilla pods in Chandigarh :sad:

Before our departure for Chandigarh we bought enough coffee powder to last us a few years.

And please don't ruin it by adding milk :)

OMG, few years!!:eek: Will there be any flavour left?

I'm the only coffee drinker in my house. I used to pick up 100 gms freshly ground coffee mostly from 'Coffee Day'. I've noted that the brew on the second day doesn't taste the same. By the 7th day, the whole flavour would vanish. Keeping it in airtight containers under refrigeration would improve things a wee bit.

Exactly my thoughts. I have no choice but buy 200g as minimum quantity and it lasts about 3 weeks. But maybe I should buy a Coffee grinder and grind my own beans?

Any suggesstions for a good grinder that will retain the aroma and flavor or shall I just use my Mixie's dry grinder and save 1000 bucks?

Apart from Lopchu we normally have 8-10 kind of teas at home. All other teas are strictly the no milk, no sugar variety! My favorites are freshly and lightly brewed Earl Grey, Green Tea and Jasmine Tea. Also Kashmiri Kahwa, Kangra Tea and the Twinings tea bags flavoured with black currant,orange, grapefruit, cranberry etc. CTC black tea is good for lemon tea but I can't stand it with milk.

And by the way, black filter coffee with Remy Martin or Hennessey Cognac is probably the tastiest and most satisfying coffee :)

Flavors of any kind give me instant nausea. :(
But yes I agree milk does corrupt the taste a bit. I did try something called Irish Cream in my coffee once after an afternoon nap, it was the most beautiful and emotionally vivid sunset I ever enjoyed (was there LSD in it? :rolleyes:)

--G0bble

I love my music but I can't call myself an audiophile.

I love tea (&coffee to some extent) but after going through all the posts here I have understood that I am neither 'Tea'phile or 'coffee'phile.:( :).

I like my tea and my coffee with sugar and milk but it has to be a perfect blend. It can be from any plantation/brand/organic/not so organic etc but it has to taste good. It can be leaf/powder/bean anything. Any kind of maker/filter/percolator. Not being a a phile of these things I can enjoy my tea at various places including a cutting chai at road side. I enjoy filter coffee and instant coffee equally. Only no no thing is tea bags. It becomes too cold till tea in the bag mixes adequately. If i try to drink it hot,it is not strong enough.

I love my music but I can't call myself an audiophile.

I love tea (&coffee to some extent) but after going through all the posts here I have understood that I am neither 'Tea'phile or 'coffee'phile.:( :).

I like my tea and my coffee with sugar and milk but it has to be a perfect blend. It can be from any plantation/brand/organic/not so organic etc but it has to taste good. It can be leaf/powder/bean anything. Any kind of maker/filter/percolator. Not being a a phile of these things I can enjoy my tea at various places including a cutting chai at road side. I enjoy filter coffee and instant coffee equally. Only no no thing is tea bags. It becomes too cold till tea in the bag mixes adequately. If i try to drink it hot,it is not strong enough.

But I am in everything a discerning 'Phile'
Be it Tea Coffee or an Audiophile
Giving me those opportunities to Rile
Those that believe in Snake Oil

Cheers
:)

That was too good and typical Gobble.
Do you write for any magazine? If not,try it. You should get good response from readers.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back